BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

I believe Keith Harris is currently working on finding a buyer for a well-known club...OUTSIDE the Premier League.

You shouldn't give such big clues away! It's obvious now who Keith Harris is trying to setup a deal for. It must be yOrvil Town.

MagKeithHarris.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi-jaq, quality post. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks, you know when you've had a few beers & need to rant... you got it right there!!!

I was just thinking on the back of that, that these players we are reportedly looking to sign, are the type of signings I would be expecting Burnley to be making.

Davies - A 32 year old experienced but non prolific striker (£1m - £1.5m tops)

Rothen - Experienced winger not getting many games for current club in france (half million tops)

Di Santo - Young striker with some potential at one of the big four (loan - free)

Alan Smith - Just been relegated with current club, never really recoverd from the John Arne Risse free kick incident (£1.5m - £2m - big wages tho)

Van Heerden - Unproven, low wages, on a free worth a punt, especially as he's really quick

Not sure if these are the signings of a club with any other ambition than to do their best at staving off relegation. By the way the figures I had quoted earlier are my opinion of what these players are worth, and I'm being generous.

VERY WORRIED NOW CHAPS!!! :blink:

rothen i'll accept, he'll want decent wages so if free i'm all in favour of decent experience in midfield, with the emphesis firmly on him having to be free as i think in a years time we'll probably have someone younger/better and he'll likely just be a squad player

davies would improve us next season if we don't sign janko, zigic, pobgreniak, crouch, random striker from france/africa or if we simply keep roque, and i'd only accept his signing on the basis a million or less cause i simply see him being an expensive injured surplus to requirements squad player in a year.

i see davies being a money sucking leech that can't get a game in a year, much like egil ostenstad who we got in exchange for this guy and could never sell.

rothen i'll accept, he'll want decent wages so if free i'm all in favour of decent experience in midfield, with the emphesis firmly on him having to be free as i think in a years time we'll probably have someone younger/better and he'll likely just be a squad player

davies would improve us next season if we don't sign janko, zigic, pobgreniak, crouch, random striker from france/africa or if we simply keep roque, and i'd only accept his signing on the basis a million or less cause i simply see him being an expensive injured surplus to requirements squad player in a year.

i see davies being a money sucking leech that can't get a game in a year, much like egil ostenstad who we got in exchange for this guy and could never sell.

You right there with your points on Davies, that will probably be what happens... as for Rothen, if he was the oldest forward going player we signed this season, I would be happy, but thats not looking the case... if he is free, could be a decent signing, but if he ended up costing anymore than £500.000 then I would be a little frustrated that a few years ago we were signing players of his calibre and in some cases better for nothing.

Here it goes... I reckon this pre-season transfer window could end up getting pretty bumpy!!!

If I had to chose between GudJohnsen, 30 years old, for €3million and bigger wages or Davies, 32 years old, for £5 million, I would obviously chose Gudjohnsen.

I'm not sure. Look for the appetite and hunger and I see Davies in front.

Moving on....... If we are after Davies then we need an attacking midfielder with an eye for a goal to feed of his hold up play and knock downs.

Guest benmaxwell

What i would do if in Sam's shoes as i just told 'hi-jag':

Sign:

-Bentley (£7 million) {If transfer funds don't allow for it - Do not sign}

-Bent (£7 million)

-Bradley (£5 million)

-Renato Civelli (free)

-Modeste M'bami (free)

Leaving us with:

--------------Robinson--------------

Emerton-Samba-Nelsen-Warnock

Bentley-Bradley--Grella-Gamst

(^Diouf^)

---------Bent-----Di Santo---------

Bench/others:

Bunn

Givet

Civelli

M'Bami

Andrews

Diouf

McCarthy

David Dunn

Steven Reid (loan out to regain fitness)

Martin Olsson (loan out)

Elrio van Heerden

David Hoilett (fingers crossed)

Sell:

Roque Santa Cruz (£18 million)

Zurab Khizanishvili (£2 million)

Keith Treacy (Half a million)

Alan Judge (Half a million)

Jason Brown (Half a million)

Jason Roberts (£2.5 million)

Paul Gallagher (£1 million)

Maceo Rigters (loan/free)

(^ ^) = Alternate in case of stricter transfer budget.

