BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

I'm getting excited. Lets everyone swallow our pride, re-sign DB and a top-shelf forward = top 7.

If only it were that easy. I don't think we have to go back on anything, it is DB who has to swallow his pride and admit he made a mistake. He will never do that. World Cup year mind you, he has to get a starting spot somewhere.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Completely agree with Neill, but we definitely need another wide player. If Diouf or Pedersen are out then we're going to struggle badly for a winger. I know we now have van Heerden on the books but Sam himself has said he doesn't expect him to play much in the first part of the season.

Don't agree. We have a lot of wide options: Diouf, Pedersen, Van Heerden, Hoilett (if we get him a permit), Emerton, Warnock, Doran. I guess if VDM is free it won't do too much harm but the money really should be spent on strikers and, if we can shift someone, a midfielder.

The squad is growing quite large again.

Are we still owed money by Spurs for Bentley? I know they are renowned for paying in instalments/staggered payments and plenty of incentives/bonuses.

Taking Bentley back for a small fee plus the cancellation of money we are owed (if that's the case) would be great business. I can't see him wanting to come back though and there would be a fan backlash if it happened.

One of the main reasons we ended up fighting for our lives was because we never replaced him.

If only it were that easy. I don't think we have to go back on anything, it is DB who has to swallow his pride and admit he made a mistake. He will never do that. World Cup year mind you, he has to get a starting spot somewhere.

Spurs aren't up for selling their mistakes on cheaply, mores the pity. I would doubt Bentley - ego issues aside - would be sold for the six million we could afford. Plus I think even if he did come he would be demotivated and low on confidence. I think it would be a real gamble rather than getting back a guaranteed performer.

To be honest I like the look of Van Heerden and he will want to play for our football club. Plus we have Diouf, Doran and, hopefully, Hoilett knocking around. Focus, and expenditure, needs to be elsewhere.

Emerton is the only decent option out of those really. Warnock always looks rubbish out wide, he might be okay in a regular 4-4-2 but I don't think he fits the bill at all for how Sam sets his teams up.

Doran, Hoilett and van Heerden are huge gambles - we'd be doing extremely well to have one of those contributing to the first team on a regular basis.

I just think Pedersen and Diouf could become very complacent without a bit of competition.

Based on what? Most, if not all Rovers fans I've spoken to have said they'd take Bentley back.

Spoken to plenty of fans myself who were incensed by his drunken rant on SSN and would never want to see him back.

Whilst his rant and unprofessional behaviour at the time really ###### me off I would take him back in a heartbeat.

Don't agree. We have a lot of wide options: Diouf, Pedersen, Van Heerden, Hoilett (if we get him a permit), Emerton, Warnock, Doran. I guess if VDM is free it won't do too much harm but the money really should be spent on strikers and, if we can shift someone, a midfielder.

The squad is growing quite large again.

Neither emerton nor Warnock are actually wide players. Emerton is far better at Centre mid and Warnock at LB or centre mid. We have players who at a pinch could play on the left or right but not as out and out wide players. And with Dunn and Reid as 2 of our current centre mid we need cover there too, so using players like Emerton and Warnock wide may not be an option - we'll in all probability need them in the centre.

Are we still owed money by Spurs for Bentley? I know they are renowned for paying in instalments/staggered payments and plenty of incentives/bonuses.

Taking Bentley back for a small fee plus the cancellation of money we are owed (if that's the case) would be great business. I can't see him wanting to come back though and there would be a fan backlash if it happened.

[b]The club will have its operating costs which will include any repayments from Spurs, so it would still be money out of the transfer kitty[/b]

One of the main reasons we ended up fighting for our lives was because we never replaced him.

The main reason was we had a manager with no direction or tactical nous, nor a backroom team of quality

So we should be able to influence who Sam can and cannot sign?

And we should be able to aid in his tactical choices?

Whether it be football or Industry, a manager must be allowed to manage, otherwise how can you judge him on results??

If Sam has a system he wants to play, he must be able to sign the players who can fit into the system even if some fans arent keen on the players he chooses!

neither supporters nor the board should interfere, Sam is given a transfer budget and he will work within those constraints,

he must be allowed to spend that money on the players he feels can do the job for him, failure to do that, the board would be failing both the club and the manager and more importantly give any future managers an opinion that they would not be able to work at Rovers without interferance from the board!!

