BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

I know, I was just sticking to the direct move from France to England. The French league is more similar to the Premier League than most as it is quite physical and athletic.

But what kind of player is he?? thats the important bit!!

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'd easily go into our starting line up and, without taking penalties, I am positive he would score at least 10 goals next season.

What's his playing style, is he the sort of striker we might look at instead of Davies or is he another strong target man type.

Assuming we get Di Santo I'm not sure we even desperately need a target man even if BFS does want to play it, surely Di Santo if he has been signed to play can do the target man role at 6ft 4" and then Roberts can put a shift in as a target man.

We need someone to put the ball in the back of the net.

I can see though why it's so tricky at the moment, like this Gignac fella, he could be fantastic but at circa 10m it is a massive gamble if it goes wrong, could be a very long and patient search for a striker.

I've already described him. He's big, strong, well built but fit. He's got a good touch and a great right foot. He can hold the ball up and win headers. He favours his right possibly a bit too much, but as I said before two-footed players are hard to come by. He's decent at set pieces and would probably take free kicks for us, but he's no Beckham. He fits the Kevin Davies description, just minus about 40 pounds and quite a bit more skilled and younger and quite a bit faster (although he's by no means lightning quick).

And how many on them fill you with optimism?

Cos maybe your vision of optimism is seeing another Roque Santa Cruz walk through the door, and many of us realise that getting decent young potential is exciting in itself...

You also go from saying you're not liking the 'lack of movement' to saying that the moves we have made dont 'fill you with optimism' - surely they at least constitute 'movement' which contradicts your first point???

I feel Sam has done as well as he could have done bearing in mind that it is ONLY JULY 1ST. how many more months of transfers do we have? 2? Sam might just manage a couple more by then..

Cos maybe your vision of optimism is seeing another Roque Santa Cruz walk through the door, and many of us realise that getting decent young potential is exciting in itself...

You also go from saying you're not liking the 'lack of movement' to saying that the moves we have made dont 'fill you with optimism' - surely they at least constitute 'movement' which contradicts your first point???

I feel Sam has done as well as he could have done bearing in mind that it is ONLY JULY 1ST. how many more months of transfers do we have? 2? Sam might just manage a couple more by then..

Exacly. last year at this time we have not signed anyone, and all we got was L2 players.

I honestly can't believe all the activity going on at Rovers this season considering as you say it's only July the 1st, without counting we've had 6 or 7 players leave through either transfers, retirements or end of contracts and have brought in 4 players with Di Santo hopefully soon on his way.

Other than perhaps Real Madrid who have apparantley been busy this summer is their another club who has brought in 4 players so far this season with another lined up +10-15m or so still in the bank.

Also the players that we've lost, only Tugay and Ooijer really had a good influence on the team last year, they are both very much the wrong side of 30 and although they've given me some great memories, Tugay especially, and Ooijer who has been a very reliable player this year it was time for them to move on and it won't be any great loss. I don't think Tugay could have offered us more more this year and although Ooijer would have played I still had my concerns about him that he wasn't a genuine right back, Jacobsen or Emerton will hopefully give us better options. Santa Cruz and Derbs hardly played for us last year and certainly didn't once BFS took over and we actually started winning games. I guess the only question left is just how do we replace Aaron Mokoena?

We've brought in a couple of promising signings which could put us in a good position for the future, such as the young greek keeper, might not end up anywhere near making it but at least we are giving youth a chance and investing in it. Then were signing young players such as N'Zonzi and Elrio who can hopefully progress and get better. Then we've added experience in Givet who I think every Rover is happy with and Jacobsen who is a danish international with a lot of experience and was a free transfer. Again lots of promising signs, just need to sort out a striker + Di Santo and a center midfielder and were ready to roll now. If we could rely on our midfielders to stay fit then all we really need our a couple of strikers

I would be ecstatic with Gignac. If Bolton could get Elmander last summer then there's no reason why we couldn't get Gignac, unless Man Utd did come in for him of course, but I think they'll be setting the bar a little higher.

Agree LeChuck. Cant see why United would allow Tevez to leave and sign Gignac. As talented a player as Gignac is, and doing well,he is still fairly unknown to many. Benzema fits the bill more, as a direct replacement for Tevez.

I honestly can't believe all the activity going on at Rovers this season considering as you say it's only July the 1st, without counting we've had 6 or 7 players leave through either transfers, retirements or end of contracts and have brought in 4 players with Di Santo hopefully soon on his way.

Other than perhaps Real Madrid who have apparantley been busy this summer is their another club who has brought in 4 players so far this season with another lined up +10-15m or so still in the bank.