Is there any chance that its us Nicko, it best not be Newcastle, Burnley or Bolton

My guess is that it won't be BRFC. NUFC most likely o the basis of most potential. All it needs is for someone to take a surely desperate Ashley's trousers down over the valuation of the club. Strictly speaking of course they are no longer a Prem club.

Guest benmaxwell

We are apparently being linked with Bafetimbi Gomis in the French media? Might be worth checking out?

Leaving us with:

Emerton-Samba-Nelsen-Warnock

Bentley-Bradley--Grella-Gamst

(^Diouf^)

Bench/others:

Bunn

Givet

Civelli

M'Bami

Andrews

Diouf

McCarthy

David Dunn

Steven Reid (loan out to regain fitness)

Martin Olsson (loan out)

Elrio van Heerden

David Hoilett (fingers crossed)

Sell:

Roque Santa Cruz (£18 million)

Zurab Khizanishvili (£2 million)

Keith Treacy (Half a million)

Alan Judge (Half a million)

Jason Brown (Half a million)

Jason Roberts (£2.5 million)

Paul Gallagher (£1 million)

Maceo Rigters (loan/free)

(^ ^) = Alternate in case of stricter transfer budget.

What about matty? also you would have givet on the bench and civelli on the bench?? I would go more like

Civelli-Samba-Nelsen-Givet

Bentley-MBai-Bradly-Gamst

(^Diouf^) (^Warnock^)

I was just thinking on the back of that, that these players we are reportedly looking to sign, are the type of signings I would be expecting Burnley to be making.

I'm with you there. If we were a newly promoted team like Wolves with some young and inexperienced players around then signing some established premiership players might be the only way to go. However, we are not. Despite this season's outgoings we still have a fair number of established players on our books and need pace, younger, stronger and hopefully fitter legs and some creativity and imagination in our squad. One of the projected signings, at a lowish fee, would not then cause most fans to make much fuss. It's the fact that the only youngish player around is this almost unknown Chelsea loanee and nobody else yet on the radar, and high prices for these elderly (in terms of football) players that is worrying and annoying people. If Allardyce had said at the end of the season that we'd have to put up with old crocks and selling the family silverware to pay for it, well, nobody would have liked it, but at least they couldn't have complained when it came to pass because they hadn't been lied to. It's the feeling of being cheated and treated like we're children to be bribed with the excellent season ticket offer and then fobbed off with much much less than our expectations that is really annoying. The truth may hurt, but in the end it causes far less resentment than does this feeling of let down that many are now suffering from.

I'm with you there. If we were a newly promoted team like Wolves with some young and inexperienced players around then signing some established premiership players might be the only way to go. However, we are not. Despite this season's outgoings we still have a fair number of established players on our books and need pace, younger, stronger and hopefully fitter legs and some creativity and imagination in our squad. One of the projected signings, at a lowish fee, would not then cause most fans to make much fuss. It's the fact that the only youngish player around is this almost unknown Chelsea loanee and nobody else yet on the radar, and high prices for these elderly (in terms of football) players that is worrying and annoying people. If Allardyce had said at the end of the season that we'd have to put up with old crocks and selling the family silverware to pay for it, well, nobody would have liked it, but at least they couldn't have complained when it came to pass because they hadn't been lied to. It's the feeling of being cheated and treated like we're children to be bribed with the excellent season ticket offer and then fobbed off with much much less than our expectations that is really annoying. The truth may hurt, but in the end it causes far less resentment than does this feeling of let down that many are now suffering from.

