BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Nicko said there will have to be at least two strikers ready for Sam to let both Roque and Derbyshire to go. Looks like Derbyshire will go today. Im assuming Di santo and Davies are the targets. That should leave us with at least 6 - 7 Million to spend on a Midfielder and RB.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fernando Morientes is on a free anyone?

(Before I start I want to clarify that I am not singling you out as a few other people have suggested him)

:blink: Would be another Robbie Fowler but on bigger wages. This lad looked woeful when he was at Liverpool being fed by one of the best midfielders in the business in Gerrard. Why anyone would think he could do anything for a team such as ourselves where half the midfield is on the treatment table for most of the season is beyond me!

Nicko said there will have to be at least two strikers ready for Sam to let both Roque and Derbyshire to go. Looks like Derbyshire will go today. Im assuming Di santo and Davies are the targets. That should leave us with at least 6 - 7 Million to spend on a Midfielder and RB.

Two strikers...one right back/centre half...at least one midfielder.

And that's only if no-one else goes.

Far busier than just two signings.

Has to be.

Nicko, In your honest opinion do you think the 13million we reportedly have to spend should be spent on ageing but effective players? with no consideration for the future??

IMHO, The best eras we have had while i have supported rovers have been the ones were we have taken the chance on youth & have watched as these have flourished!! Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Bentley, Samba, i would personally prefer one of these types than a stop gap such as Davies!!

Nicko, In your honest opinion do you think the 13million we reportedly have to spend should be spent on ageing but effective players? with no consideration for the future??

IMHO, The best eras we have had while i have supported rovers have been the ones were we have taken the chance on youth & have watched as these have flourished!! Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Bentley, Samba, i would personally prefer one of these types than a stop gap such as Davies!!

What he said!! Spot on mate!

That's the point though Nicko, they didn't cost much to bring in. If we signed Owen on relatively high wages I would be all for it. Davies coming in would be on relatively high wages and have a huge fee tagged along as well.

Here's the real question. Which is better:

1) Signing someone at a decent age who is then sold later on for the same amount or for a profit (see Bentley, Santa Cruz, Bellamy or even Anelka if you want to look at Allardyce at Bolton)

2) Signing an older player who when he leaves you are then not in a position financially to replace (see Cole, Okocha, Campo..)

I'm all for signing experienced players who can do a job, but you shouldn't spend a large part of your transfer budget on them, it just doesn't make sense. The best way for a club of our size to operate is to buy players who could be sold for a profit. If we were City, Spurs, Villa or a big four club I would be all for signing anyone who would make us 4 points better, but we just can't work like that on a consistent basis.

At the moment our squad is relatively old, we have plenty of players who are in their "prime" (26-29) and plenty of players in their early 30's, so we are looking at a few years when a lot of players will need to be replaced, why add to that?

We've seen in recent years how difficult it is to replace people like Duff, Bellamy and Bentley, even to replace Neill, why should the club look to spend money knowing that, even at best, it is only a short-term fix.

We are in a relatively rare positiion for this club, we won't have 15ish million to spend next summer, so why use it on buying players who for one don't get the fans even remotely excited and who, secondly, are hugely overpriced and will need to be replaced when we don't have nearly as much money?

If you can explain all of that to me, then you can convert me. Either that or if you can put your hand on your heart and say that adding Davies and Rothen to this squad will push us into the Champions League. Maybe with Davies we finish two places higher, which would be a significant impact for one player to have, but that is just 1.5 million back on the 5-6 million we spent on him. He's not going to excite the fans with his play, so it isn't even adding to the entertainment value at Ewood Park.

As myself and American have pointed out in the past, as well as some others, this club needs to be run in a "Moneyball"-Billy Beane sort of way and signing older players for high fees just isn't the way to go.

by far the best post on this subject eddie, which i totally agree with.

Hi guys

first post on here.

Got to think logically about this. If we sign young players with potential, you pay for that potential, and there is a gamble, which could mean they don't reach their potential or can't cope woth the physicallity of the PL and then no sell on fee either.

We can't afford to spend the big bucks either and sign players that have been proven and in their prime as the transfer fee and wages package makes this prohibitive.

We are therefore left with players who have shown they can do a job, but for whatever reason, have fallen out of favour with their respective clubs/managers ala Givet and are looking for a kickstart to their carreers or older pros who are looking for a final hurrah.

Sam appears, according to the players linked, to be looking at options 1 (di Santo) and 2 (Givet Rothen etc).

We have got to be reallistic

Nicko, you stated a couple of weeks ago that Matty would not leave until two strikers where brought in. To date no one is actually in.

????????????. Have the goal posts been moved?.

That is what Sam told the Derbyshire camp. 100 per cent.

So the manager must be confident he has his two guys coming in - or the money from the Greeks became too good.

Only time will tell which one of those is right.

You have a pretty reasonable pot right now. Putting a chunk of it into Davies is fine by me. It still leaves you with cash for other positions.

You have to remember that Dunn and Duff emerged from a youth set-up that was one of the best around at the time. You have NOTHING like that now. And nobody else is going to do you a favour.

That is what Sam told the Derbyshire camp. 100 per cent.

So the manager must be confident he has his two guys coming in - or the money from the Greeks became too good.

Only time will tell which one of those is right.

Point taken thanks.

I don't consider either Di Santos or KD as stone wall signings.

I can't see the increase of 500k -1m making Sam jump through hoops either.

I think Matty will still be here for a few weeks yet.

I noticed yesterday that Gala had signed a CB, wonder if that leaves Kishi in the lurch.

Guest benmaxwell
You have to remember that Dunn and Duff emerged from a youth set-up that was one of the best around at the time. You have NOTHING like that now. And nobody else is going to do you a favour.

