BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

No, we've given the same response time and time again: we know football; we watch it, we play it - some of us live it - but we don't profess to have an intimate knowledge of every league in the world. There is a reason that clubs employ scouts and that is to find the talent that isn't strikingly obvious. I do not believe that there is not ONE other viable option in the entire world than bringing in Kevin Davies for a huge fee.

Yes, and our scouts being deployed all over the world have yet to find someone suitable, makes you think, doesn't it. That's all scouts do, look for players suitable for us. Like I said, smell the coffee.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, some of you lads on here are just incapable of understanding how football works!!

Much has been said about where the goals will come from, I'll tell you from where, all over the park, neither Stelios, Henrik Pederson and the rest scored much after they left Bolton did they, no because Davies was taking two men every time the ball was knocked to him, so he creates havoc and space around him, dont believe me, ask the pros at other clubs, ask the coaches, managers etc, they will all tell you the same thing, yes, he may be unfashionable, unpopular or whatever, but he is bloody good at his job, so good he was Boltons player of the season and just about everthing at Bolton is played through him.

So where will the goals come from?

Pedersen?

Diouf?

Dunn?

Reid?

Grella

If you think that midfield is capable of netting 20 + goals just because Kevin Davies is up front then you are having a laugh. Throw Bentley and someonelse into the equasion and you might have a point. As I've said earlier to make the Davies System work we need 2 new midfielders. As a package of 3 we won't have the funds for it.

We can build for the future through the academy, Sam was very keen on that at Bolton and will be at Rovers.

That's the most absurd statement on this board for years....there's been one player come through the bolton academy in the 10 years or so sam was there...Nolan...people can argue Nicky Hunt, but plainly he's not good enough and never has been. Bolton have had the worst academy in the area for years...in sam's tenure all academy games were played at Bolton School...only in his departure has the club actually invested in the academy... :P

Nicko,

Now Di Matteo looks to be going to WBA. Do you thing Ince will go back to MK Dons?

I don't want to discuss West Brom after passing up the chance of backing Di Matteo at 33-1 last week. But I might answer your question later.

No, we've given the same response time and time again: we know football; we watch it, we play it - some of us live it - but we don't profess to have an intimate knowledge of every league in the world. There is a reason that clubs employ scouts and that is to find the talent that isn't strikingly obvious. I do not believe that there is not ONE other viable option in the entire world than bringing in Kevin Davies for a huge fee.

Do you not think our scouts are flying all over the place and have been for ages, do you understand how much it costs? Clubs have scouts all over the place, £100.00 quid for matey in Devon and matey in Somerset and so on and on and on. Now factor in all the other clubs across the world, thousands all looking for these magic bargains. And we are expected to find them all, first.

Christ if Leicester have a scout just for the Exeter area then how many do you think us a premiership team have on the books in total including all the part-timers.

The point you all completely miss is we cannot take a gamble on that position, Benni is hot and cold, Roberts erratic with his finishing and there's no-one else. Sam wants someone he's knows 10000000% can play the role he feels heneeds. None of the others come with that grantee, none.

I love a flutter but I know when to bet safe and this is one bet where we cannot lose, so safe it is.

Because if it doesn't work out we'll be fighting for our life's again.

Davies is there lynch pin, I'd love to weaken Bolton TBH, you couldn't sign a more important player from them. I wonder how they'd fare with him gone?

One club in Lancashire in the premiership would be great for us.

Another point to consider: what if Davies picked up a mid - long term injury? At 32, he only has a couple of seasons left in him at the top level. A bad injury or series of niggling injuries could reduce that even further.

Seriously, that could happen to a 20 year old world class prospect. Buying a player, any player, is a gamble. Could you imagine signing a 25 year old for 10 million who scored 10 in the opening 10 games and then got an injury that wrecked his career?

Another point to consider: what if Davies picked up a mid - long term injury? At 32, he only has a couple of seasons left in him at the top level. A bad injury or series of niggling injuries could reduce that even further.

That's silly tcj. Absolutely anyone can get injured, it doesn't necessarily happen to the older players. Ask Dunny and Reid.

That's the most absurd statement on this board for years....there's been one player come through the bolton academy in the 10 years or so sam was there...Nolan...people can argue Nicky Hunt, but plainly he's not good enough and never has been. Bolton have had the worst academy in the area for years...in sam's tenure all academy games were played at Bolton School...only in his departure has the club actually invested in the academy... :P

Be very careful there, you may get blown out of the water!!

As every manager will tell you, he will never get the benefit of youth development as by the time success is achieved, the manager is gone!!

