BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Guest benmaxwell

I just realised something immense.

For the amount of money Sam is apparently looking at spending on Kevin Davies, we could probably buy Michael Bradley! Imagine what a player like him would do to our clubs midfield attacking potential! :(

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realised something immense.

For the amount of money Sam is apparently looking at spending on Kevin Davies, we could probably buy Michael Bradley! Imagine what a player like him would do to our clubs midfield attacking potential! :(

I'd rather have davies. 12 goals in one season from one player should win enough games to keep us up.

Bradleys good but he's not that good, I honestly think theres better out there in central midfield. Gladbach hardly set the bundesliga on fire after promotion. I'd take Biglia over bradley, there about the same price. I've only seen him play 4-5 times so far, he's done OK but I do wonder how he'd do against premeirship oppostion week in, week out. But as it looks more likely that we will be 451/433 next year we will need someone in the middle who can play a serious pass.

We just have to wait and see what happens, but there will be more comings and goings this summer.

I must admit I'm wondering if Davies could be in for Benni??? with another coming in, hopefully with some pace.

EDIT: Cheers for blowing that outta the water, Nicko.

Guest benmaxwell
I'd rather have davies. 12 goals in one season from one player should win enough games to keep us up.

So you would rather have a 32 year old Rovers reject who's best years are behind him, scores on average 0.8 goals every 2 games as our replacement for our main goalscorer then a 21 year old quality creative midfielder we have all been screaming out for, for God knows how many years, who scores 8 goals a season and is a full USA international footballer who has suceeded in Germany and Holland who would be the perfect source of goals for a top quality striker like Darren Bent or Marc Janko, who we could afford? :unsure:

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

Beginning to think the blip at Newcastle transfer wise wasn't just a blip and Sam has lot his ability he had at Bolton when it comes to judging bargain or quality players. We've been linked to players like Chimbonda, Smith and now Davies.

Do you honestly still believe we have a decent transfer kitty? We sold Bentley and didn't replace him, we are selling an £18 million pound striker and possibly replacing him with a 32 year old, probably going to start to decline centre forward.

I think our budget is far smaller than people assume it should be. If this is the case we deserve everything we get and that will be relegation.

Beginning to think the blip at Newcastle transfer wise wasn't just a blip and Sam has lot his ability he had at Bolton when it comes to judging bargain or quality players. We've been linked to players like Chimbonda, Smith and now Davies.

'Linked to' being the operative words. We don't know for certain Big Sam wants to sign these players.

Diouf gave us much needed balance last season, and Givet was instrumental at the back. We've also signed a versatile midfielder in his mid-20s. So I don't think the alarm bells need to be ringing just yet. And ultimately it is on the pitch that Big Sam's signings will be judged, not in the hypothesis. I'm not chuffed about the Davies rumours either, but I think Sam has earned a degree of trust for dragging us out the @#/? last season.

Never mind all these attacking players linked we desparately need some quality centre midfielders.

Has everyone forgot the Andrews/Mokoena pairing last season?

Moko and Tugay have gone, as have Dunn and Reid effectively, Warnonck is a left back so that may leave us with no-one in that position available.

Come on Sam get a move on.

'Linked to' being the operative words. We don't know for certain Big Sam wants to sign these players.

Diouf gave us much needed balance last season, and Givet was instrumental at the back. We've also signed a versatile midfielder in his mid-20s. So I don't think the alarm bells need to be ringing just yet. And ultimately it is on the pitch that Big Sam's signings will be judged, not in the hypothesis. I'm not chuffed about the Davies rumours either, but I think Sam has earned a degree of trust for dragging us out the @#/? last season.

But that's the whole point of peoples negativity with signing Davies. Ultimately on the pitch he will be a good signing as he is a very effective player. He is also going to be pushing 34 at the end of the season and cost a fair bit.. Value is the argument not how he's perform on the pitch.

But that's the whole point of peoples negativity with signing Davies. Ultimately on the pitch he will be a good signing as he is a very effective player. He is also going to be pushing 34 at the end of the season and cost a fair bit.. Value is the argument not how he's perform on the pitch.

Oh, absolutely. That's my only snag about the deal - the money. But a lot of fans claim Davies is a useless lump with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, when that isn't true. He's an unfashionable player, but he'll work hard and make a nuisance of himself. However, for the money being speculated, it's too much for very short-sighted signing.

Then you need to buy a winger. Your just moving the problem, plus you lose the assists that Gamst provides.

Yep, we would.

But gamst has one hell of an engine has a good balance between defence and attack and has a left foot, our midfield would have more balance in the middle. Bert is very similiar both will get up to support and back to defend.

I also think we'd see gamst score a few more that rocket in his boot could be some weapon with knock-downs off say Davies.

Gamsts assists can be replaced was it 6 last year, its not that high for a winger TBH. We could add pace out wide left then, Sinclair maybe.

I've wonder for the last two years about gamst he so reminds me of barry when he was a left winger, now its no garuntee that it would work with Gamst but why not in pre-season and see what happens???

I think our budget is far smaller than people assume it should be. If this is the case we deserve everything we get and that will be relegation.

