BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why?

The guy has a great scoring record in the PL, and especially against us. I doubt we would be able to match spurs valuation, especially if Bent is valued at £18m. :wacko: Foreign is the way to go!

Why? Because he's crap!!!!!!!!!

He only ever scores when you're 2/3 up and is the most selfish player on the planet, coupled with the fact he passes the buck all the time on the pitch.

The fact he has had more clubs that Tiger Woods says a lot.

Sunderland are free to blow £15m on him.

Did I mention I really hate Robbie Keane? :lol:

Charlie Davies is not good enough at this point to play in the EPL. He scored one goal in the ConFed tournament against Egypt. He is fast enough, but he is terrible at holding the ball. The Rovers should aim higher than Davies, even as a backup.

Oguchi Onyewu is the central defender you are thinking of. He had a 6 month loan spell at Toon and it was a disaster. He has really come on in the last year and a half. He is much better at being in the proper position. He used to push a lot and get called for cheap fouls. He could be a good player in the EPL, but he's not as good as Samba or Nelsen.

Jay DeMerit is a solid player as well, but there is no reason for the Rovers to waste money on decent central defenders.

The 2 US players not currently playing in the EPL that would help the Rovers are Donovan and Bradley.

Charlie Davies is not good enough at this point to play in the EPL. He scored one goal in the ConFed tournament against Egypt. He is fast enough, but he is terrible at holding the ball. The Rovers should aim higher than Davies, even as a backup.

Oguchi Onyewu is the central defender you are thinking of. He had a 6 month loan spell at Toon and it was a disaster. He has really come on in the last year and a half. He is much better at being in the proper position. He used to push a lot and get called for cheap fouls. He could be a good player in the EPL, but he's not as good as Samba or Nelsen.

Jay DeMerit is a solid player as well, but there is no reason for the Rovers to waste money on decent central defenders.

The 2 US players not currently playing in the EPL that would help the Rovers are Donovan and Bradley.

While I agree w/ your assessment of DeMerit, Surely your conclusion is a windup !!!!! Donovan lacks the cojones and Bradley is not ready for 'prime-time'.

As an aside: I originally read Donovan & Beasley from USA Rover's post... that's why i came in all hot/bothered!!!

PS-- what have they been feeding DeMarcus Beasley in Scotland?? he looks completely past it

I'm sure you have mentioned him Iceman- Modise, I really liked the look of him, skill, a bit of pace and generally a quality central midfield player, certainly would not cost more than £4 million?

Wouldnt go for anything close to 4mill. If we bid anywhere between 500k and 1mill pounds we will get him. He is similar to Pienaar,with much more skill. Pienaar is more of a stable player who will run and run, pick out passes and get back to defend, while Modise is all about taking players on with his skill. Modise is mainly an offensive midfielder and will attack all day.

While I agree w/ your assessment of DeMerit, Surely your conclusion is a windup !!!!! Donovan lacks the cojones and Bradley is not ready for 'prime-time'.

As an aside: I originally read Donovan & Beasley from USA Rover's post... that's why i came in all hot/bothered!!!

PS-- what have they been feeding DeMarcus Beasley in Scotland?? he looks completely past it

Would you prefer Donovan vs Diouf at RW? I don't know if its fair to say he lacks cojones. I'd say that was a fair criticism 3-4 years ago. Landon is stuck in LA because he married a B-list actress who wants to be in Holywood. I bet he'll join a mid table team in Spain or England in January and he'll succeed. Going to Germany to sit behind Toni, Klose and Podolski was a mistake.

Bradley could fit really well with the Rovers. I hated his game at first, but he has really progressed. He actually a good finisher now. I think he'd beat out Dunn.

As for Beasley, I have no clue what happened to him although I never rated him to begin with. The game against Brazil in the group stage was one of the worst performances I've ever seen a player put in. He always relied on pace so maybe he lost some of that with his injuries. His first touch has to be one of the worst in the sport. I hope its the last we see of him at this level. Oh and I think they're feeding him heroin.

He was looking at strikers so it's understandable if that slipped under the radar.

Might also explain Kenwright's visit last week?

hes here hes there hes every @@@@@@@@@ where.......could have sworn i saw him on carlisle services on the m6 at dinner time today.

