BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mendes is a classy player, and would be a great successor to Tugay. He far from failed in the PL, contrary to what some believe. At the heart of Pompey's midfield, they went on to win the FA Cup and only finished one place lower than us.

Red Bull Salzburg to Blackburn - The Insider says: 2/5

The Austria international is back on the agenda for Sam Allardyce after the sale of Roque Santa Cruz to Manchester City.

An approach for Kevin Davies may be troublesome with the 32-year-old comfortable at Bolton and being promised new signings to improve the squad next season.

Janko has been watched constantly but there are still doubts he can handle the Premier League after playing in Austria.

Tottenham have watched him. Celtic and Fulham are also interested.

Nicko, is there any Rovers interest in Benjani? Can't see him getting much of a run over at Citeh this season, when their shiny new forward line is in place.

Reasonably limited player in some ways, but someone who can lead the line and (when on song) put the ball in the back of the net. I would rather see him turning out for Rovers than Davies.

I don't think there is...I liked him a lot, but since his injury problems he has gone back an awful long way.

No comparison whatsoever with Davies.

Huge work permit problems still...and didn't get a sniff against Egypt last week [although that was only one game].

Would not have the strength for the Prem.

I think in another month the work permit problems go out the door - Confed and Gold Cup appearances should put him over the top.

Did well to get a penalty against Italy. His speed will cause problems, but he's at the point in his career where he will be better as a change of pace in the last half hour at a top flight club.

Nicko, I dont usually ask direct questions on the board, but as you're the man in the know :mellow:

Big Sam is due back from his hols tomorrow ? Do you see a rash (if thats the right word) of transfer bids, starting with Davies ? If that fails, who do you reckon is next on his list (or, indeed, is there more than one striker on his list ?). Can we have a 'runners and riders' list as we stand at the moment ?

Thanks

Accyrover

Its hard to see where Gallagher would fit in? Maybe play behind the target man as understudy for McCarthy? Sort of where Okacha played in his time at Bolton.

-----------------Davies (for arguments sake...)

--Pedersen---Gallagher-----Diouf

---------Warnock------Reid

Givet----Nelsen----Samba--Emerton

--------------Robinson

Its the only way I could see him get the space he needs. Clever player but absolutely no physical presence or pace at all...

Big Sam is due back from his hols tomorrow ? Do you see a rash (if thats the right word) of transfer bids, starting with Davies ? If that fails, who do you reckon is next on his list (or, indeed, is there more than one striker on his list ?). Can we have a 'runners and riders' list as we stand at the moment ?

I think Sam will demand a proper bid is made for Davies rather than an inquiry...right now there is only one runner and rider...even if some reckon he is a donkey. ;)

Gallacher to get chance was the LET billboard headline today

That probably tells me about their lack of stories more than Gally's chances of a game...

Guest benmaxwell
I was amazed Pompy let him go when he did, he was scoring for fun, can only think something about his character was a problem! But would that kind of player fit into Sams plans?

Wasn't their a ton of doubt about Benjani's knee or something just before he joined Man City?

The vast majority of sites and papers today seem to be linking us with Peter Crouch...? Also, i think Darren Bent is in talks with Sunderland over a £10 million move at the moment.

It all seems to be kicking off...

I read today that Liverpool are justifying paying such a large transfer fee to Portsmouth for Glen Johnson because of the impending UEFA rules on home-grown players.

I can't remember the exact rules, but I was wondering if this may have a bearing on Sam's dealings this summer? May help explain Davies anyway.

I read today that Liverpool are justifying paying such a large transfer fee to Portsmouth for Glen Johnson because of the impending UEFA rules on home-grown players.

I can't remember the exact rules, but I was wondering if this may have a bearing on Sam's dealings this summer? May help explain Davies anyway.

The glass if half full, europe here we come!

Guest benmaxwell

That rule wont be introduced for another 2-3 years. By which time Davies will be retired anyway.

I don't think there is...I liked him a lot, but since his injury problems he has gone back an awful long way.

No comparison whatsoever with Davies.

Nicko,

Out of interest - what sort of money would it take to get Benjani? Citeh only paid 3.75m for him, and he has arguably dropped in value since that time. What sort of wages would he be on?

Not sure if I agree with your contention that Davies is a more effective player. Was definitely better last season, but there is no reason that Benjani couldn't come back strongly from his injury problems (thigh muscle issues, if i recall correctly? unlikely to be career threatening...)

Anyway, even if Davies is a more effective target man, if he is going to cost 6m+, then I would think that Benjani could represent a better value proposition. He could do a job, and would leave more money to strengthen other areas of our squad that desperately need reinforcement (ie. centre midfield).

Nicko,

Out of interest - what sort of money would it take to get Benjani? Citeh only paid 3.75m for him, and he has arguably dropped in value since that time. What sort of wages would he be on?

Not sure if I agree with your contention that Davies is a more effective player. Was definitely better last season, but there is no reason that Benjani couldn't come back strongly from his injury problems (thigh muscle issues, if i recall correctly? unlikely to be career threatening...)

Anyway, even if Davies is a more effective target man, if he is going to cost 6m+, then I would think that Benjani could represent a better value proposition. He could do a job, and would leave more money to strengthen other areas of our squad that desperately need reinforcement (ie. centre midfield).

Benjani a year ago would have been worth a punt, but I have seen him twice in City's stiffs since he came back and he is now slower than a week in Strangeways.

Avoid.

Archived