BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Every person, or most on here are looking at things from a spectators point of view, now, lets look at things from a coach/managers point of view!!

Kelbo, there is no doubt the above is a fair analysis. Sams style is not rocket science. And from a coaches point of view a player like Davies makes sense. I am perfectly happy with that. But not at £5m. Football managers are lucky if all they have to worry about is coaching. The top sides with plently of money can afford to let a coach, well... coach, and let the accountants take care of the rest. But for a club of our size, which relies upon re-sale value and developing cheap talent into valuable assets £5m on a 32 year old is foolhardy. For a cheaper price then brilliant. Not pretty but effective and cheap. But on a limited kitty such a large chunk should go elsewhere.

Edit - Apologies. This should be in t'other thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kelbo, there is no doubt the above is a fair analysis. Sams style is not rocket science. And from a coaches point of view a player like Davies makes sense. I am perfectly happy with that. But not at £5m. Football managers are lucky if all they have to worry about is coaching. The top sides with plently of money can afford to let a coach, well... coach, and let the accountants take care of the rest. But for a club of our size, which relies upon re-sale value and developing cheap talent into valuable assets £5m on a 32 year old is foolhardy. For a cheaper price then brilliant. Not pretty but effective and cheap. But on a limited kitty such a large chunk should go elsewhere.

I do agree, £5,000,000 would be a bit too much, around the £3,000,000 mark would be acceptable given that a certain Mr Coyle has offered £1,400,000 for an unproven player in the premiership and 30 years old too!!

Setanta Breaking News. We have apparently bid for Rothen and offered him a 3 year deal. So were spending £3 million on 31 year old Rothen, and £5m-£6m on 32 year old Davies. Well done Sam, way to bring the squad age down like you said you would: http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Footba...ort/gnid-57763/

Where does it mention £3m? Or do you mean in wages? I thought he was gonna be on a free?

Guest benmaxwell
Where does it mention £3m? Or do you mean in wages? I thought he was gonna be on a free?

PSG wont let him go on a free as he still has time remaining on his contract.

The fee wanted last week was £3 million. We might haggle to less. But the fact is, Sam said he was looking at bringing the squads age down. How he is doing this signing a 31 year old and a 32 year old?

Every person, or most on here are looking at things from a spectators point of view, now, lets look at things from a coach/managers point of view!!

His brief is simply this, win football matches!! You could sign the whole England squad and not be successful, there are no gaurantees!

Consistency is the key, along with a game plan, Sam came to Rovers and at least made us more difficult to beat, he turned around an alarming run of defeats and kept us safe with two games to go!!

Against top sides, without a game plan you are stuffed, totally and very much like Sparky, Sam also sets little targets thoughout the season, my guess is, and I havent any inside knowledge of this, is that the points gained were pretty close to the points targeted by Sam, probably with the exception of the Sunderland

game which in all fairness we should have won!!

Sam came out with the theory and it was well reported in the pressthat Samba up front would frighten defences in the premiership and so it turned out to be true!!

Now we come to a game plan, we look at players and make suggestions, myself included, but we dont know exactly how he and his team are thinking, one player, however good he may be, may not fit into his plan or system!!

I like Crouch, many dont, he would no doubt have been a consideration but his fee and wages would have been crippling!!

Sometimes we need to look at the whole picture, if you look at Davies last year, it took two players to mark him during a game, that to me leaves you with a spare man and if the ball is played back to the box to box midfielder Sam has indicated he wants, then we can be played in on goal by Davies's sheer presence!!

Only Sam knows the tactics and system he will deploy and he will know players who can fit into the system, imply buying players who are good does not neccesarily mean they will gel or fit into the system.

a few years ago Manchester United won the championship by defending well and getting the ball early to the front men, the goals were shared around but I remember a vast amount came from keane and Scholes picking up the knock downs!!

It would be difficult for a club like Rovers to match the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Fabrigas etc in midfield andsometimes the way round it is to by pass midfield and nullify thier game somewhat.

Yes, I advocate good passing football, I encourage the club to put work into the Academy and its Youth system, to produce top players, but if you produce one or two you are excelling, even the top clubs arent doing that, maybe the odd one, but except Arsenal who are buying their youngsters, managers are having to go for instant success, thats the nature of the game nowadays, but we as a club must at least try, you never know, we may get a side like Man U had which brought through Scholes, Giggs< Beckham, Nevilles etc in one season and even Rovers in their Youth cup year with Pickering, Newton, Mike England etc

We're looking at it from a spectators' point of view because that's what we are. And we pay our money and make our choices and any manager who can't see that buying Rothen who is past it and Davies who is no Rovers fans 10th choice let alone first will drive away those fringe fans who you desperately need to win over and looked like pulling in with the excellent season ticket offers is perhaps looking like a coach but not like a manager. We are realistic and understand about shopping for bargains, but at the price these 2 look like being, where is the bargain element. It's like paying full price for sausages that are on their sell by date when you could buy ones with a date a week or two off for the same price. There are no guarantees that even established players will come in and do the same job for you as they have elsewhere. Ask Spurs about Bentley! In the end, without fans you don't have a club, not because of the money they put in because we all know tv money is the more important elemsnt of clubs' finances nowadays, but because you need the right atmosphere in your ground for the players to perform to their best. Fans won't turn out to watch Rothen and Davies, unless they are committed and would go if you played my granny and her cat up front.

PSG wont let him go on a free as he still has time remaining on his contract.

