BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

The system allows more goals from midfield and quick balls forward to a target man, if the midfield push on, then the ball drops to them and a pot on goal, very difficult to pickup the midfield, Scholes got many goal for Man U that way, Speed at Bolton did the same, it works, as for teams being more rubbish than us, thats the game, Villa were more rubbish than Everton, so Everton go into Europe!!

You make luck in football, you end the season where you deserve to be, top,bottom or mid table!!

I would love to see free flowing football but to get that we would need two top class midfielers, two top strikers and two top wide men, with a solid defence!!

we cant afford that, the money Chelsea, Man City, United etc are throwing at the game, we cant get near the that way, so, until we build from another way, through the academy, we have to continue as we are, there are no options, flair players are fine, but they dont prform every match and so no consistency,

we havent got the squds of the big boys so thats how it is.

I understand the system but to do it you have to have the guys playing off your target man to score from the knockdowns. My point is that we haven't got them and, if our budget goes on Mr Davies then we aren't going to get them. Our midfield is crocks and/or rubbish so where are you and the manager thinking the goals might come from. And you make your own luck in your own game but what we did last year was fail to pick up points when others around us played poorly and it was only the fact that other teams failed to pick up points on weekends when we stumbled, despite their having winnable games, that meant that, despite rarely playing well, we managed to stay ahead. I never felt comfortable watching us even in games where we took the lead. I'm not asking for free flowing football but who will score?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way to run a club is to back your manager right up until its obvious its wrong. Staying in the league with next to no money year in year out is an achievement in itself, its proven it works, Christ it even worked with Samba up top.

He's proven his way will work even with square pegs in round holes, so what can he do with the players he wants? He's earned that right by keeping us up. He came in fixed the mess we were in and it was a mess and a half, we all watched it and we all knew what was coming. Can you imagine this forum had we gone down, with those down the road passing us on the way up.

We've always backed our man its why ex-managers speak so highly of us, its one of our main attractions to managers. We can't change it now it works, proven. Just as Souness was backed with Grabbi, Hughes with Savage, Ince with Andrews you have to back him and unlike the last one he's proven himself to us, if he wants him he should get him.

Think of it like this Davies (even after his last stint) in exchange for premiership football and not having to endure what our neighbours would have been saying, I for one can live with that.

I dont wonder Nicko gets frustrated sometimes with comments, Sam has a system he wants to play which he feels will be successful for the club, any striker to be considered must be able to play within that system, all the other players mentoned dont really count and even the ones who do, cn they play at premiership level??

So Sam knows a man who can, a man who can do the job he is bought for!! Givet did, Diouff did, so why not trust the fella, he has saved us from relegation with common sense football and he is aware we cant compete technically or financially with the big boys so he plays it the way he knows he can be successful!

Trust me, for a club our size and finances, there is no better man in charge, back him, support him and let him get on with his job, if its Davies, criticise if it all goes wrong and not before, I hope JW does the same.

WHEN it all goes wrong is too late to critisise.

I don't think he was ever replaced...

In terms of being the focal point in attack he was. Sam stuck to his 4-3-3 but played with Davies wide and Anelka up front.

your lovely neighbours have agreed a £3 million fee for Steven Fletcher and offered £1 million for Hamilton's James McCarthy

That's two deals I'd love us to do, especially at those prices. McCarthy is a snip at £1 million.

In terms of being the focal point in attack he was. Sam stuck to his 4-3-3 but played with Davies wide and Anelka up front.

That's two deals I'd love us to do, especially at those prices. McCarthy is a snip at £1 million.

With all due respect that is tosh. I saw Bolton a lot of times when Davies played with and without Anelka. He was always used as the striker who knocked the ball down for his mates. When Anelka came it just meant there was another striker to set things up for. I wonder how many goals Anelka scored from his assists.

As for the Burnley deals - much as I admire Coyley - I have to say neither would be any good for you. Fletcher is not the type Sam would fancy and McCarthy is a gamble who would [if he signs] benefit from being at a club where the manager is from the same background and the cub has time to bring him through gently.

You are working in different markets right now. If Coyley signs who he wants he will have progressed in a big way, but that does not mean the players he wants would be right for you. Your balance is different, you need proven players at the moment. Burnley can afford to experiment a bit more for many reasons.

The best way to run a club is to back your manager right up until its obvious its wrong. Staying in the league with next to no money year in year out is an achievement in itself, its proven it works, Christ it even worked with Samba up top.

He's proven his way will work even with square pegs in round holes, so what can he do with the players he wants? He's earned that right by keeping us up. He came in fixed the mess we were in and it was a mess and a half, we all watched it and we all knew what was coming. Can you imagine this forum had we gone down, with those down the road passing us on the way up.

We've always backed our man its why ex-managers speak so highly of us, its one of our main attractions to managers. We can't change it now it works, proven. Just as Souness was backed with Grabbi, Hughes with Savage, Ince with Andrews you have to back him and unlike the last one he's proven himself to us, if he wants him he should get him.

Think of it like this Davies (even after his last stint) in exchange for premiership football and not having to endure what our neighbours would have been saying, I for one can live with that.

No he shouldn't. Only if it doesn't seriously jeopardise any other signings we need to make. It didn't work really with Samba in that we were very limited with him there and most fans were hoping we'd see something a bit more palatable this season. Not unrealistically good. Just a slight improvement. Davies will be definitely worse to watch because he's deliberately dirty as opposed to the clumsiness of Samba. There's backing your manager and there's paying way over the odds for a very limited player. Personally I don't want Davies at any price, but if we do have to put up with him then, whoever throws a temper tantrum, it has to be at a price that leaves cash to spare for other players or not at all.

