BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Come on now, you must have learnt that Nicko's word is taken as gospel around here. It's dangerous to disagree with his views. Davies is clearly the best option ON THE ENTIRE PLANET. And no, I'm not going to name alternatives, because that is the job of the clubs scouting network and men in the know of football outside England. Suffice to say, there just have to be better options available.

I don't doubt that Davies is / was no.1 on Sam's wish list - it makes sense. However, he simply won't spend the kind of money that is supposedly being demanded.

Don't get smart. The bottom line is the manager wanted Davies the moment Roque left the building. End of.

Only trouble is it's a very hard deal to do. Think that was in the original story too.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Tribal football on the sale of RSC

"I thought it was really good business, the player has got what he wanted and we've got good value for that player," said Big Sam.

"You take the money and use it on someone who does want to play for Blackburn."

mmmm so who wants to play for Rovers then ?

What five or six clubs were chasing him? As soon as we went in that was it he was coming to Villa, I don't remember us having much competition at all, it was an easy deal, his wages were definitely lowered as part of the deal as I remember there being quite a big deal about it, if Nicko knows then ask him about the wages of Sidwell as I could be wrong, but I would be literally amazed if he's on 60k a week mate. Think the Villa financial side is very much overstressed by other teams fans, we aren't a team full of 60/70k wages.

Yeah Lerner has money but we're not that loaded, we spent 50m last year, you can't do that every year, Sidwell going for less than we got him for isn't a reflection of our finances, it's just hard to see how much more we could charge based on his time here, he's shown flashes but injuries held him back, i'd say 4/5m would be a fair price.

Everton, us, Bolton, Newcastle, Fulham all had a look at him. He had a great year with Reading before he signed for Chelsea. Any team outside the top four would have taken Sidwell bar the bampots like Citeh and Spurs. The issue was his wages. Villa matched, or came close to, matching them. Thats why they got him.

Everton, us, Bolton, Newcastle, Fulham all had a look at him. He had a great year with Reading before he signed for Chelsea. Any team outside the top four would have taken Sidwell bar the bampots like Citeh and Spurs. The issue was his wages. Villa matched, or came close to, matching them. Thats why they got him.

Not one of those clubs bid did they? You can't join clubs that don't offer for you, 'having a look' at someone is irrelevant, your making assumptions and you definitely don't know, why would Villa pay Sidwell 60k when Barry was on less at the time? It doesn't make sense at all.

I thought the penny had dropped.

Davies isn't welcome back at Ewood.

Amazing I wasn't aware I'd signed a power of attorney, you don't speak for me sir/madam.

I would love to see ANY of the former players back. Neill, Bentley and Davies. In fact if Neill and Bentley wanted to come back I'd give them a piggyback all the way up the M6 if that would help persuade them.

In spite of the misgivings on this board I am very buzzed about our prospects this season. The primary weakness last year was shipping goals. With the players have now that will not be a problem, we will be rock solid at the back with good cover in front. Something on the creative side would be welcome and any one of the above 3 would be welcome by me at any price even if we blow the whole budget. I can think of players I'd rather have before Davies but that's based on perceived fit with the team more than anything else but whoever Sam buys and whatever the price it will be the right decision. He knows what he's doing and there's a feeling out there street-side that he's building something exciting. Hell I'm excited right now. We have all the cash in the bank and only a couple of places to fill. I'll welcome Davies back, unfortuantely Gartside won't sell anything to Sam so it won't happen. Fluoxetine rules :lol:

It's up to John Williams to protect the financial future of this club, not just immediately but also in the long term. It's fairly obvious the signing a 32 year old for nearly £10 million would cause huge problems for us in a couple of years time. Williams wouldn't be going beyond his power in preventing a deal like that happening.

Absolutely right Le Chuck. I would add also that it is in fact JW's DUTY to protect Rovers long term financial interests. Though before he should step in and stop Sam signing the likes of Davies, he should sit down and talk it through with Sam, and ask Sam to make an acceptable case showing how Rovers are going to benefit in the short, medium and long term by such a signing.

Don't get smart. The bottom line is the manager wanted Davies the moment Roque left the building. End of.

Only trouble is it's a very hard deal to do. Think that was in the original story too.

:lol: You're not my Dad!

After your persistent mockery of 're-sale value' both before and after my posts on the concept, I find your sudden taking of the moral high-ground comically hypocritical.

Furthermore, you cannot feel as though you have somewhat been drawn into the supposed 'squabbling' over Davies when you have been equally persistent in expressing your opinions on the player, views which you know to be controversial. It's as if you consider yourself 'above' it all.