I've been off the board for a while but have been reading from afar. I'm fascinated at how some posters, quite a few actually, have been able to whip themselves up into a frenzy over stuff that hasn't happened yet. Not having a pop here at you gumboots, this was just one of a hundred similar posts I could have chosen, this was just in a convenient position to reply to <_<

If we look at what has actually happened then di Santo - why not and van Heerden - again why not. Givet - brilliant piece of work.

To be honest the di Santo thing does make me a little uncomfortable as we have no option to buy. I think I'd make a good father but I could never be a foster parent as I bond to easily and couldn't bear giving the kid back, but we would be good for each other I'm sure. I kind of feel like that about di Santo, as a fan I need to take him to my heart but also know "what's the point ..." he's off in under a year. I see the sense in the signing and back it, but as I say I'm uncomfortable with it. We are a 'family' club after all :D or is that stretching the analogy too far?

van Heerden, now that's more like it, taking a punt with a lad that's more likely to make it big than not. Nice business, let's see how it turns out, and however that is we are not likely to sell for less than what we paid, so good stuff.

As for the rest, it's just fantasy land, a weakness for righteous indignation and talk of being cheated really belongs in the pub after a few tasty pints not stone cold sober on this board, just seems daft to me.

Davies would IMO be a good signing, not my first choice by any means but the key word here is 'means' - we don't have much do we. We have to find someone to hold the ball up and stop it coming back through our non existent midfield a, Velcro Man, ideally in the mold of that arch exponent Sutty. Ball comes in at any height, any speed, any angle and he held it up and gave time for others to join play, didn't score a lot but that wasn't his primary job. Davies is nowhere near a Sutty but is probably as good as we are going to get in that mould.

Rocky was always going to go, that's why he came in the first place (shop window), so any conversation about being 27 and swapping for a less talented 32 year old or whatever is irrelevant.

All the other names are just more speculation, Rothen etc.. With our budget it's more about buying small adequate pieces and joining them up to form a big machine. We haven't the dosh to buy a couple of super quick, super young, super talented diamonds and even if we had you wouldn't want to set them into a brass washer of a team. We all know the weak positions in our team so we have to cover them and make the team functional again, that IMO is not about blowing the budget on one or two gems.

Sam will have us finishing higher than last year that's for sure. We aren't going to get into a Euro position so I'll settle for a consolidation season with some fun along the way (Burnley bashing) and then buy better players into a stable functional team next season.

As I say gumboots this is not a pop at you specifically but more at the general irrational frenzy that seems to be gripping formerly sensible posters. Chill.

As I say gumboots this is not a pop at you specifically but more at the general irrational frenzy that seems to be gripping formerly sensible posters. Chill.

I wasn't being emotional or whipping myself into a frenzy. I'm hoping to find that the 2 players I find very hard to swallow in Rothen and Davies are not going to happen, and i am aware they are at this stage speculation and links rather than fact. However, the fact remains that the end of the season was somewhat euphoric and there was quite a buzz around Ewood. We had survived a potential disaster of a season and would hopefully be going forward in a different vein. We were told to expect a more vibrant and youthful team. We could have accepted the signing of an older head in amongst that if he was reasonably cheap and came in among several younger players. That would seem reasonable because every team needs its old heads as well as its younger legs. However, what we are hearing so far is talk of former allardyce players coming in on high fees or foreigners who are looking for a last premier league pay day before the government start taking their 50% tax.

They may not be true rumours, but several at least probably are. If those signings eat up more of whatever smallish budget we have after allowing for the fact that the board aren't or don't seem to be spending on the team(I don't know what else they do pay for but I suspect it's more than we know) we would appear to be required/want to pay off some debt, we have to pay wages etc then there is very little left for any more vibrant signings. We may finish marginally higher than this season just because we were so awful under Ince. But it won't fill you with excitement looking further forward and most of the new season ticket holders we brought in because the prices were low will have crawled back into the woodwork taking some who have been supporting longer but can't stand the direction the team seems to be heading in with them.

