BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Just a few points.

Owen is 29. Davies is 32.

Owen is free. Davies is £5m+

Owen still has a good goals to games ratio (when he plays). Davies had his best season last season and got 12.

You can see why people would argue that Owen is better value for money but neither have a resale value. Should be looking at Bent IMO.

good point but I feel they are different players owen would be as good as a benni but davis would give us more strength upfront which is how sam wants to play also sam dropped owen at newcastle so he obviously dosnt rate him cant see that happening although davis is another story. I hope we get neither. As with bent i think if sunderland go after him he could be worth about 8-9 million. that would only leave us with 4 or so. I would rather a Zidane for 7 and maybe a gambe with arango for 3 rather than just bent. but we will wait and see.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Di Santo isn't a done deal yet, it only takes Ancelotti to decide he wants to keep him and the deal is dead .

Chelsea signing Sturridge today would seem to increase the likelyhood of this loan deal going through.

good point but I feel they are different players owen would be as good as a benni but davis would give us more strength upfront which is how sam wants to play also sam dropped owen at newcastle so he obviously dosnt rate him cant see that happening although davis is another story. I hope we get neither. As with bent i think if sunderland go after him he could be worth about 8-9 million. that would only leave us with 4 or so. I would rather a Zidane for 7 and maybe a gambe with arango for 3 rather than just bent. but we will wait and see.

And people are complaining about older players! :)

I know who you mean (Zidan, for those who missed it!). We need, as a matter of urgency, to get some midfield. Particularly we need one creative midfielder. We used to have one on the right wing, but anyone in midfield can dictate the pace of the game if they're good enough and the people around them are good enough, although personally I like to see them in the centre. I'm worried that Rothen is the only midfielder we appear to be linked to.

As an aside, I'm curious for opinions here, comparisons between Andrews and Savage? Tireless midfield destroyers...

One plays wide, one plays centrally, for a start.

Cole was probably Chelsea's best performer prior to injury. I doubt Ancelotti would want to sell him.

Joe Cole plays wide cos Lampard can't adapt to any other position. Cole can play a brand of attacking mid as well as anybody in the country and that includes Stevie G imo.

As an aside, I'm curious for opinions here, comparisons between Andrews and Savage? Tireless midfield destroyers...

Actually it's interesting to compare them to each other. None of them with good technique and limited passing skills. Though I have to say that Savage was a much more precise tackler and did look more of a "pain in the ass" for the opposition. He also had that quality to wind up the rest of the team and fight !

Joe Cole plays wide cos Lampard can't adapt to any other position.

Joe Cole plays wide because he's useless in the middle. It was Mourinho who transformed Cole's career by making him into a highly effective winger, until then he'd been a mediocre show-pony of a central player. That was a bit of an odd dig at Lampard who is easily the better the two anyway.

You don't know Davies's cost Modes.

Read the papers den ;) . LET for one states that it would take more than the figures banded around to get Bolton's more influencial player. But that really isn't important, the point was that he costs a transfer fee.

good point but I feel they are different players

I wasn't saying we should sign Owen, I would be against any deal unless he was basically paid, very well, for the goals he scored with a very basic wage.

There are far better and younger players we should be looking at than Owen and Davies. Taking a chance on a foreigner who scores goals in their league is a better gamble for the future of the football club than wasting the profits from our only real big asset on a player that will be retiring at the end of his next contract.

In football every signing you make is a gamble, the first day in training they could get a serious injury. Its better to shell out for a younger talent and try to bring them through and sell them on IMO.

Darren Bent scores goals, even at £10m he provides good value for money. We would see a good return even if he failed to impress. His wages may be inflated but you've just sold the clubs previous highest earner. Failing that sign someone that will score for a couple of seasons then we have to replace them with no money.

Joe Cole plays wide because he's useless in the middle. It was Mourinho who transformed Cole's career by making him into a highly effective winger, until then he'd been a mediocre show-pony of a central player. That was a bit of an odd dig at Lampard who is easily the better the two anyway.

Chelsea BOUGHT Cole because of his central midfield play. :wacko:

Actually it's interesting to compare them to each other. None of them with good technique and limited passing skills. Though I have to say that Savage was a much more precise tackler and did look more of a "pain in the ass" for the opposition. He also had that quality to wind up the rest of the team and fight !

And Sav, even at 30 was about 3 yards quicker than Andrews, christ, I have a bottle of milk that would turn quicker than Andrews :lol:

Chelsea signing Sturridge today would seem to increase the likelyhood of this loan deal going through.

Sturridge is not done yet. It's another SSN catch-up tale without having any substance.

That one still has a bit to travel before it gets done.

There are far better and younger players we should be looking at than Owen and Davies. Taking a chance on a foreigner who scores goals in their league is a better gamble for the future of the football club than wasting the profits from our only real big asset on a

Rovers cannot afford to gamble. The club gambled last summer (remember) with an inexperienced manager and look what happened.

Davies would do a good job for Rovers.

That's wrong Jim !

I think this is a summer transfer window where we actually have the ability to gamble on the transfers.

From January Sam took us to europen place with the current squad.

We have sold Roque, but he didnt feature at all - ie we have the same squad that did bring in a lot of points under Sam last season.

With a couple of young and potential players we will have a very good squad and probably a little bit of resale value.

If you look at Wigan you can see how well they have done it; Valencia, Palacios, Heskey etc

We are a club that have to transform into this model to stay in the premier league.

That's wrong Jim !

I think this is a summer transfer window where we actually have the ability to gamble on the transfers.

From January Sam took us to europen place with the current squad.

We have sold Roque, but he didnt feature at all - ie we have the same squad that did bring in a lot of points under Sam last season.

With a couple of young and potential players we will have a very good squad and probably a little bit of resale value.

If you look at Wigan you can see how well they have done it; Valencia, Palacios, Heskey etc

We are a club that have to transform into this model to stay in the premier league.

Gamble on transfers? Never heard owt so daft. Yes, we got to safety without Rocky, but my goodness how bad were we? We're not building onto a squad full of quality, are we?

Gamble on transfers? Never heard owt so daft. Yes, we got to safety without Rocky, but my goodness how bad were we? We're not building onto a squad full of quality, are we?

Actually I think we are.

Dunn, Grella, Warnock, Samba, Givet, Pedersen, Benni, Roberts, Diouf, Robinson and Emerton are all players with premiership quality.

We should be looking to add someone young with potential.

Actually I think we are.

Dunn, Grella, Warnock, Samba, Givet, Pedersen, Benni, Roberts, Diouf, Robinson and Emerton are all players with premiership quality.

We should be looking to add someone young with potential.

Some of those yes but at least 2 are crocks, one is overweight, one is coming back from a major injury, one has lost whatever pace he had, one has lost whatever crossing and free kick quality he ever had, one has just joined us one can't finish and that leaves i think 2 who might be ok.

Archived