Back when you would provide the great info that you do, but remain neutral, I suppose I somewhat subscribed to your somewhat omniscient persona that you have on here - I rarely doubt the info that you provide us - but I won't subscribe to it when your express your opinions and present them almost as fact, belitting those who dare to challange your view.

Come on now, you must have learnt that Nicko's word is taken as gospel around here. It's dangerous to disagree with his views. Davies is clearly the best option ON THE ENTIRE PLANET. And no, I'm not going to name alternatives, because that is the job of the clubs scouting network and men in the know of football outside England. Suffice to say, there just have to be better options available.

I don't doubt that Davies is / was no.1 on Sam's wish list - it makes sense. However, he simply won't spend the kind of money that is supposedly being demanded. The argument, therefore, that Allardyce or 'your manager' believes him to be the best option is redundant - he's too expensive.

I find this anger directed at nicko amusing - the difference between him and us is that he can look at it dispassionately and we can't.

He's making a simple point. Sam has a tactical plan. It calls for a target man. Davies is a good target man, and Sam's worked with him before and liked it. Sam wants Davies again.

I don't think too many can disagree with the essential points he's made. Now, we mightn't like Davies, because he's a bully, can play very dirty and was a disaster the last time he was here but most of us could be reasonably content with him back, as long as he doesn't cost a fortune. Unfortunately, Bolton don't need to sell and he's an integral part of their setup so it IS going to cost a fortune, and none of us want that. The thought of spending more than 4 million ish on him makes me very sad.

Amazing I wasn't aware I'd signed a power of attorney, you don't speak for me sir/madam.

I would love to see ANY of the former players back. Neill, Bentley and Davies. In fact if Neill and Bentley wanted to come back I'd give them a piggyback all the way up the M6 if that would help persuade them.

In spite of the misgivings on this board I am very buzzed about our prospects this season. The primary weakness last year was shipping goals. With the players have now that will not be a problem, we will be rock solid at the back with good cover in front. Something on the creative side would be welcome and any one of the above 3 would be welcome by me at any price even if we blow the whole budget. I can think of players I'd rather have before Davies but that's based on perceived fit with the team more than anything else but whoever Sam buys and whatever the price it will be the right decision. He knows what he's doing and there's a feeling out there street-side that he's building something exciting. Hell I'm excited right now. We have all the cash in the bank and only a couple of places to fill. I'll welcome Davies back, unfortuantely Gartside won't sell anything to Sam so it won't happen.

Uh, I agree with you on Bentley and Davies for the right prices, but we don't need Neill at the moment.

Absolutely right Le Chuck. I would add also that it is in fact JW's DUTY to protect Rovers long term financial interests. Though before he should step in and stop Sam signing the likes of Davies, he should sit down and talk it through with Sam, and ask Sam to make an acceptable case showing how Rovers are going to benefit in the short, medium and long term by such a signing.

I'm not trying to justify Davies Fife, but they must discuss the alternatives, or lack of them to Davies. Is there anywhere to go if they can't get him? What would the chances be of Sam walking away if JW, who took him on in the full knowledge of the type of football and the type of player that Sam preferred.

How could JW refuse the signing of Davies if the money was there?

:lol: You're not my Dad!

After your persistent mockery of 're-sale value' both before and after my posts on the concept, I find your sudden taking of the moral high-ground comically hypocritical.

Furthermore, you cannot feel as though you have somewhat been drawn into the supposed 'squabbling' over Davies when you have been equally persistent in expressing your opinions on the player, views which you know to be controversial. It's as if you consider yourself 'above' it all.

Back when you would provide the great info that you do, but remain neutral, I suppose I somewhat subscribed to your somewhat omniscient persona that you have on here - I rarely doubt the info that you provide us - but I won't subscribe to it when your express your opinions and present them almost as fact, belitting those who dare to challange your view.

I believe in standing up for something I believe in. You like or you don't, that's up to you. I could have quite easily left the bad smell in the room and walked away.

The point I was trying to make is that 're-sale value' is all very well, but it does not apply in the position you are in just now.

There is a big summit on at the club about potential signings right now and I can promise you that 're-sale value' won't be a factor.

Nicko... in amongst all this talk of Davies I may have missed it but

Do you know whether Davies wants to come or not. Clearly BFS has tapped him up on holiday and I would guess Davies wants to play for him. Any ideas ?

I couldn't possibly comment on that...

However I first heard the Davies thing about a month ago now and it is still lingering. So the manager must think he has a chance.

No, he won't adjust his tactics.

Yes, he needs the players to make it work.

Starting with a target man.

You employed Sam because he plays pragmatic football after the harem-scarem trash you had for a while under his experimental predecessor.