Academies are long term investments, kids go there from 7 or 8 years old, should be younger like the Spanish and Dutch,

If a manager was there ten years and three years to set things up, most of the lads would still be only 14!!!

You do know Sam made the move across to a Holistic training method at the academy ten years ago?? they had strong links with Espanyol and worked together on developing players.

Now I mention Espanyol as they are rated one of the top academies in the world and many premier clubs are now adapting to their methods, ones that Sam and Co played a part in. Espanyols is now reaping huge finacial rewards, City just nicked one of their kids and he can play and won't be cheap.

Now since your so informed about the situation regarding youth development in this country I would ask what the FA decided would be best for the future of english youth development???

Thats right the style of coaching that Sam started ten years ago, granted they didn't supply as many as hoped but Sam saw it ten years before the rest.

You would also be aware that the academy was ripped apart under Megson. Sam put together a good blueprint its the role of the academy manager to bring it to fruitition not Sam.

I will now direct you to your first line and await a response as to why its so obsurd, Sam saw it ten years before the rest. And was proven right when the FA introduced the new badges.

You do know Sam made the move across to a Holistic training method at the academy ten years ago?? they had strong links with Espanyol and worked together on developing players. You would also be aware that the academy was ripped apart under Megson who doesn't believe it is the way forward.

Now I mention Espanyol as they are rated one of the top academies in the world and many premier clubs are now adapting to their methods, ones that Sam and Co played a part in. Pity Megson ripped it apart, Espanyols is now reaping huge finacial rewards, City just nicked one of their kids and he can play and won't be cheap.

Now since your so informed about the situation regarding youth development in this country I would ask what the FA decided would be best for the future of english youth development???

Thats right the style of coaching that Sam started ten years ago, granted they didn't supply as many as hoped but Sam saw it ten years before the rest.

You would also be aware that the academy was ripped apart under Megson. Sam put together a good blueprint its the role of the academy manager to bring it to fruitition not Sam.

I will now direct you to your first line and await a response as to why its so obsurd, Sam saw it ten years before the rest. And was proven right when the FA introduced the new badges.

Bloody hell Maji, echo much?

Seriously, that could happen to a 20 year old world class prospect. Buying a player, any player, is a gamble. Could you imagine signing a 25 year old for 10 million who scored 10 in the opening 10 games and then got an injury that wrecked his career?

The point I'm trying to make is that Davies isn't as 'risk-free' or as much of a 'dead-cert' success that many are making him out to be. A 20 year old in his physical peak would be less suscptible to injury and more likely to fully recover and would still have plenty of playing time post-injury. I'm not talking a broken leg here, maybe just a season of niggling injuries.

It's just a small consideration to bare in mind.

OK, some of you lads on here are just incapable of understanding how football works!!

I still find it incredible that strikers some of you are linking are either untried or target men!!

Now, I will tell you this, if things were on an even keel, no I wouldnt choose Davies because of his age, however,

as Nicko has quite rightly pointed out, at this moment in time, there are no other Affordable options available to the manager.

Kelbo, Kevin Davies is not affordable!!!

I find it incredible when Allardyce himself have been told that Davies is not for sale, that you still claim Davies in affordable target. You claim other people are incapable of understanding football but you must be right up there needing a reality check.

The whole notion about an old-fashion target man I don't buy either. Allardyce brought Anelka as the front runner for in the 4-5-1 formation and it worked very well with someone fast that runs channels as well. For long throws we use Samba anyway so what do need Davies for?

Benni out fishing again.

Not sue if this is recent, some comments do however suggest it could be.

"I don't listen much to what is said in the newspapers. :lol: I have my own character, but nobody can doubt my professionalism in the game,"

"I have scheduled a meeting with the club and I'm open to anything. A lot can happen but I do not want to think too far ahead.

"Some clubs have asked about me and that is normal because they are familiar with me. They (Spain or Portugal) would make good destination if I eventually decide to leave the Premier League," he said.

The former Celta Vigo striker went on to say that he was left frustrated by not holding down a regular starting place last season.

"I am not too satisfied because I perhaps should have had more opportunities than my other team-mates.

"But it is a decision that the manager makes and I accept what he says," he concluded.

Benni

Kelbo, Kevin Davies is not affordable!!!

I think you mean you don't want him at that price? That's different.

Some would say that if he's what you want and you have the money, then buy him. Absolutely no point in having the cash in the bank and getting relegated.

Bloody hell Maji, echo much?

