BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Grella comes into the same category as Dunn and Reid.

Emerton perhaps, but Pedersen is hopeless on the wing, why would he be better in the mddle. He can't tackle or pass.

Give Grella a chance.

Emerton has always impressed me most in the middle.

I'm pretty sure Gamst can pass and tackle, I take it your suggestion involves selling or replacing Gamst then??? I've suggestted it because it would be easier to find a left winger than a left footed central midfielder. Personally I think he'd do well in there in a 3, both him and emerton would run all day in that role up and down and neither are completely devoid of talent.

There's really only one way to find out I hope sam tries it.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I had to chose between GudJohnsen, 30 years old, for €3million and bigger wages or Davies, 32 years old, for £5 million, I would obviously chose Gudjohnsen.

Gudjohnson is a quality player, his technique is excellent but, would he be effective??

It depends on the style and system deployed by the manager!!

I like Gudjohnsen, but he has been a bit-part player for a couple of years and may have lost his appetite.

On the other hand, Davies plays like he means it every week.

Agreed, if he's in at a reasonable price KD is probably as good as it gets for next season,

Rothen story has reappeared. As other have pointed out, ideally we should aim to bring in younger players this summer.

Sam said himself post-season, that he wanted a more vibrant team. If our reported transfer targets are anything to by, hardly pulsating.

And then the English Beckham! I really hope the £5m bid for Davies is a bad joke. We could throw money at old players who have done the rounds for years, but we should take a risk every now and then and bring in an Egyptian, or sopmeone from the lower leagues.

Forget the past, Davies has been a different player over the last 2 years or so, and if he could carry that on in a Rovers shirt then fair enough - i'd welcome that.

I don't think to be honest that he would want to come back here, just as many Rovers fans don't want him back!

As has been said by others, as a club, Rovers really cannot afford to sign over 30yo players. Presuming the likely absence of a takeover, the suitable and the only economically viable business option, given the age of the current squad, would be to bring in young "players of promise" in the hope that 50% may improve (we are strong in the development area) and be sold at profit. I simply cannot support the signing of anyone over 30 from an economic perspective.

Williams is one of the lowest paid executives in the Premier League.

?does'nt mean he's not overpaid.....................seriously hope on one hand he keeps the manager happy and says he'll get nolan and davies then goes on the phone bids 50p gets rejected and then tells sam alladyce he tryed but the clubs did'nt want to sell and he should move on to other players,.........thats what i expect a good chairman to do, identify his managers weakspots(i.e his friendship with these 2 clowns) and successfully man manage the manager in the clubs best interests.

I like Gudjohnsen, but he has been a bit-part player for a couple of years and may have lost his appetite.

On the other hand, Davies plays like he means it every week.

Sense of perspective finally. Something distinctly lacking on this board at times. Mother of God, talk about overreaction. Davies is a top 10 Prem striker - proven. He may be the wrong side of 30, which is probably a good thing given that if he wasn't you could be sure his price would be way out of the Rovers reach. Several posters have demanded young strikers. Why? This strategy is an old but increasingly risky one. If young bucks succeed, within 18 months they want a move - Bentley was a classic. Or, they fail. And by definition there is a high possibility of that. Young 'risky' strikers, because of the loan rules, are the preserve of rich clubs who can afford to take on hugely unwieldy squads but with the potential to loan out at the first sign of disaffection (eg Di Santo).

What Rovers need now is stability. A period where everyone knows what is happening irrespective of who is in the team. Kevin Davies has probably 3 or 4 years at the top left in him, playing every week and allowing us to build a side behind and around him.

In the end Sam has made some massive decisions since Christmas and almost all of them have been the right ones.

Don't give me the aesthetic stuff.... bunking up with Hughes was not exactly chandelier, silk stockings and crotchless panties was it? More like missionary 1-0s and 'character' performances. Which is all fine, except don't shoot the chick who tells you like it's going to be rather than the one who winks and ultimately descends into Coronation St omnibuses. And anyway, Sam, so far, is a far far better ride.

Back him.

As has been said by others, as a club, Rovers really cannot afford to sign over 30yo players. Presuming the likely absence of a takeover, the suitable and the only economically viable business option, given the age of the current squad, would be to bring in young "players of promise" in the hope that 50% may improve (we are strong in the development area) and be sold at profit. I simply cannot support the signing of anyone over 30 from an economic perspective.

Bang on, 2 million or the like should be the limit on players over 30, especially if they're not 1st teamers. If we were producing top younsters we'd be more justified in paying dosh to get the blend of experience but since we're not, we need to have salable assets. Just think, if Santa Cruz wasn't sold, where would the money come from. If Bentley wasn't sold, where would the money have come from for new signings. We need to sell off a star player if we are to add much needed rejuvination to our team and squad, as there's some cronic weaknesses in it.

Archived