Also the players that we've lost, only Tugay and Ooijer really had a good influence on the team last year, they are both very much the wrong side of 30 and although they've given me some great memories, Tugay especially, and Ooijer who has been a very reliable player this year it was time for them to move on and it won't be any great loss. I don't think Tugay could have offered us more more this year and although Ooijer would have played I still had my concerns about him that he wasn't a genuine right back, Jacobsen or Emerton will hopefully give us better options. Santa Cruz and Derbs hardly played for us last year and certainly didn't once BFS took over and we actually started winning games. I guess the only question left is just how do we replace Aaron Mokoena?

We've brought in a couple of promising signings which could put us in a good position for the future, such as the young greek keeper, might not end up anywhere near making it but at least we are giving youth a chance and investing in it. Then were signing young players such as N'Zonzi and Elrio who can hopefully progress and get better. Then we've added experience in Givet who I think every Rover is happy with and Jacobsen who is a danish international with a lot of experience and was a free transfer. Again lots of promising signs, just need to sort out a striker + Di Santo and a center midfielder and were ready to roll now. If we could rely on our midfielders to stay fit then all we really need our a couple of strikers

Yes I agree, good post and a good appraisel of what has happened to date, as the window opens in Europe, so will the opportunities as players are signed and others move on, I think we have worked well here, Sam hasnt been back off his jollies a week yet!!! The bit about scouting, the scouts did their work last season for Ince and the requirements under Allardyce have changed somewhat due to the style of game he plays, lets trust in the big fella, he is no mug and knows what he wants!

I am hoping and guessing Sam is trying to balance his signings.. hell we have a limited budget.. spend 13m on a striker and leave the midfield potentially weak (given the injury record of our only real playmaker).. or splash 7-8m on a striker and get a decent 5-6m midfielder as well.

We also have to wait a little on the Di Santo situation as without him we may have to find the funds for another striker.. then take into consideration chain signings (clubs signing new players making the old ones available)... and given our past record are we really sure we have 13m to play with.

Its a complex game this old transfer market.. so lets wait and see.. hell for all we know Sam might be waiting for the Eto signing to go through so he can nick a ManC player.

dave

You may know me as dan_mark_furness

I am not naive, I just know who and when they have been watching players and spending all that time and money with no other apparent targets in mind wreaks of desperation. Why dont they just come out and say 'you know what, we aint a fookin clue who we want so why dont we wait for a player to ring US'

Im totally amazed at your post. How much money do you think we have? We aint Man City or Chelsea that can say 'oh thats Kaka, lets pay 100mill for him' we have to look at the cheap options unfortunately. If you think a guy like Allardyce doesnt know who he wants, then you must be bonkers. Our priorities have been a right back, so he signed Jacobsen. We needed some pace, Van Heerded was signed. Givet was very solid, and good cover at left back and as a centre half. Good business by Sam. Nzonzi is a young lad, not much was paid for him so no real risk if he fails. Di Santo if he signs, another young lad who is on the books of Chelsea. If you Di Santo aint a decent option as one of the strikers, then maybe you should also ask Chelsea if they dont know who they want or know what they are doing.

Nicko: Any news on incoming strikers? I've heard from a mate that Sam would love to sign a new striker in time for the training camp in Austria?

I have to admit I am really happy we signed Jacobsen who is as good as Glen Johnson and we got him for free! He was awesome against Swedens strikeforce Ibrahimovic and Larsson last month!

I am hoping and guessing Sam is trying to balance his signings.. hell we have a limited budget.. spend 13m on a striker and leave the midfield potentially weak (given the injury record of our only real playmaker).. or splash 7-8m on a striker and get a decent 5-6m midfielder as well.

I don't think we can really sign another central midfielder unless we lose one. Too many on the books - Reid, Grella, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Andrews, Warnock (probably where he will play now we have Givet), Emerton (central as well with Jackobsen, Diouf and Van Heerden hoovering up the wide positions).

I'm a big fan of Andrews but he is probaby the one who has to go as Emerton and Warnock are better players, and Reid Grella and Dunn are probably unsaleable due to their injury records. I wonder if we could get a million for him from a Championship side?

Nicko: Any news on incoming strikers? I've heard from a mate that Sam would love to sign a new striker in time for the training camp in Austria?

There should be something soon. Earlier than you think.

Patience, people.

I don't think we can really sign another central midfielder unless we lose one. Too many on the books - Reid, Grella, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Andrews, Warnock (probably where he will play now we have Givet), Emerton (central as well with Jackobsen, Diouf and Van Heerden hoovering up the wide positions).

I'm a big fan of Andrews but he is probaby the one who has to go as Emerton and Warnock are better players, and Reid Grella and Dunn are probably unsaleable due to their injury records. I wonder if we could get a million for him from a Championship side?

Don't forget the other Keith.

Wiltord

Saha

Cantona

Drogba (from the French league at least)

I'm sure there are others who just don't spring to mind right now.

what about a certain henry ???? who I remember terrorising united for Monaco

Archived