BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest benmaxwell

Derbyshire has agreed terms (four year deal) with Olympiakos and completed his medical. £3 million in the pocket.

Rovers cannot afford to gamble. The club gambled last summer (remember) with an inexperienced manager and look what happened.

Davies would do a good job for Rovers.

It's not a gamble like putting a headless chicken in charge of a football club. It is a gamble in terms of the player has the ability and skills but hasn't done it in the PL and lets face it at some stage every player hasn't played in the PL.

I don't doubt that Davies would "do a good" but is that really what we want? Bellamy, Benni and Rocky all came in and scored for fun, Davies will not do that. Each had a high resale value, Davies won't. It doesn't make business or footballing sense.

Edit: Its important to get a top goal scorer with Derbyshire leaving as well.

Guest benmaxwell
sell-on clause or add-ons?

£3 million with 30% sell on as far as i am aware. Official confirmation: http://www.olympiakos.gr/index.html?lang=en#/Article/26003/

Can't help but feel very depressed at this. If Rothen and Davies come in, our teams average age is going to go through the roof with Derbs and Cruz out. Yes we signed Elrio, but he isn't even going to be ready till at least halfway through the season according to Sam.

Can't help but feel lied to by Sam...

I remember his comments about making us more vibrant. Don't recall comments specifically relating to age, when did he say that?

Think the 2 went together younger, more vibrant but that could just be an assumption because the 2 tend to go together in your head.

• Backroom

I think they overpaid but as time goes on I think Birminghams aquisition of Christian Benitez may turn out to be a good signing. Whats the situation with that Moussa Dembele bloke?

I've said it once so i'll say it again, Bring back shabani

I think they overpaid but as time goes on I think Birminghams aquisition of Christian Benitez may turn out to be a good signing. Whats the situation with that Moussa Dembele bloke?

I've said it once so i'll say it again, Bring back shabani

Benitez is an interesting player, but two things worry me about him. Steve Bruce went to see him and went off him and he didn't start for Ecuador in their recent games.

Over-priced and risky.

That sounds ominous...?

Not Sam is it? :blink:

Keep it quiet, but I heard you were getting the chief scout job. ;) With special responsibilities for finding young strikers.

Guest benmaxwell
Keep it quiet, but I heard you were getting the chief scout job. ;) With special responsibilities for finding young strikers.

Cool! I'd like to thank my mother, my girlfriend, my pet cat flopsy!

Oh no your joking aren't you... What a disappointment! :rolleyes:

Nicko, seriously, do you know if Sam has any plans to bring the squad of the age down at all? It's just it seems to be creaping up at the moment. It kind of goes against what he said he would do last month? :unsure:

Also, i answered your young Bolton/Newcastle/Rovers player quip...

Nicko, seriously, do you know if Sam has any plans to bring the squad of the age down at all? It's just it seems to be creaping up at the moment. It kind of goes against what he said he would do last month? :unsure:

Surely with Tugay and Ooijer leaving, that has lowered the age of the squad.

Ben,

I fully appreciate your thoughts on bringing young players in, my feelings are these, yes, lets bring the likesof the South African we have signed, Hoilett back in etc. the secret of doing that is to bring them in gradually in a reasonably succesful team, you cant bring them in a side fighting a relegation battle, they, in the majority of cases wont come through, bring them through gently nd choose their games carefully to give them the confidence required to play at Premiership level.

Arsenal have virtually bought their youth team, they are bloody good, maybe we get a team for two years and spend the money on 18 year olds, spend all their time playing one and two touch football and who knows!! How old was Walcott when they bought him 16/17??? They didnt play him for a while though!

I agree Kelbo but I firmly believe that if it wasn't for Ince, the squad we had last season would sit comfortably in mid table. We even got out of the trouble when we had 3-4 first teamers out from january and onwards. We can afford a gamble or two imo.

Just had a quick look at Owen's stats after reading through his brochure. Seems he has played the same amount of games as Santa Cruz over the past couple of years and scored only four less (57 games 19 goals)! Even worse is one of the greatest con men in the game Craig Bellamy, he has a mighty return of 9 goals in 32 games over the past three years! We really dodged a bullet getting rid of him.

Makes you think, Owen on a three year 60k per week contract will cost us 9.36 million. Davies on 35k per week and a 5 million fee would cost us 10.46 over the same period.

Certainly makes me think!

as far as the age thing goes , there's nothing wrong with signing players over 30 as long as there is a bit of youth to balance it out

Archived