Sorry but I honestly feel that too many on here don't fully appreciate the situation we are in. Yes we signed so and so two three years ago for peanuts, but now players move for 80M, 50M and so on back then Zidane was still considered expensive, the bars moved up again. The markets gone crazy and we will struggle to keep up one mistake with our finances as they currently are and we're in trouble, just like last year.

I'd love youth here, Christ I must have the most posts in the youth thread. But we can't get it wrong, Sam's earnt the right to our support and trust but yet we question him. I'm not going to claim to love his style but it works we know it. Davies could come straight in no adaptation at all required he lives locally as well its the safest option by a country mile. Its not ideal, its not perfect but we can't afford that, we need a guaranteed signing.

Sam got Jacobsen on a free most seem happy enough with that and he got him for nothing. He's as canny as Harry (before his millions) he'll wheel and deal and you know if he does it his way we'll still be in the league next year.

We gambled last summer, look what that cost us £Millions and Millions, we need stability we need to stay in the league Sam's way grantee's that. Let him do his job how he feels he needs too.

Keeping Rovers in the league year in year out is a hell of a job, Sam's done it before in exactly the same sort of circumstances, European finishes in the league and a cup final appearance, that even eluded Hughes. If he gets to do it his way we'll do fine and we'll get the stability back and we'll win some games.

Some would say that if he's what you want and you have the money, then buy him. Absolutely no point in having the cash in the bank and getting relegated.

No, I'm referring to Big Sam:

"John told me on Thursday that Kevin Davies is not available," said Allardyce. "As far as I'm concerned that is it."

Still people in this board advocate him as a viable option. It would be better to move on to targets that are not ruled out by the club.

No and there's no point in paying a lot of money for Davies if we don't have anyone capable of sticking the ball in the net when he knocks it down. and that's the problem that i've pointed out several times. Our current squad does not strike me, even if the midfielders get and stay fit, as a squad that will score enough goals. And if we invest too much in one target man, we can't buy other players. I'm not primarily concerned with resale value - that's a nice bonus - but I am concerned that we do look like relegation candidates as it stands and I can't see that being much better with just the acquisition of Davies and one other possible striker especially if that is an untried Chelsea reserve. We have been crying out for a decent midfield for the last couple of seasons now and we get a new manager who still doesn't seem to see that we basically don't have and haven't had for the last season a half way decent defensive midfielder and someone who supplies creativity. I'm not blaming Mr Nixon for that - he's the messenger that's all. I just can't see though why he has become in some ways an apologist for allardyce. It seems as though this issue is even more divisive than the managerial appointment last year. I don't want Davies. I'll put up with him if he comes but I worry about the cost to our club of neglecting other areas of the team that have needed tlc for years if we have to spend over the odds on a journeyman like him.

You do know Sam made the move across to a Holistic training method at the academy ten years ago?? they had strong links with Espanyol and worked together on developing players.

Now I mention Espanyol as they are rated one of the top academies in the world and many premier clubs are now adapting to their methods, ones that Sam and Co played a part in. Espanyols is now reaping huge finacial rewards, City just nicked one of their kids and he can play and won't be cheap.

Where did I say that I was informed on the youth development in this country? All I know is that under sam's guidance as the boss, bolton's academy for the past 10 years has been shyte. No funds, using Bolton School facilities for games, school gyms all across bolton....on top of that, a real lack of flair in the old coaching department. I could tell you some stories...If that's what you call world class coaching, then you don't have a clue what you're on about. On the other hand, my son is now at another local premiership football club's academy and the difference is light years.

Majiball, you are talking rubbish mate. ;)

No, I'm referring to Big Sam:

"John told me on Thursday that Kevin Davies is not available," said Allardyce. "As far as I'm concerned that is it."

Still people in this board advocate him as a viable option. It would be better to move on to targets that are not ruled out by the club.

Like Ruudy :):tu:

The point I'm trying to make is that Davies isn't as 'risk-free' or as much of a 'dead-cert' success that many are making him out to be. A 20 year old in his physical peak would be less suscptible to injury and more likely to fully recover and would still have plenty of playing time post-injury. I'm not talking a broken leg here, maybe just a season of niggling injuries.

It's just a small consideration to bare in mind.

Davies doesn't have an injury record though really does he?? Has he had a serious injury in the last 7 years?? Training has really moved on in the last ten years and so we can get more out of players. Scholes Giggs could still influence games in their mid thirties, Teddy and Tugays (well almost) in their 40's. Paolo Maldini??? Ac milan as a whole.

32 is not what it used to be, especially when you haven't had serious injuries. Davies is far lower risk than say Jacobsen, Dunn, Reid, Emerton.

Archived