BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

I know as fans of a smaller team we have to accept that we will lose some players we'd rather keep every year but the blithe way in which some people just say "if the bid's good enough, we should sell" amazes me.

But that's the reality of being a small club. Big clubs pay big money for young players because they have the ability to hold onto them for their whole careers. We don't. Samba isn't going to stay here forever, regardless of whether he's looking to leave now or not. If he does want to leave he might not cause a big fuss, but he probably also won't sign a new contract, meaning we might not get anything for him in the end.

No it's not easy to find new players, but we have to try. The financial reality is that we have to sell some of our best players and use that money to reinvest in the squad. Those clinging onto the notion that "we shouldn't be a selling club" are deluded. We have to be. Without sales we at best break even, and that only if we slash wages. We need sales to improve.

Samba is a bit different to Roque as well. We do have good centre halves already at the club. We will lose some quality in selling Samba, but nowhere near £10m+ worth with Givet a ready-made replacement. So we don't need to find "another Samba" for a fraction of what we got for him, we need another body who can be a solid backup. And that we can certainly get if we have a few million to spend. It would allow us to sign a better striker and perhaps a midfielder too. Overall strengthening our squad.

Like I already said though it's only a good idea if the bid is silly, and I don't think anyone will bid even £10m, so it's largely a hypothetical situation. But £15m?!?!? Really is a no-brainer.

btw I don't see how it amazes you. The very definition of "good enough" means that it's a bid we should accept.

Is he really that good that we can quite happily take him on loan, give him a season in the Prem, and then hand him back to Chelsea much more of a finished article ? We will be in the same position as we are now, ie: light on strikers but potentially with less money. Does it not make sense to buy a striker or aquire one on a free, rather than getting one in for a 12 month loan period, no matter how good he supposedly is ?

Think of it this way; He's the Derbyshire replacement, i.e a striker in the £2-3m bracket. By signing him on loan now, it gives us £2-3m more this season to spend on the other striker or on a midfielder. Giving us a higher average quality of our new signings. We do benefit, even if we'll still need a striker next year because we'll have a better squad to add to. EDIT: Not to mention the really obvious part; He's in all likelyhood going to be better than that free striker, whether it's Vieri or someone else.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Newcastle have apparently not renewed Peter Lovenkrands' contract. Per the reports, he would like to stay in the north of England, preferrably Sunderland. Is there any chance that Sam might go after him?

not unless he sees something that nobody else does.

Newcastle have apparently not renewed Peter Lovenkrands' contract. Per the reports, he would like to stay in the north of England, preferrably Sunderland. Is there any chance that Sam might go after him?

No!

Sam would probably catch him...

Funny guy you are Mr Nixon. Any chance Coyley might decide to smash the clubs transfer record, with a bid for Keith Andrews? Dont ask me where i heard this, but just a rumour. You close to him, so is there anything in the Andrews to Burnley rumour?

Better chance of Julie going.

Sam would probably catch him...

Better chance of Julie going.

Nicko, im getting tired of the Vieri link. Is there any truth in it? Sorry if its been discussed already, but ive been off the board alot lately due to feeding of a baby, diaper change. Im sure you know the feeling of late nights lol

But that's the reality of being a small club. Big clubs pay big money for young players because they have the ability to hold onto them for their whole careers. We don't. Samba isn't going to stay here forever, regardless of whether he's looking to leave now or not. If he does want to leave he might not cause a big fuss, but he probably also won't sign a new contract, meaning we might not get anything for him in the end.

No it's not easy to find new players, but we have to try. The financial reality is that we have to sell some of our best players and use that money to reinvest in the squad. Those clinging onto the notion that "we shouldn't be a selling club" are deluded. We have to be. Without sales we at best break even, and that only if we slash wages. We need sales to improve.

btw I don't see how it amazes you. The very definition of "good enough" means that it's a bid we should accept.