So let the man sign who he wants and stuff the micro-economics.

There just ISN'T a young re-sellable striker around who could play the way that YOUR manager wants. If there was he would [a] cost a fortune with little re-sale value, still be a risk if he came from outside the Premier League and [c] HE WOULD ALREADY BE HERE!

Do you know Mr Nixon, that you get big target men that are comfortable with the ball at their feet as well? It seems like people think all target men are just good for a high ball.

Have to say I'm very surprised to see so many getting on nicko's case. He isn't the manager of BRFC, Big Sam is, nicko just happens to agree with him on Davies. Despite nicko and all who agree, myself included, have asked time and time again to name another striker that fits the bill --- no one has even come close to a viable option. Talking the talk is fine, but when it boils down to it you're found wanting. People are thinking long-term and thinking there will be Santa Cruz/Bentley bargains to magically appear out of nowhere. A striker needs to be signed, and the re-sale thing only applies if we can find such a player. The current market dictates that there isn't such a player around for a decent transfer fee and wages, some of the time that is the case even with Santa money, whether people are willing to accept it or not.

People that oppose this transfer are living in a Footty Manager dream world, not smelling the coffee. BRFCs immediate responsibility isn't to buy a striker that has re-sale value, but to buy one to survive the PL, and maybe help get a better placing. Big Sam got us out of the mire last season when we looked destined for the Mickey Mouse league (which we as a club might not even survive), give him the vote of confidence he's earned. We all remember Davies the first time around, but we've also seen him at Bolton where he's very treasured and team captain. Rovers aren't paying 10 million, I'm sure, but everyone who's had a look at what strikers go for these days and their wages, will surely know that they don't come cheap at this level. Looking for players abroad? We've looked into that as well. We've come to a point where the players that make their living in the top clubs are making so much money that they are even willing to sit on the bench, and won't take a cut to join us for first team football. Big Sam knows the market, he knows the score.

I find this anger directed at nicko amusing - the difference between him and us is that he can look at it dispassionately and we can't.

Anger? :lol: It'd take far more than this for me to get angry.

Despite nicko and all who agree, myself included, have asked time and time again to name another striker that fits the bill --- no one has even come close to a viable option. Talking the talk is fine, but when it boils down to it you're found wanting.

No, we've given the same response time and time again: we know football; we watch it, we play it - some of us live it - but we don't profess to have an intimate knowledge of every league in the world. There is a reason that clubs employ scouts and that is to find the talent that isn't strikingly obvious. I do not believe that there is not ONE other viable option in the entire world than bringing in Kevin Davies for a huge fee.

Too many people on here want there cake and too eat it too, those days are long gone for Rovers.

I cannot believe so many do not trust Sam, JW will be fearing a backlash that will not be warrantted and will only harm our club.

We can build for the future through the academy, Sam was very keen on that at Bolton and will be at Rovers. Thats the future till then with the smallest budget in the league Sam should be allowed to do and sign who he wants.

We went tried and trusted, so try and trust.

OK, some of you lads on here are just incapable of understanding how football works!!

I still find it incredible that strikers some of you are linking are either untried or target men!!

Now, I will tell you this, if things were on an even keel, no I wouldnt choose Davies because of his age, however,

as Nicko has quite rightly pointed out, at this moment in time, there are no other Affordable options available to the manager.

Janko, Zidic etc, totally untried at this level and we could suffer a massive loss in both wages and transfer fee, look at City with Jo, Crespo and Shevchenko at Chelski, look at Forlan at Man U, Morientes at Liverpool, the Russian lad at Spurs!!

All the above successful prior to the premiership and big fees and money too.

You lot are a bookies dream, you would rather take a gamble and I dont think we are in a position to do that, if we had say 95% of what Sam wanted as a squad, yes then the odd gamble, but here we have to get the most intrgal part of the jigsaw to make it work and it appears as though Davies is that piece.

Much has been said about where the goals will come from, I'll tell you from where, all over the park, neither Stelios, Henrik Pederson and the rest scored much after they left Bolton did they, no because Davies was taking two men every time the ball was knocked to him, so he creates havoc and space around him, dont believe me, ask the pros at other clubs, ask the coaches, managers etc, they will all tell you the same thing, yes, he may be unfashionable, unpopular or whatever, but he is bloody good at his job, so good he was Boltons player of the season and just about everthing at Bolton is played through him.

As for not being technically good, well, his technique at what he does is excellent, but a different kind of player tho the ones we keep mentioning, there are as people say, more than one way to suck eggs but we must remember, at the end of the day, if you keep it solid at the back and score at the other end, you win football matches, isnt that the object of the game

Archived