BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

All fans over react. It's part of being a fan. Look at Spurs fans. One win and they are title contenders. One loss and they are all doomed. We all say it but when push comes to shove we don't really believe it. It's just that if you are a fan it's not just about being sensible - it's about emotion, feelings, romance, passion. We can put our cool heads on and work on seeing the pros and cons logically but still gut instinct plays a large part in what we say. Most of us are reasonable and sensible about our expectations for our club, but it doesn't stop us reacting instantly to things we don't like in this way.

Yes, I would agree with that :)

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the great Alf Thornton once telling me he knew what was happening at Rovers but would not divulge any information until the club gave him the nod, these bonds were built up over the years and my advice to the Telegraph would be to get some continuity and allow the journalist time to get the trust and respect of the club.

Scoops were far and few between in those times then? I think it's imperative that a journo doesn't get coloured by the club, he/she needs to stay independent and do journalism, not club PR.

All fans over react. It's part of being a fan. Look at Spurs fans. One win and they are title contenders. One loss and they are all doomed. We all say it but when push comes to shove we don't really believe it. It's just that if you are a fan it's not just about being sensible - it's about emotion, feelings, romance, passion. We can put our cool heads on and work on seeing the pros and cons logically but still gut instinct plays a large part in what we say. Most of us are reasonable and sensible about our expectations for our club, but it doesn't stop us reacting instantly to things we don't like in this way.

Yes but you missed CrazyIvan's point, or at least it seems so from the anology you used. There is a difference between overeacting to things that have actually happened and things that are just speculation. Davies, Rothen etc have not signed yet so let's wait til we see them with the shirt before we start panicking...that is the point

I must admit that I haven't been on for a few days & didn't hear anything about any of our transfer dealings for the last couple of days. As we were getting towards the end of the week I had been quite optomistic about our targets & some of the players we have been linked with had got me fairly excited.

THIS HAS ALL GONE OUT OF THE WINDOW!!!

At the moment I feel we as Rovers fans have been spun a few lines to get us on board with the new regime & now we may be begining to see the immediate future for our beloved football club. I was happy with the Jerome Rothen situation, as he might just have been that older head & experienced player that we would be lacking in midfield now Tugay has gone. Then comes the story about Franco Di Santo, my opinion here, he was sold for £3m by his club (the same club that valued Villanueva at £5m) he has made a few substitute apperances for Chelsea but not scored any goals & when I had seen him play in these games, he never really did anything special. I fear that the kid may not make the step up into first team football in the premiership & as such can only be seen as a substitute, at least for the early part of the season.

Now here's the bombshell, WE ARE ACTIVELY LOOKING TO SIGN KEVIN DAVIES If this is to be believed we have sold a 27 year old Roque Santa Cruz (10 times the player Kevin Davies is, at least he is when he's fit), and one of our youngest first team players, Matty Derbishire has also gone, not to mention Aaron Mokoena, mid to late 20's. It now looks as though in the majority we are replacing these players with older more experienced ones, as opposed to 'a younger & more vibrant squad' (that was the line that was fed to us at the end of last season). I understand that as it goes we have signed Elrio Van Heerden & he's fairly young, but hes about as proven as Villanueva was last year & we can all see how that could possibly turn out, also considering his injury problems, I dont think he will have a massive impact, and according to an interview Sam Allardyce did when he signed him, he doesn't think he will have a big impact either!!!

I am officially worried about our situation, I for one, DO NOT WANT Kevin Davies & the more I think about it, the more I'm falling out with the idea of Jerome Rothen signing too. I have ordered my first ever season ticket this year & I have also bought my 3 year old daughter one too. I might be cancelling them if the money I plan to spend get spent by the club on Kevin Davies & Jerome Rothen. They are saying that Davies could end up costing £5m & Rothen could cost as much as £3m. Thats a combined £8m, and the thought of it is making me furious... I have gone from excited, optomistic and ultimately quite anxious for the season to start, to worried, hesitant & angry at how we as fans could be getting shafted, in terms of what we were expecting from the up coming season.

I'm going to go to bed & hopefully, I will wake up tomorrow & we will have signed Matias Fernandez, Pavel Pogrebnyak and possibly that kid from Barcelona... Leo Messi I think his name is!!! :lol: Either that, or these links are just a bit of a smoke screen to cover up some our other business & none of it comes off... PLEASE!!!