Yes, we have to sell some players - I've already said that but the way some people go on you'd think it was ok to sell our entire first team squad every season. You need to keep some of the good ones so that you can keep an element of continuity in your team. I don't think that we have to be a selling club in that we will sell anyone if there's a bid for them that is slightly higher than we might have expected. And the other point is that a bid is only good enough if a replacement can be found who means that your team is not weaker than if you don't sell. Some people look only at the monetary value of a bid. If you sell to a team close to you in the league and do not get an adequate replacement then you are doing far more than weakening your own team - you are giving them the chance to strengthen at your expense. I'm not suggesting we never sell good players but I feel too many fans only see one side of it and do not look at the bigger picture.

Teams that change personnel too often, especially at the back, do not do well in general because all the players have to get used to playing together again and in a defensive unit that is a problem. I accept that Samab isn't going to stay for ever, but with Santa Cruz gone and not yet replaced, it doesn't seem good to me that some fans think it would be acceptable to get rid of Samba if a decent size bid turned up. Selling one good player is sensible and reasonable, especially if he has been as uninvolved and disrespectful as RSC has. Selling 2 when you haven't even replaced the first would be wrong in my opinion. So far there have not, as far as we know, been any bids, good enough or not good enough, but I hope if there are we look hard at what we would need to buy to replace him before we think about selling.

Nicko, im getting tired of the Vieri link. Is there any truth in it? Sorry if its been discussed already, but ive been off the board alot lately due to feeding of a baby, diaper change. Im sure you know the feeling of late nights lol

I am still waiting on word about whether he showed up at the weekend or not. The Austria trip sounds like a lot of fitness work rather than football training.

Samba is a bit different to Roque as well. We do have good centre halves already at the club. We will lose some quality in selling Samba, but nowhere near £10m+ worth with Givet a ready-made replacement. So we don't need to find "another Samba" for a fraction of what we got for him, we need another body who can be a solid backup. And that we can certainly get if we have a few million to spend. It would allow us to sign a better striker and perhaps a midfielder too. Overall strengthening our squad.

Like I already said though it's only a good idea if the bid is silly, and I don't think anyone will bid even £10m, so it's largely a hypothetical situation. But £15m?!?!? Really is a no-brainer.

Think of it this way; He's the Derbyshire replacement, i.e a striker in the £2-3m bracket. By signing him on loan now, it gives us £2-3m more this season to spend on the other striker or on a midfielder. Giving us a higher average quality of our new signings. We do benefit, even if we'll still need a striker next year because we'll have a better squad to add to. EDIT: Not to mention the really obvious part; He's in all likelyhood going to be better than that free striker, whether it's Vieri or someone else.

I wonder, do you ever see us progressing this way? As in getting back into Europe, challenging for the CL...could it ever happen if every season we have to sell? And if it is impossible, than what's our purpose for playing every season, exactly?

I am still waiting on word about whether he showed up at the weekend or not. The Austria trip sounds like a lot of fitness work rather than football training.

Cant see him getting a contract, as he looks as if he has been in Mcdonals more than Benni. Stranger things have happened though. I wonder if Grooby can say if Vieri is with the squad or not.

I wonder, do you ever see us progressing this way? As in getting back into Europe, challenging for the CL...could it ever happen if every season we have to sell? And if it is impossible, than what's our purpose for playing every season, exactly?

Things will change, they always do, let me ask you a question, do you really think, Abramavic and the Arab at Man city are going to plough money in there indefinately?

They cant all be winning and something will give, throwing silly money is fine till it goes belly up, ask Leeds, Newcastle etc

I see salary caps and lots of teams going into very hard times, something is wrong at Pompy, West ahm have no money, Everton are not rich, even Liverpool are now unable to compete on a level playing field!! and In Sotland Rangers and Celtic are facing tough times

personally, a European League, taking Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (maybe City if they come off) would be great, I for one would not be interested in a European League, would rather watch Rovers Burnley, Everton etc!!