They won't get McCarthy at £1m.

He's a serious prospect and could go for £10m upwards if he progresses at the rate expected.

If they get those two, that's some good business for them, unfortunately.

Burnley's bid for McCarthy is the best by some distance. In fact, twice as much as any serious bid that they have.

Middlesbrough are hopeful that the deal is on - that's where I heard it. Villa would do well to sign him. Big wages mind.

Villa have three players already who are similar to Tuncay in where they play (Young, Milner, Ablanghor...). I thought replacing Barry would be the priority?

Encouraging what you said about N'Zonzi. Seems like he could be a good un. Impressed with sam so far, i have to say.

Villa have three players already who are similar to Tuncay in where they play (Young, Milner, Ablanghor...). I thought replacing Barry would be the priority?

Encouraging what you said about N'Zonzi. Seems like he could be a good un. Impressed with sam so far, i have to say.

Tuncay can play several roles and is a bit of a maverick...a good signing if you can afford it. No idea who is replacing Barry. Hvaing seen the kid Gardner he might be worth a run. I like him a lot.

With all due respect that is tosh. I saw Bolton a lot of times when Davies played with and without Anelka. He was always used as the striker who knocked the ball down for his mates. When Anelka came it just meant there was another striker to set things up for. I wonder how many goals Anelka scored from his assists.

Certainly from throw-ins, corners and free-kicks Davies still played that 'knock down' role, but in open play he was playing on the right instead of at the focal point of attack. Campo, Speed and Nolan were playing as a central midfield three that season, they definitely played Diouf and Davies wide of Anelka.

Replace Anelka with Van Nistelooy and we might just have Sam's game plan for next year. :unsure:

Tuncay can play several roles and is a bit of a maverick...a good signing if you can afford it. No idea who is replacing Barry. Hvaing seen the kid Gardner he might be worth a run. I like him a lot.

Have you posted the rovers news tonight Nicko?........Or is there none?

Obviously Jacobson has signed.

Hoping the striker search hots up now, We cant afford to leave it late like Citeh do!

The prices hike up the closer you get to the end of August

Have you posted the rovers news tonight Nicko?........Or is there none?

Obviously Jacobson has signed.

Hoping the striker search hots up now, We cant afford to leave it late like Citeh do!

The prices hike up the closer you get to the end of August

Couple of snippets about 40 minutes and one large whisky ago.

Certainly from throw-ins, corners and free-kicks Davies still played that 'knock down' role, but in open play he was playing on the right instead of at the focal point of attack. Campo, Speed and Nolan were playing as a central midfield three that season, they definitely played Diouf and Davies wide of Anelka.

Replace Anelka with Van Nistelooy and we might just have Sam's game plan for next year. :unsure:

Sam often played Davies on the right - even before Anelka came. I can remember when he ripped Arsenal to pieces down that side.

The point is Davies was put on the oppositions's weakest defender and regularly beat them.

Signing Anelka just changed the way the other players played. Davies had someone to feed in who could run away from the opposition. Beofre that he had to hold it up or set up runners.

The point is the guy is the best target man around.

Please help me with this .. gone -

Ooijer

T'Axe

Derbs

Carlos

Simpson

RSC

Tugay

With Givet effectively already on the wage bill - I must have missed more purchases than I realised

Perhaps on reflection I should have worded it differently.

Bearing in mind the reductions, Sam said 18 I believe was quoted/mentioned, as the ideal number then the youngsters.

Givet may have been on the wage bill, never the less with the two other's he was loaned to us.

I did say almost, Ok 5 contracted players out and 3 in, RSC replacement will mean 1 more, did we only have 19 last season, I must have miss counted.

Di santo in and we seem to have the same number as a month ago. Correct.

Edit.

Strange how you should dig out a post from several days ago, fail to respond to it, edit it, then see fit to use it to try and ridicule/take the p!ss out of what I was saying.

Nice one.

Please help me with this .. gone -

Ooijer

T'Axe

Derbs

Carlos

Simpson

RSC

Tugay

With Givet effectively already on the wage bill - I must have missed more purchases than I realised

True - and you can add to that list Vogel - but you aren't factoring in that 1) Reid is now theoretically fit 2) Gallager and Judge are back from loan 3) Diouf and Givet were signed in Jan without a loss of a player (so really we have signed five - Givet, Diouf, N'Zonzi, Van Heerden, Jackobsen - for those eight gone).

I would actually say we are still heavy in players in midfield, but obviously light up front. In my mind we can only afford, in terms of manageable size, to sign two strikers (one of whom should be Di Santo). A midfielder would neccesitate someone leaving.

Couple of snippets about 40 minutes and one large whisky ago.

Sam often played Davies on the right - even before Anelka came. I can remember when he ripped Arsenal to pieces down that side.

The point is Davies was put on the oppositions's weakest defender and regularly beat them.

Signing Anelka just changed the way the other players played. Davies had someone to feed in who could run away from the opposition. Beofre that he had to hold it up or set up runners.

The point is the guy is the best target man around.

Ahh ye found it!

I wonder if a cheeky loan bid for Bentley could happen?

Obviously he isnt having the best of times at Spurs, The WC is one year away and

His big head must still have one eye on a squad place. He got into the squad at Rovers

so that could well be in the back of his mind?

Maybe............Just Maybe!

For what its worth, signing KD would be pretty damn cr@p IMO. But I would back Big Sams judgement on the subject. The fee is obviously the issue, but I'm sure JW will not be drawn into paying over the odds.

More of an issue is, which Benni Mac will we be getting next season!! I'm hoping Big Sam is going is going tober him up in the close season and we get a goal machine next season. Lets face it, an on form Benni will be like a new signing.

Archived