The fee wanted last week was £3 million. We might haggle to less. But the fact is, Sam said he was looking at bringing the squads age down. How he is doing this signing a 31 year old and a 32 year old?

I see i see. Seems very steep to me. About half that and i'd be ok with it.

What worries me is Sam said he expected about 5 new faces to come in. Well Van Heerden is 1, if the Davies deal happens thats 2, Rothen could be 3. And Givet is 4. That only leaves one more and that could be Di Santo.

I'd be disappointed if that was the sum total of our transer dealings.

Fans won't turn out to watch Rothen and Davies, unless they are committed and would go if you played my granny and her cat up front.

Or if the two of them brought success to the club?

I see i see. Seems very steep to me. About half that and i'd be ok with it.

What worries me is Sam said he expected about 5 new faces to come in. Well Van Heerden is 1, if the Davies deal happens thats 2, Rothen could be 3. And Givet is 4. That only leaves one more and that could be Di Santo.

I'd be disappointed if that was the sum total of our transer dealings.

Aren't you used to it by now?

We're looking at it from a spectators' point of view because that's what we are. And we pay our money and make our choices and any manager who can't see that buying Rothen who is past it and Davies who is no Rovers fans 10th choice let alone first will drive away those fringe fans who you desperately need to win over and looked like pulling in with the excellent season ticket offers is perhaps looking like a coach but not like a manager. We are realistic and understand about shopping for bargains, but at the price these 2 look like being, where is the bargain element. It's like paying full price for sausages that are on their sell by date when you could buy ones with a date a week or two off for the same price. There are no guarantees that even established players will come in and do the same job for you as they have elsewhere. Ask Spurs about Bentley! In the end, without fans you don't have a club, not because of the money they put in because we all know tv money is the more important elemsnt of clubs' finances nowadays, but because you need the right atmosphere in your ground for the players to perform to their best. Fans won't turn out to watch Rothen and Davies, unless they are committed and would go if you played my granny and her cat up front.

dont want diouf, didnt want savage, didnt want bellamy. the list goes on we have to support sam he's the manager we support the TEAM, we might not agree with the selection at times but trust the man,we cant go Big in the transfer market he'll get who he thinks is right for blackburn rovers !!!

Topman, I agree

In the championship year, some of the football wasnt the best, remember 'boring Blackburn' Winning puts bums on seats,10 Ronaldos wont do that if you are losing every week!!

dont want diouf, didnt want savage, didnt want bellamy. the list goes on we have to support sam he's the manager we support the TEAM, we might not agree with the selection at times but trust the man,we cant go Big in the transfer market he'll get who he thinks is right for blackburn rovers !!!

Ah, but you see, I did want Savage even before we were looking at him because he gets others playing and there's always been something about him that appealed to me. I did want Bellamy because in spite of his obnoxious character he gave us pace that I hadn't seen before at Rovers. Why do we have to blindly support the manager? He too will go at the first big offer he gets and we can't afford to be left with players he wanted but the new manager might not and who have no sell on value. The words used at the end of the season were younger more vibrant. So where is that in the signing of Rothen and davies. The new SA guy is young but nobody knows anything about him. The Chelsea player might or might not come and will only play for a season and we've sold 2 under 30 yr olds and are adding 2 over 30s Where is the sense in any way in that?

And the likelihood of that? It's committed fans who get excited by winning. Those we are hoping to attract have to be drawn in by the possibility of half way decent football as well.

--------Grella-------

-Emerton---Gamst-

there's a quick solution to central midfield. I'm convinced Gamst would do better in the middle.

Grella comes into the same category as Dunn and Reid.

Emerton perhaps, but Pedersen is hopeless on the wing, why would he be better in the mddle. He can't tackle or pass.

Guest benmaxwell

Possible Rovers Squad 08/09 season

-----------------Robinson----------------

--------------(30 this year)

Chimbonda(30)-Samba(25)-Nelsen-Warnock(27)

----------------------------(32 this year)

----Emerton(30)-Grella--Dunn-Rothen(31)----

------------(both 30 this year)

---------Davies(32)

Benni(32 this year)

Bench:

Bunn(24)

Givet(27)

Reid(28)

Pedersen(27)

Diouf(29 this year)

Andrews(29 this year)

Roberts(31)

Di Santo(only loan - 20)

That's a horribly old squad. In 2 season's time, we are going to have a squad heavily into it's 30's with no funding to add younger players to it, as we will have spent the money from the youth on older players with no resale value.

Possible Rovers Squad 08/09 season

-----------------Robinson----------------

--------------(30 this year)

Chimbonda(30)-Samba(25)-Nelsen-Warnock(27)

----------------------------(32 this year)

----Emerton(30)-Grella--Dunn-Rothen(31)----

------------(both 30 this year)

---------Davies(32)

Benni(32 this year)

Bench:

Bunn(24)

Givet(27)

Reid(28)

Pedersen(27)

Diouf(29 this year)

Andrews(29 this year)

Roberts(31)

Di Santo(only loan - 20)

That's a horribly old squad. In 2 season's time, we are going to have a squad heavily into it's 30's with no funding to add younger players to it, as we will have spent the money from the youth on older players with no resale value.

Its time John Williams and co. started to earn their overpaid wages.

It seems Besiktas are going to offer €3million for Gudjohnsen.

Any truth in this, Nicko?

And is Sam interested in him?

The Turks do pay very big wages, so it is possible.

There isn't a rush for Eidur because of his salary, but I still think he is a very good player.

Archived