Yes, we have to sell some players - I've already said that but the way some people go on you'd think it was ok to sell our entire first team squad every season. You need to keep some of the good ones so that you can keep an element of continuity in your team. I don't think that we have to be a selling club in that we will sell anyone if there's a bid for them that is slightly higher than we might have expected.

Noone will disagree with that. It seems like you're trying to misrepresent my position into one that's clearly absurd. It's as if I was saying "Some people think we should never ever sell any player, reardless of the bid or how many players we have at the position". Which you're clearly not saying.

My post was mainly in reply to those saying things like how we should turn down £15m for Samba. He's good, he's very good, but he's not worth £15m. It's just too good to turn down for a player who plays in a position where we have good players already. Losing Roque meant we're very short on strikers, especially anything resembling a target man. Losing Samba means Givet starts instead. A loss, but £15m worth of a loss? No way. I'm a big believer in continuity as well, but Warnock - Givet - Nelsen - Emerton? Hardly going to be mass problems in communication there is there?

It's all hypothetical though as all we have are a couple of quotes that can be interpreted either way. And if he doesn't want to leave, we shouldn't sell him. Which goes without saying.

Will there be an 11 o'clocker tonight Nicko?

No, lots of daft wee things happening but nothing worth staying up for.

Might be a very big story hitting football world later in the week. But I can't say just yet.

;)

Noone will disagree with that. It seems like you're trying to misrepresent my position into one that's clearly absurd. It's as if I was saying "Some people think we should never ever sell any player, reardless of the bid or how many players we have at the position". Which you're clearly not saying.

My post was mainly in reply to those saying things like how we should turn down £15m for Samba. He's good, he's very good, but he's not worth £15m. It's just too good to turn down for a player who plays in a position where we have good players already. Losing Roque meant we're very short on strikers, especially anything resembling a target man. Losing Samba means Givet starts instead. A loss, but £15m worth of a loss? No way. I'm a big believer in continuity as well, but Warnock - Givet - Nelsen - Emerton? Hardly going to be mass problems in communication there is there?

It's all hypothetical though as all we have are a couple of quotes that can be interpreted either way. And if he doesn't want to leave, we shouldn't sell him. Which goes without saying.

Of course it would be hard to turn down a 15mill bid for Samba, having cost us virtually nothing when we signed him. The point is, can we afford to now hunt for a new defender, while still looking for a quality striker as well? We got to try and have some stability in the team, and defence looks the best bet for that. However if we sell Samba, it just disrupts like i said the continuity and gives Sam more headaches about having to find a settled combination.

Yes. It's the only way we can progress. By making signings like Bentley, Samba and Santa Cruz and then selling some of them on for a profit, and reinvesting the profits wisely. It's extremely unlikely to get us to the CL, but there's no alternative.

It's not a matter of "if" we have to sell, we do. Just look around you; nearly every club in the Premiership make more money than we do. Through ticket sales, merchandise, sponsors, outside investment. We have one of the smallest budgets in the league. If we don't sell any players we have no money to improve the squad with. And that won't take us to the CL either, that's for sure. Selling top players and finding better players for the money recieved isn't easy. It can backfire, it's risky. But it can also pay off. It's either that, or significant outside investment. Which it seems we're not getting.

Buy low, sell high - funny how some Tories hereabouts seem to have forgotten this invaluable financial maxim.

What the hell has politics got to do with this thread??

Dont get into this or the BNP will be calling us 'Blackman Rovers'

Samba,Di santo, Roberts, McCarthy, Van Heerden, Reid, Hoilett, N'Zongi, Rigtors !!! :lol:

Keep both politics and racism out of football!!

Will there be an 11 o'clocker tonight Nicko?

No, lots of daft wee things happening but nothing worth staying up for.

Might be a very big story hitting football world later in the week. But I can't say just yet.

;)

That's a bit sweeping Nicko, I reckon there'll be a big story hitting the fooball world this week and I don't even know what it is !

Archived