It simply must not happen!!

Whether it be football or Industry, a manager must be allowed to manage, otherwise how can you judge him on results??

If Sam has a system he wants to play, he must be able to sign the players who can fit into the system even if some fans arent keen on the players he chooses!

neither supporters nor the board should interfere, Sam is given a transfer budget and he will work within those constraints,

he must be allowed to spend that money on the players he feels can do the job for him, failure to do that, the board would be failing both the club and the manager and more importantly give any future managers an opinion that they would not be able to work at Rovers without interferance from the board!!

It simply must not happen!!

Look I'm not saying he can't have Davies. However, what i want to know is, if he gets close to what Bolton want for him, reputedly 10 million, then that leaves less than 3 million for other players. At the moment I can't see that the players we have to play with Davies are capable of more than a handful of goals between them, regardless of how many times he knocks the ball down to them. So just tell me whether you can and if not, then who you think is possibly available at the kind of money we have left over which will probably be just a couple of million to do the job. We need goals. To get goals you have to create chances yes, but you also have to have players to score them. It's not the signing of Davies I'm objecting to, although i don't want him myself, it's a genuine question as to how we make it work if we buy him for a high fee. Someone else mentioned giggs and Scoles goals and Lampard's too but those are class midfielders, not the crocks and average players we currently have.

On a lighter note - Luca Toni is staying put. Still think it might be worth a cheeky bid though!

It's up to John Williams to protect the financial future of this club, not just immediately but also in the long term. It's fairly obvious the signing a 32 year old for nearly £10 million would cause huge problems for us in a couple of years time. Williams wouldn't be going beyond his power in preventing a deal like that happening.

It's up to John Williams to protect the financial future of this club, not just immediately but also in the long term. It's fairly obvious the signing a 32 year old for nearly £10 million would cause huge problems for us in a couple of years time. Williams wouldn't be going beyond his power in preventing a deal like that happening.

As it stands - after the signings of Jacobsen, N'Zonzi and even Givet and after the loss of Roque, Derbs and the rest - Rovers look like a side that could be close to the relegation zone.

If you don't sign one top striker or two that will remain the case.

What price is that to you? What long-term financial future will that mean?

As it stands - after the signings of Jacobsen, N'Zonzi and even Givet and after the loss of Roque, Derbs and the rest (MOKOENA, OOIJER) - Rovers look like a side that could be close to the relegation zone.

One question. What did Roque , Derbs and the rest do from January and on?

Excellent point - but we do need to strengthen.

Also - I'd rather get Ruud for 1.5m and massive wages for 2 years than Davies for close to 10m.

Not much, but you have also lost Ooijer, Tugay, Villanueva, Simpson as well on top of those two...maybe even Kishanishvili.

You are well short and it would be a struggle without getting in the right strikers.

And I don't mean Big Chris. Remember he was pushed up there because you didn't have a target man.

Do you really want that again?

nicko: you seem to say that nzonzi is signed.. when will it be officially announced?

No idea, time-scales for the 'official announcements' are a bit unpredictable at this time of year. But - like Givet - I think you can take it he is coming.

Not much, but you have also lost Ooijer, Tugay, Villanueva, Simpson as well on top of those two...maybe even Kishanishvili.

You are well short and it would be a struggle without getting in the right strikers.

And I don't mean Big Chris. Remember he was pushed up there because you didn't have a target man.

Do you really want that again?

I don't, but I think you are wrong when you are saying that we are relagtion scrap right now.

One quality striker and a good midfielder and we are ready to rumble.

As it stands - after the signings of Jacobsen, N'Zonzi and even Givet and after the loss of Roque, Derbs and the rest - Rovers look like a side that could be close to the relegation zone.

If you don't sign one top striker or two that will remain the case.

What price is that to you? What long-term financial future will that mean?

touch dramatic considering our form ever since sam took over without using derbyshire, santa, dunn etc.........with a strikeforce of benni and roberts that are still here.

Ooijers been replaced and given tugay legend that he is, was'nt too spritely last season, he is the only one that needs replacing in order to basically put out the same team that would have got 54pts over a season and finding a tugs replacement to give an equel level as he was giving at 34/35 may be hard but to find a player on the same level as last years model should'nt be too hard.

don't panic and don't waste 10m.

Archived