Nicko, did the Jacobsen deal catch you on the hop or were you aware of it. It seems there's been little mention of him on here and now it appears to be a done deal.

It came as a surprise. I knew they wanted a right back, but I can't say I ever heard his name mentioned.

My Everton source says he was happy to stay there until Moyes went for Naughton at Sheff U a couple of weeks ago and he decided to go elsewhere.

It's got a 'cheap and cheerful' look about it. He has a poor appearance record, but he is a free - so it happens.

The striker signing had better be a good one - been spending time on that one without much joy. Keep coming back to the same name...

Wouldnt go for anything close to 4mill. If we bid anywhere between 500k and 1mill pounds we will get him. He is similar to Pienaar,with much more skill. Pienaar is more of a stable player who will run and run, pick out passes and get back to defend, while Modise is all about taking players on with his skill. Modise is mainly an offensive midfielder and will attack all day.

I'd have a punt on him if he's really available for that kinda money. I assume we had someone there to watch our new boy so you never know?

Obviously Davies.

Exactly how I read it. However much we are prepared to spend on Davies he will not score enough goals to make a difference and we don't have the midfield in any shape or form to make the most of any balls he might knock down. Despite all that's been said pro Davies it's still a big no from me.

I'd have a punt on him if he's really available for that kinda money. I assume we had someone there to watch our new boy so you never know?

Modise plays in our local league. 500k is around 5million rand, and 1mill is about 10mill SA Rands. You flash that sort of cash in SA, and those clubs will be keen to do a deal. Modise is too good to be playing in our local league.

Charlie Davies. He plays for Hammarby in Sweden and has been knocking in goals lately. He is a bundle of energy, quick and tough and looks to me to have the stones for the Premier League.

He is 23 and has enough caps for a permit now.

By the way, if this goes through, am I on ten per cent?

I wrote the following assessment on Charlie Davies in the ConFed cup thread:

Davies plays in Sweden for Hammarby IF. He was ridiculed his first season for being extremely fast but not being able to play football properly, he was always offside and sometimes didn't seem to understand the basics of the game. On the last day of the season he scored a hat-trick, which were his first goals for Hammarby! After that he has improved significantly, and combined his pace (which I think is up there with the best, absolute world class in that department) with scoring 16 goals in his second season. He's sought after by French and German clubs and will probably move during this transfer window. I've seen him quite a lot, and I really believe he can achieve something in those leagues. If he has what it takes to play in the PL is more uncertain, but if he proves that in one of those leagues he will probably be snatched by bigger fishes than us...

Interestingly enough there was an interview with his agent on a Swedish football site this morning, and he said that there was a lot of interest in Davies from German and French clubs, and that he wouldn't get a work permit in England... He also mentioned that Hammarby (who are notorious for their shambolic negotiating, they never get any good deals when selling on their talents) will only get 50 % of whatever fee he will command in a transfer since he was bought to the club by outside finances.

Find it interesting that Nicko has been banging on about Altidore not being able to get a permit with his 16 USMNT appearances, yet says Davies can get one with his 10. What's the difference?

Blackburn Rovers havehad their hands well bitten once before when they signed Davies, how one can suggest spending as much as the £5m quoted on him again,especially now he is 32 years of age, beggers belief.

Granted, he has had another good season at Bolton but he is another year older to retirement.

There are NO positives to come from signing him as far as I can fathom, its only negative.

Rovers have money burning holes in their pockets, the money should be splashed sensibly and professionally and that means laying out top dollar for a good striker, paying that bit extra for someone who will benefit the club.

Sam, if your reading stay clear of him.

Blackburn Rovers havehad their hands well bitten once before when they signed Davies, how one can suggest spending as much as the £5m quoted on him again,especially now he is 32 years of age, beggers belief.

Granted, he has had another good season at Bolton but he is another year older to retirement.

There are NO positives to come from signing him as far as I can fathom, its only negative.

Rovers have money burning holes in their pockets, the money should be splashed sensibly and professionally and that means laying out top dollar for a good striker, paying that bit extra for someone who will benefit the club.

Sam, if your reading stay clear of him.

Probably more chance on facebook. ;) It has been known to work. (allegedly)

Archived