BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Anyone who has been following Blackburn will know a stable central midfielder is our biggest need. Most of our problems last sesaon stemmed from no having a top quality midfielder. Since Tugay aged and Savage broke his leg, we have suffered in midfield....

Last season the ball largely by-passed the midfield.

I think 95 showed that having a good strike force - and only reasonable midfield can take you a long way.

If Sam follows his tried and trusted 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formation - I could see a midfield of :

MGP Warnock Grella Emerton Diouf

A hard working midfield, with more pace than we have had for a while - somewhat lacking in flair. Personally I would play Dunn for Grella (if fit).

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Negredo is off the radar whilst Real Madrid are using him as a pawn in their Alonso game with Liverpool. But he would be an extremely interesting player to go for if all that falls through.

I think nicko has suggested that all the targets for striker are over 6 ft. I doubt we will see a nippy little'un turn up.

Over 6ft preferred, but not an absolute necessity now...think that has had to change because of the limited avaialbility of good and cheap big uns...the net has been spread very wide in the past few days.

Last season the ball largely by-passed the midfield.

I think 95 showed that having a good strike force - and only reasonable midfield can take you a long way.

If Sam follows his tried and trusted 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formation - I could see a midfield of :

MGP Warnock Grella Emerton Diouf

A hard working midfield, with more pace than we have had for a while - somewhat lacking in flair. Personally I would play Dunn for Grella (if fit).

More pace? where? It looks pretty much like the midfield we've had for ages except for Grella who has no pace. And who's playing right back whilst Emerton, our best right back is off marauding in centre mid?

More pace? where? It looks pretty much like the midfield we've had for ages except for Grella who has no pace. And who's playing right back whilst Emerton, our best right back is off marauding in centre mid?

Jacobsen?

Jacobsen?

Perhaps but he's unproven so far in the premier league as he played so little for Everton last season. And also playing Emerton anywhere is a hope rather than a definite at this stage as the original idea was that he would be fit for September. It's looking like he might be back before but it was a serious enough injury for us to be careful.

also agree that grell will show a little bit more this season, would like ot see him get a good pre-season and see what he is capable off - certainly wants to work hard, challenge hard, and can spray a ball around ! - and to be fair, i like the guys honesty in the press about his last season !

I agree with this as well. With him coming out and saying his performances last season were ######, hopefully he'll be out to prove to himself and to Rovers that he is capable of having a quality season and to why he played for so long in Serie A - a league where you don't play for that long if you're crap (Grabbi doesn't really count as he bounced around several clubs and Serie B?). With a full preseason, and if he stays away from the treatment tables, he might just do that, and could be worth as if he was a new signing

I agree with this as well. With him coming out and saying his performances last season were ######, hopefully he'll be out to prove to himself and to Rovers that he is capable of having a quality season and to why he played for so long in Serie A - a league where you don't play for that long if you're crap (Grabbi doesn't really count as he bounced around several clubs and Serie B?). With a full preseason, and if he stays away from the treatment tables, he might just do that, and could be worth as if he was a new signing

Try telling some of the fans I know that you're relying on Grella to sort out our midfield problems. Round me the guy comes in for more stick than Pedersen and andrews put together!!

Try telling some of the fans I know that you're relying on Grella to sort out our midfield problems. Round me the guy comes in for more stick than Pedersen and andrews put together!!

I think Grella will peform next season. I think he is fairly good at both short and long passes. He had a beatiful ball to Santa Cruz away at west ham.

He is also another one looking to perform, because of his place in the national team in WC South Africa.

Nicko:

Do you know if Spurs are also interested in Negredo?

I wouldn't say I'm totally relying on Grella though. I'm just sure that he is up for the task, just one cog in the midfield machine as it were, and we'll (hopefully) see him perform that much better than last season, as he joined us without being fully fit and a proper preseason IIRC. Plus, he that shall not be named, probably had installed neolithic training methods in the short time he was at Rovers, that meant that it was easy for players to pick up injuries quicker, which wouldn't have helped matters.

Perhaps but he's unproven so far in the premier league as he played so little for Everton last season. And also playing Emerton anywhere is a hope rather than a definite at this stage as the original idea was that he would be fit for September. It's looking like he might be back before but it was a serious enough injury for us to be careful.

Maybe so, but according to most reports he's a very good player. We aren't really in the market for players proven at Premier League level, Santa Cruz wasn't, Bentley wasn't, Benni wasn't, Samba wasn't etc

Spanish press today have us linked with llorente, another we've enquired about? Also states that barca are looking to loan out new signing keirrison (spelling) if he's good enough for them surely worth a do? Another paper has luis fabiano after a new challenge despite only just signing a new deal, would be worth a pop.

Maybe so, but according to most reports he's a very good player. We aren't really in the market for players proven at Premier League level, Santa Cruz wasn't, Bentley wasn't, Benni wasn't, Samba wasn't etc

The problem always is with playes coming back from long term injury - have they still got whatever it was that made them good. I worry about Emerton's pace and Jacobson missed most of last season. I know we can't get those who are really proven in the premiership, and have to take chances but we've all seen what taking chances at right back meant last year. Not that I'm suggesting the guy from Everton is what Simpson was!!!!1

The problem always is with playes coming back from long term injury - have they still got whatever it was that made them good. I worry about Emerton's pace and Jacobson missed most of last season. I know we can't get those who are really proven in the premiership, and have to take chances but we've all seen what taking chances at right back meant last year. Not that I'm suggesting the guy from Everton is what Simpson was!!!!1

I agree with you that last season Emerton was the best right back at the club. However, until Givet came in, Warnock was the best left back at the club.

I agree with you that last season Emerton was the best right back at the club. However, until Givet came in, Warnock was the best left back at the club.

Still think in some ways he is - different players for different types of game. Warnock is better when you can allow the full back to overlap and Givet better if yo need just solid defence?

Nicko:

Do you know if Spurs are also interested in Negredo?

There are a couple of agents trying to sell Real squad men to England...they are close to Spurs as well as Rovers...which is why so many Real players are being mentioned everywhere just now.

Things should start moving at Spurs soon - it seems the Bent price has come down.

Buggar ! I knew there was something I needed to watch last night ! Any stand out performances Nicko ? Let's hope it's on again soon.

The great thing about BBC4 - apart from their obscure shows - is that they show them again and again. Very interesting line-up and good material.

No Tim Renwick for some reason. I will write and complain.

Would Niko Kranjcar be out of our league, or is one Niko enough round these parts already, given that mere mention of the name appears to attract the tedious attention of the adolescent stalker that is 'Ewood-and-I-Wood'?

I would love to have him at Ewood, very exciting player imo.

Working on the basis that Sam is ready to spend his entire transfer budget on a forward, I think it is reasonable to assume that he will be working on each name from top valuation down and running through each name on the list.

If Janko is available at c. £6m, I can see us ending up with him. Would love Negredo or Cardozo, but think we'll end up with Janko.

As an aside, supposing we were to spend under £13m on our striker, I wonder where the remainder of the budget would go? Surely Sam wouldn't add yet another CM to our already bloated numbers and no doubt it would be swallowed back into the club.

Archived