I'd say that is a pretty damn good reason right there to buy young.

Allow the players we already have at the club to grow old, and buy young.

We can't afford to have a old squad, and then buy old with what money we have.

In 3 years time, if we don't get some outside investment, or have young players to sell on for a profit, we are going to be up # creek without a penny to buy with... The profits from selling Bentley and Cruz have quite literally kept us going the last few years. Where do we get the money from if we use that money with players with no potential for profit.

If we follow that path, we will be forced to sell off our younger players over and over until were left with ancient squad with no ability to bring in real talent.

No point in signing a 10 mill plus striker, if our midfield are having treatment, or just wandering around the field. I would seriously consider using from that money to help give the midfield a shake up. Benni, Roberts, Di Santo and one other can be good. Seiterides on a free for right back, Shikabala for a cheap fee as well perhaps? Then we could bring in a quality central midfielder, who i dont know.

Out:

Santa Cruz £17m

Derbyshire £3m

Oijer £free

Vogel £free

Mokoena £free

Simpson £loan

Villanueva £loan

Tugay retired

Possibly leaving:

Gallacher

Rigters

Khizanishvili

Our squad at the moment:

GK:

Robinson

Brown

Bunn

Def:

Emerton/Andrews

Samba

Nelsen

Warnock

Givet

Olsson

Midfelders:

Diouf

Andrews/Emerton

Warnock

Grella

Dunn

Pedersen

Doran

Treacy

Van Heerden

Strikers:

Roberts

McCarthy

Hoilett

Santa Cruz Jr

Well I can see us buying two strikers. You never know if McCarthy will leave. Our best lineup at the moment is:

Robinson

Emerton, Nelsen, Samba, Givet

Diouf, Grella, Warnock, Pedersen

Roberts, McCarthy

Subs: Brown, Olsson, Dunn, Doran, Andrews, Van Heerden

But then we have nothing if injury would happen.

But two add three really good players to this squad will do wonders.

Don't know when Steven Reid will be back though?

I believe that Doran and Olsson will make his grade this year!

I would take Rothen and one seriously good midfielder. And Di Santo and one seriously good striker. The right wing position is an interesting ones - we currently have Diouf, Van Heerden, Emerton, DOran and, potentially, Hoilett available to play there. You would have to ask whether we need (or can afford) to spend there?

Right back is a crucial singing. If we lost Emerton we would literally have no alternative. Civilli has to be an option right?

So two three very cheap/free signings - Rothen, Di Santo and someone like Civilli/Seitaridis would leave a fair chunk for a striker and a central midfield player. That would leave us in pretty good nick I think, significantly stronger than last year.

I would take Rothen and one seriously good midfielder. And Di Santo and one seriously good striker. The right wing position is an interesting ones - in particular on the right wing we will have Diouf, Van Heerden, Emerton and, potentially, Hoilett available. You would have to ask whether we need to spend there?

Right back is a crucial singing. If we lost Emerton we would literally have no alternative. Civilli has to be an option right?

Keith Andrews?

I would take Rothen and one seriously good midfielder. And Di Santo and one seriously good striker. The right wing position is an interesting ones - we currently have Diouf, Van Heerden, Emerton, DOran and, potentially, Hoilett available to play there. You would have to ask whether we need (or can afford) to spend there?

So two three very cheap/free signings - Rothen, Di Santo and someone like Civilli/Seitaridis would leave a fair chunk for a striker and a central midfield player. That would leave us in pretty good nick I think, significantly stronger than last year.

Good post agree 100%.

If we sign di santo I want Cisse on the cheap.

Andrews would be a risk at right back, as far as I'm aware he'd never played the position. I thought that Givet could play there, though.

Agree totally with Neo, all this talk of Davies is interesting and controversial, but the real concern is central midfield. As it has been for at least three years. We need at least one, but probably two good central midfielders. I would have thought that that was the highest priority.

Edit: Also, I'd have Davies over Cisse. At least Davies is putting in the effort currently.

No point in signing a 10 mill plus striker, if our midfield are having treatment, or just wandering around the field. I would seriously consider using from that money to help give the midfield a shake up. Benni, Roberts, Di Santo and one other can be good. Seiterides on a free for right back, Shikabala for a cheap fee as well perhaps? Then we could bring in a quality central midfielder, who i dont know.

I totally agree. We've sold RSC who rarely played after January and might sell Derbyshire who was out on loan. Bring in Di Santo and even Gallagher if neccessary.

Focus on a decent CM and RM to provide some creativity. We have not had a decent CM pairing for years!

He was pretty bloody good there in all fairness last season?

He was OK, "pretty bloody good" are words i wouldnt associate with Keith.

Would you really want him at right back for the whole campaign if Emerton broke down again with injury?

I totally agree. We've sold RSC who rarely played after January and might sell Derbyshire who was out on loan. Bring in Di Santo and even Gallagher if neccessary.

Focus on a decent CM and RM to provide some creativity. We have not had a decent CM pairing for years!

In which parallel universe would Gallagher ever be necessary?

I know we've had the arguements about reducing the age of our squad before, but I feel that with the injuries we constantly have in the middle of the park that there may be a spot in there for another old head. Which leads me on to Hamman. I've just seen him on SSN talking about wanting to play another two seasons in the Premier League and that he has started his badges. Not sure if his exclusion for large parts last season was down to injury or tactics, but I feel that he could offer us something in that department now that both Tugay and Moko have left. Thoughts?

He was pretty bloody good there in all fairness last season?

He was ok against teams that had no left wing. Against Liverpool he was turned inside out time and again. He would be against any team that played a left midfielder/winger. Simply not a long term option for that position.

Archived