It may all be speculation and rumour but it may equally come true and if it does then I for one will certainly feel let down and cheated. I'm an adult. If that's the way it's going to be then I want to be told so that I can decide whether I want to spend my time watching a team on a downward spiral, or whether doing the housework i too often neglect is a better way to spend my Saturdays.

The ONLY problem with signing Davies and/or Rothen is their age.

It is short-term thinking. They won't have any resale value at all.

I hope we do find someone younger who we can earn some money on. That is the way Wigan have been able to stay in the Premiership for the last years.

Sense of perspective finally. Something distinctly lacking on this board at times. Mother of God, talk about overreaction. Davies is a top 10 Prem striker - proven. He may be the wrong side of 30, which is probably a good thing given that if he wasn't you could be sure his price would be way out of the Rovers reach. Several posters have demanded young strikers. Why? This strategy is an old but increasingly risky one. If young bucks succeed, within 18 months they want a move - Bentley was a classic. Or, they fail. And by definition there is a high possibility of that. Young 'risky' strikers, because of the loan rules, are the preserve of rich clubs who can afford to take on hugely unwieldy squads but with the potential to loan out at the first sign of disaffection (eg Di Santo).

What Rovers need now is stability. A period where everyone knows what is happening irrespective of who is in the team. Kevin Davies has probably 3 or 4 years at the top left in him, playing every week and allowing us to build a side behind and around him.

In the end Sam has made some massive decisions since Christmas and almost all of them have been the right ones.

Don't give me the aesthetic stuff.... bunking up with Hughes was not exactly chandelier, silk stockings and crotchless panties was it? More like missionary 1-0s and 'character' performances. Which is all fine, except don't shoot the chick who tells you like it's going to be rather than the one who winks and ultimately descends into Coronation St omnibuses. And anyway, Sam, so far, is a far far better ride.

Back him.

Iamrover for PM!

I have over the years become so disappointed with the LET Coverage of Rovers affairs, Alf Thornton and Peter White must be turning in their graves!!

It appears as though they play guessing games and dont neccessarily get the right information from the club!!

When Peter White was at the Telegraph, if he wrote it, it happened, he had a mutual respect within the club built up over the years, nowadays, they seem to change the 'Rovers' journalist every two minutes and no relationships are built.

I remember the great Alf Thornton once telling me he knew what was happening at Rovers but would not divulge any information until the club gave him the nod, these bonds were built up over the years and my advice to the Telegraph would be to get some continuity and allow the journalist time to get the trust and respect of the club.

I dont know Nickos background, yet I do know he will have built up contacts over a number of years, make no mistake, newspapers need football clubs and football clubs need newspapers and the media.

I know we have to endure next season............. but not with the likes of rothen, davies, nolan, smith, etc.

What the hell????? then where are we going to move on 2 season later?????? with whole bunch, or maybe whole squad of players with no resale value?????...

This is devastating!!!!!!

I know we have to endure next season............. but not with the likes of rothen, davies, nolan, smith, etc.

What the hell????? then where are we going to move on 2 season later?????? with whole bunch, or maybe whole squad of players with no resale value?????...

This is devastating!!!!!!

None of those players have signed for Rovers therefore, as it stands, we won't be enduring anything.

Fans of other clubs must p'ss themselves laughing at some of the overreaction from us at times.

Exactly!

All fans over react. It's part of being a fan. Look at Spurs fans. One win and they are title contenders. One loss and they are all doomed. We all say it but when push comes to shove we don't really believe it. It's just that if you are a fan it's not just about being sensible - it's about emotion, feelings, romance, passion. We can put our cool heads on and work on seeing the pros and cons logically but still gut instinct plays a large part in what we say. Most of us are reasonable and sensible about our expectations for our club, but it doesn't stop us reacting instantly to things we don't like in this way.

Archived