I suspect you are correct in terms of the transfer budget. We are not a wealthy club and the days of Jack Walker are long gone. We have now returned to what we usually have been - a small town club struggling to survive against the big city clubs. Income generated from transfers will have to be used for a variety of things - not just team rebuilding. I suspect that the bank will step in to claim their share of any income.

However, I don't believe that the situation automatically means relegation. Sam has been brought in to do a specific job - to keep us in the Premier League on a limited budget. That may mean that he will have to sign players who fans might not like and may well adopt a style of football that is not to everyone's taste. I have no doubt that he will target games where he thinks points can be gained and overlook other games.

The time to judge the success of his transfer policy will be at the end of next season. If we have retained Premier League status then I think his policy will be judged a success. Ultimately, we can't spend money we don't have. Others have tried that and its ended in tears with the very future of the club being put at risk.

Never mind all these attacking players linked we desparately need some quality centre midfielders.

Has everyone forgot the Andrews/Mokoena pairing last season?

Moko and Tugay have gone, as have Dunn and Reid effectively, Warnonck is a left back so that may leave us with no-one in that position available.

Come on Sam get a move on.

we still have grella and emerton... dunn is not dead and warnock still did a job there.. also we have just got van heerden... its not all bad..

but i do know what you mean we need a gerrard or lampard(just unknown or young)....

Gamsts assists can be replaced was it 6 last year, its not that high for a winger TBH.

Fair comment. I think it depends which MGP you get, him from 3 seasons back would be amazing.

You also have to account for very little in terms of assists coming from the right wing, so really we would need 2 good wingers in.

Emerton is a perfect CM in my book.

Guest benmaxwell

Sorry this has to be said.

How can we be selling Roque Santa Cruz and Matt Derbyshire, and actively not be looking for any strikers. I don't believe this to be honest.

Either Sam already has his shopping list of strikers, in which case, he would have no further reason to search. Or he has trully gone nuts and only has a one man shopping list.

Fair comment. I think it depends which MGP you get, him from 3 seasons back would be amazing.

You also have to account for very little in terms of assists coming from the right wing, so really we would need 2 good wingers in.

Emerton is a perfect CM in my book.

If gamst was still hitting those heights then there's no way I would consider moving him. But he's not and only comes to life at the tail end, last and this season.

You can do so much more attacking wise with a left footer in the middle. We need more goals from here I honestly think he's capable of getting at least 5 from there with the rocket, that I'm despersate to see again.

But your right probably two wingers, I would grab sinclair loan or fee it wouldn't matter, quick is not the word for that boy. Left winger come striker, Diouf on the right of the three, doing his normal I don't understand the off-side rule impersonation.

And then a serious target man. RB on top, I would probably take Civelli but not on 50K a week.

Then we could sign a young up-coming midfielder with the rest, I was impressed with Buonette in the olympics, I'd like to see him at Rovers he was touted at about 6M last year so maybe we could afford him, maybe. Big potential.

If we play a 3 I want Bert in there as well, box to box and will run with the ball something we lacked from central areas last year.

Every person, or most on here are looking at things from a spectators point of view, now, lets look at things from a coach/managers point of view!!

His brief is simply this, win football matches!! You could sign the whole England squad and not be successful, there are no gaurantees!

Consistency is the key, along with a game plan, Sam came to Rovers and at least made us more difficult to beat, he turned around an alarming run of defeats and kept us safe with two games to go!!

Against top sides, without a game plan you are stuffed, totally and very much like Sparky, Sam also sets little targets thoughout the season, my guess is, and I havent any inside knowledge of this, is that the points gained were pretty close to the points targeted by Sam, probably with the exception of the Sunderland

game which in all fairness we should have won!!

Sam came out with the theory and it was well reported in the pressthat Samba up front would frighten defences in the premiership and so it turned out to be true!!

Now we come to a game plan, we look at players and make suggestions, myself included, but we dont know exactly how he and his team are thinking, one player, however good he may be, may not fit into his plan or system!!

I like Crouch, many dont, he would no doubt have been a consideration but his fee and wages would have been crippling!!

Sometimes we need to look at the whole picture, if you look at Davies last year, it took two players to mark him during a game, that to me leaves you with a spare man and if the ball is played back to the box to box midfielder Sam has indicated he wants, then we can be played in on goal by Davies's sheer presence!!

Only Sam knows the tactics and system he will deploy and he will know players who can fit into the system, imply buying players who are good does not neccesarily mean they will gel or fit into the system.

a few years ago Manchester United won the championship by defending well and getting the ball early to the front men, the goals were shared around but I remember a vast amount came from keane and Scholes picking up the knock downs!!

It would be difficult for a club like Rovers to match the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Fabrigas etc in midfield andsometimes the way round it is to by pass midfield and nullify thier game somewhat.

Yes, I advocate good passing football, I encourage the club to put work into the Academy and its Youth system, to produce top players, but if you produce one or two you are excelling, even the top clubs arent doing that, maybe the odd one, but except Arsenal who are buying their youngsters, managers are having to go for instant success, thats the nature of the game nowadays, but we as a club must at least try, you never know, we may get a side like Man U had which brought through Scholes, Giggs< Beckham, Nevilles etc in one season and even Rovers in their Youth cup year with Pickering, Newton, Mike England etc

Archived