Absolutely, spot on, just how I feel!!

A high risk strategy is spending ALL your money on old players with no future value!! If it doesn't work out brilliantly to create future transfer revenue we will be completely st****d and relegated. It seems our only transfer budget is generated by our sales of good young players. If we don't have any any young players to sell how can we buy new players in future.

VERY VERY WORRYING!

I don't think Everton would do a '60 per cent' deal with anyone.

That figure is also what would rule us out. If a rich Arab was going to buy us from the trust I'd have thought they would just buy all of their shares, which is what - 98-99% of the total?

It's the feeling of being cheated and treated like we're children to be bribed with the excellent season ticket offer and then fobbed off with much much less than our expectations that is really annoying.

Is there a link I wonder? :rolleyes:

btw can you not sleep?

I've been off the board for a while but have been reading from afar. I'm fascinated at how some posters, quite a few actually, have been able to whip themselves up into a frenzy over stuff that hasn't happened yet. Not having a pop here at you gumboots, this was just one of a hundred similar posts I could have chosen, this was just in a convenient position to reply to <_<

If we look at what has actually happened then di Santo - why not and van Heerden - again why not. Givet - brilliant piece of work.

To be honest the di Santo thing does make me a little uncomfortable as we have no option to buy. I think I'd make a good father but I could never be a foster parent as I bond to easily and couldn't bear giving the kid back, but we would be good for each other I'm sure. I kind of feel like that about di Santo, as a fan I need to take him to my heart but also know "what's the point ..." he's off in under a year. I see the sense in the signing and back it, but as I say I'm uncomfortable with it. We are a 'family' club after all :D or is that stretching the analogy too far?

van Heerden, now that's more like it, taking a punt with a lad that's more likely to make it big than not. Nice business, let's see how it turns out, and however that is we are not likely to sell for less than what we paid, so good stuff.

As for the rest, it's just fantasy land, a weakness for righteous indignation and talk of being cheated really belongs in the pub after a few tasty pints not stone cold sober on this board, just seems daft to me.

Davies would IMO be a good signing, not my first choice by any means but the key word here is 'means' - we don't have much do we. We have to find someone to hold the ball up and stop it coming back through our non existent midfield a, Velcro Man, ideally in the mold of that arch exponent Sutty. Ball comes in at any height, any speed, any angle and he held it up and gave time for others to join play, didn't score a lot but that wasn't his primary job. Davies is nowhere near a Sutty but is probably as good as we are going to get in that mould.

Rocky was always going to go, that's why he came in the first place (shop window), so any conversation about being 27 and swapping for a less talented 32 year old or whatever is irrelevant.

All the other names are just more speculation, Rothen etc.. With our budget it's more about buying small adequate pieces and joining them up to form a big machine. We haven't the dosh to buy a couple of super quick, super young, super talented diamonds and even if we had you wouldn't want to set them into a brass washer of a team. We all know the weak positions in our team so we have to cover them and make the team functional again, that IMO is not about blowing the budget on one or two gems.

Sam will have us finishing higher than last year that's for sure. We aren't going to get into a Euro position so I'll settle for a consolidation season with some fun along the way (Burnley bashing) and then buy better players into a stable functional team next season.

As I say gumboots this is not a pop at you specifically but more at the general irrational frenzy that seems to be gripping formerly sensible posters. Chill.

Good post! This board has never been the same since half of em went on that Facebook thing. It seems much easier now to whip people up into a frenzied collective than it's ever been.

Someone on 606 is claiming "they have been told" Janko is close to signing for Rovers. Take that as you will...

If we played Di Santo and Janko up front that would be pretty mental. Has they're ever been a taller partnership?! They both look good with their feet though so it wouldn't all be the long ball.

Someone on 606 is claiming "they have been told" Janko is close to signing for Rovers. Take that as you will...

That'll do nicely. Wouldn't even mind if Davies came to play right wing/wide striker then, just as long as he's not the focal point of our attack.

Slightly worried that we don't seem to be linked with many midfielders though, unless Sam reckons Emerton and Reid will be ready for next year and maybe even Judge.

