[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

failures-

dwight yorke

keith gillespie

john curtis

danny simpson

andy cole(eventually)

i`m sure there has to be more.

I quite enjoyed Keith Gillespie being our player. John Curtis was gud. Andy Cole helped us win the League Cup. Sum1 has pointed out Kevin Moran. And Sparky Hughes was a gud'un too!

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You cant really tell from the clubs they came from but Sparky and Kevin Moran had that bit of steel in them!!

how much money did we get for them when they moved on..?

ok, it didn`t matter then, but it really does now. the striker we bring in has to have a resale value in a couple of years or the club finacially will die. sam doesn`t care about this as he`ll likely be looking to leave for a bigger job in a couple of seasons, so i`m certain mainly cares about doing well for himself during his time at the club and not what happens after he goes. we have to set the condition to him that the striker is young enough to sell at a profit to keep the clubs money cycle going.

ok, it didn`t matter then, but it really does now.

Big sam dont sign RVN he use to play for Man Utd FFS........So what if hes scored an unbeliveable amount of goals

everywhere hes been.

ok, it didn`t matter then, but it really does now. the striker we bring in has to have a resale value in a couple of years or the club finacially will die. sam doesn`t care about this as he`ll likely be looking to leave for a bigger job in a couple of seasons, so likely mainly cares about doing well for himself during his time at the club and not what happens after he goes, so we have to set the condition to him that the striker is young enough to sell at a profit.

But both of them contributed to promotion!

How much was that worth??

and four places up the league = £3,000,000

Splitscreen - good call on Janko - heres hoping. Signing him for £6m would vastly improve our team and options, and allow us to concentrate on a midfielder.

Janko gets my vote too, 11 o'clocker tonight Nicko?

Failure to make a quality signing and settle for second best is the most expensive mistake the club can make.

I can see your point JAL, player A costing maybe 3-4m more than player B, but you do have to cut your cloth so to say.

If player A takes all our budget and then some,when and if Sam decides to off load a couple of the squad players then that money is going back into the bank never to be seen again.

Where's that leave us with the MF, we need a creative MF badly, for me Dunny is not the answer and we don't seem to have anyone else.

ok, it didn`t matter then, but it really does now. the striker we bring in has to have a resale value in a couple of years or the club finacially will die.

So how are we going to stop this guy, who's going to be a big hit in the Prem and within our financial restraints - while scoring a bag full of goals, seeing out his contract?

Just worry that he is playing in a micky mouse league!!

as i`ve said before, oliver bierhoff preceded him as the clubs record scorer in a season before moving onto better things in italy and with the german national team, i wouldn`t read too much into the league he`s playing in. go off what you see, goals are the same shape and size whereever you play, and he seems to be very good at putting the ball into them. he scored a very good roque-style header against rovers in europe when he was just a young reserve striker, and he`s come on a bit since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf-SARuylpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjhOmPjovc

Splitscreen - good call on Janko - heres hoping. Signing him for £6m would vastly improve our team and options, and allow us to concentrate on a midfielder.

I would have preferred Cardoza, it seems he's out of reach. The opportunity is there for a peek so why not, maybe Nicko can do some digging around.

Just worry that he is playing in a micky mouse league!!

I trust the Rovers scouting network. I'm not sure if many people apart from the obvious on here, know what goes into scouting a player & helping the club make the right descisions, but from what I've heard, to get paid upwards of £70k - £80k a year + expenses, the boys at Ewood must be pretty good. They must have a good opinion of Marc Janko if they've watched him so many times & still continue to be linked with him. If they think he can make the step up, then my vote is with them, I've not seen him play, but at the end of the day its not our descision & we have to trust the professionals.

Fair enough, its backfired with some clubs & players (the main one that springs to mind here in recent times, is Afonso Alves for Boro, £16m wasnt he???) but I heard that Southgate was getting so pi***d off with being rejected by other clubs & targets that he had him looked at a few times, checked his scoring record & then Hereveen bent him over & pulled his pants down. This wont happen with Rovers (at least if it does it wont be so severe, because we dont have that much money!!!)

I would love to see Cardozo, or Gignac, but if they're too much money, then I'm happy to trust our scouts that seem to be saying that Janko would be a very viable alternative!!!

(By the way being a football scout would be my dream job, goin all over the world gettin paid to watch footy... ACE!!!)

it just makes me want to vomit how many of our fans call for us to sign either current or former utd players. why don`t you just support man u if you love their players so much? <_<

Slightly over the top Saxo1man30. I think RVN would be a fantastic signing, if we could get him for £1.5million & a sensible wage. What a great player to have around for the younger strikers to learn off of.

It would be better if we could get Giggs whipping the ball onto his head though & what about the passes Scholes could provide for him!! :lol::lol:

Anyone know why Janko only has 7 caps for Austria? Would think if he's that highly rated that he'd play more regularly for them - 7 caps since 2006 is pretty bleak (according to wiki).

Not that easy to get caps for Belgium they never qualify for tournaments, unless they host them, ;) maybe he was one of the late developers.

Slightly over the top Saxo1man30. I think RVN would be a fantastic signing, if we could get him for £1.5million & a sensible wage. What a great player to have around for the younger strikers to learn off of.

It would be better if we could get Giggs whipping the ball onto his head though & what about the passes Scholes could provide for him!! :lol::lol:

it`s not over the top when you hear fans creaming their pants ON HERE last season at danny simpson`s loan aquisition, what was he? not even a first choice utd reserve? inevitably he proved a waste of wages for the club to be paying out. yet again this season i`m hearing `sign welbeck on loan!` or some young midfielder who`s been released by fergie. it just lacks imagination imo assuming because they are/were at man u they are top notch.

van nistelrooy WAS a top striker, but he`s played in a total footballing sides all his career, could he at 33 yrs of age adjust to playing a workmanlike style, particulary following major injury troubles? also what would his attitude be like? i hope he knocks us back.

it`s not over the top when you hear fans creaming their pants ON HERE last season at danny simpson`s loan aquisition, what was he? not even a first choice utd reserve? inevitably he proved a waste of wages for the club to be paying out. yet again this season i`m hearing `sign welbeck on loan!` or some young midfielder who`s been released by fergie. it just lacks imagination imo assuming because they are/were at man u they are top notch.

Fair enough, I agree about with your points about Simpson & Welbeck. RVN is a different scenario altogether, regardless of who he played for, its Blackburn I support & if there is a player of PROVEN quality, then we should do our best to sign them, whoever they have played for (Burnley excluded). RVN is cheap in the current market.

Archived