Sam will have us finishing higher than last year that's for sure. We aren't going to get into a Euro position so I'll settle for a consolidation season with some fun along the way (Burnley bashing) and then buy better players into a stable functional team next season.

With what - we will have no money because we wont have anybody to sell to generate the funds!

It may all be speculation and rumour but it may equally come true and if it does then I for one will certainly feel let down and cheated. I'm an adult. If that's the way it's going to be then I want to be told so that I can decide whether I want to spend my time watching a team on a downward spiral, or whether doing the housework i too often neglect is a better way to spend my Saturdays.

You've regressed to the same tantrummy state you were in last season. Get a grip woman. JW will not call round for a cup of tea just to tell you his intentions and thats that! Daft thing is that if I rem correctly you've been nagging waggy a couple of months back for doing just the same.

You want to be treated as an adult you should try behaving like one and not like one of your charges at school.

With what - we will have no money because we wont have anybody to sell to generate the funds!

Stan Ternent famously said about Burnley fans "This lot have champagne tastes on beer money"

This mboard illustrates that his words are even more applicable this side of Accy. <_<

Yes but you missed CrazyIvan's point, or at least it seems so from the anology you used. There is a difference between overeacting to things that have actually happened and things that are just speculation. Davies, Rothen etc have not signed yet so let's wait til we see them with the shirt before we start panicking...that is the point

No, I understood what he said. But at the moment all we have is speculation so we over react to that. When we have fact we'll probably over react to that too. It's the nature of being a fan. And if we can't say what we think or feel until things become fact, well then it's too late. We don't realistically expect our board, our chairman or our manager to actually be influenced by anything we say here, or at least I don't. But this offers us a place where we can fairly anonymously get things off our chest. What we say here and what we actually do when things happen are, for many, 2 very different things.

Is there a link I wonder? :rolleyes:

btw can you not sleep?

Bad chest. Coughing so much it woke up my husband so i got up to make a cup of tea and sit upright for a while which worked well and I then went back to bed and slept soundly for the rest of the night. I'm not normally nocturnal - i need my sleep too much.

Bad chest. Coughing so much it woke up my husband so i got up to make a cup of tea and sit upright for a while which worked well and I then went back to bed and slept soundly for the rest of the night. I'm not normally nocturnal - i need my sleep too much.

No wonder you're grumpy.

btw Even better cure all with a shot of whisky in. ;)

You've regressed to the same tantrummy state you were in last season. Get a grip woman. JW will not call round for a cup of tea just to tell you his intentions and thats that! Daft thing is that if I rem correctly you've been nagging waggy a couple of months back for doing just the same.

You want to be treated as an adult you should try behaving like one and not like one of your charges at school.

No, in that if you read other posts I've said I'm fully intending to be there although due to financial considerations like paying a fortune for my daughter's university course I haven't renewed my ticket yet. And I don't expect Mr williams to call round though he does sometimes stop to chat if you are at Ewood when he's on one of his strolls around the ground. However, what i don't expect is to hear it being said that we are looking for a younger, more vibrant squad next year and then find that we are not. If the rumours are true (and I've said all along that I know they are only rumours from a journalist who happens to contribute on here but who gets enough right for us to treat the rumours seriously) then younger and more vibrant are certainly not words you could use to describe the potential incomings. Anyway, back to the reports!

Stan Ternent famously said about Burnley fans "This lot have champagne tastes on beer money"

This mboard illustrates that his words are even more applicable this side of Accy. <_<

And theres me thinking we had a huge £40m wage bill :unsure:

personally i think the telegraph is more reliable than the people newspaper at this stage of the deal, the LET are the clubs official paper really and always have been. if they say the deal is pretty much done then that will be the case.

The LET didn't know who Di Santo was until they read it in the People...

Keep it real.

The move has NOT moved on from the details outlined last weekend.

It is a feeble attempt by the club to take people's mind off the Dreaded Davies.

Hilarious.

We HAVE to be in for the lad, surely Sam ust see that we need to add some youth to our team. He's one of the hottest youth prospects around and is out of contract in 12 months. He'd certainly add something to our attacking options.

Come on Sam, surely we'd be a better prospect than Burnleh for the lad.

Archived