BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Is it only strikers who score goals? Its more a concerned that our midfielders are not contributing much to help out our strikers. We did well when Pedersen, Tugay, Reid and Dunn were getting their fair share of goals.

It would be nice for our midfielders to chip in with goals, but most of those players you mentioned have serious question marks over them. Dunny and Reidy- can we keep them on the pitch and off the treatment table, Pedersen- shadow of the player he once was, Diouf- never really scored a lot especially not in recent times.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about this for a team?

Robinson - ****/Emerton if fit, Samba, Nelsen, Givet - Diouf or Emerton if fit, *****, Warnock or Rothen, Pedersen - Davies, Di Santo.

That lets Dunn and Reid get ready, leaves Grella on the bench and Roberts on the bench. McCarthy can go if you ask me.

Cracking defence if you get a right back...Strong midfield if you find a 'real' general...Big and tasty strike force.

Nicko, I agree with you on Davies. I think we should go for him, just not pay over the odds.

Crouch would be too expensive (£10 Mill + ?) and want a big salary. I cant think of any other forwards who are viable targets just yet. If Janko was that good he'd have been snapped up already.

How much do you reckon we'll bid for Davies, and how far apart would we be on Boltons valuation ? :blink:

Cheers

Accyrover

Goalscorers last season:

McCarthy 10 [inc penalties] - Roberts 7 - Andrews and Santa Cruz 4 - Warnock 3 - Derbyshire, Ooijer and Samba 2 - Diouf, Dunn, Emerton, Nelsen, Pedersen, Tugay 1.

Pretty thin. The strike pairing I was talking about of Davies and Di Santo could get 20 between them. The other strikers can chip in with 10 between them at some stage. Midfield needs to get more, with Diouf [who isn't a scorer as I warned] and Pedersen needing to step up their game. However both would benefit from a target man who sets people up and could be good for 8 -10 between them. Defenders should account for 5 - 8 which is within range of their talents.

So that could be 43 - 48. Small improvement but enough to push you four places or so up the table with a good defence behind them.

Guest benmaxwell
Is it only strikers who score goals? Its more a concerned that our midfielders are not contributing much to help out our strikers. We did well when Pedersen, Tugay, Reid and Dunn were getting their fair share of goals.

Brett Emerton - 190 games for Rovers - Scored 9

David Dunn - Games 57 - Scored 2

Grella - Games 19 - Scored 0

Gamst - Games 159 - Scored 24 - Special mention in 2 season's he has scored 5 goals only

Reid - Games 109 - Scored 6 - Special mention injury worry

Andrews - Games 34 - Scored 4

El Hadji Diouf - Games 14 - Scored 1

= 582 combined games - Goals scored 46 :blink:

Goalscorers last season:

McCarthy 10 [inc penalties] - Roberts 7 - Andrews and Santa Cruz 4 - Warnock 3 - Derbyshire, Ooijer and Samba 2 - Diouf, Dunn, Emerton, Nelsen, Pedersen, Tugay 1.

Pretty thin. The strike pairing I was talking about of Davies and Di Santo could get 20 between them. The other strikers can chip in with 10 between them at some stage. Midfield needs to get more, with Diouf [who isn't a scorer as I warned] and Pedersen needing to step up their game. However both would benefit from a target man who sets people up and could be good for 8 -10 between them. Defenders should account for 5 - 8 which is within range of their talents.

So that could be 43 - 48. Small improvement but enough to push you four places or so up the table with a good defence behind them.

Yes, that's if we want to be scraping relegation again. I would rather have my eyes set on 8-12 again personally.

Davies scored 12 last season which is the first time he had past 10 goals, his norm is 6. Di Santo has scored none, so how you can pluck 20 out the air is beyond me?

Nicko, are any of these still on our radar?

Civelli TALKING TO EVERTON

Muhammadi POOR

Seiterides MAYBE A TRIAL IF THEY DON'T FIND BETTER

Shikabala SEE ABOVE

Zaki PLEASE, NO

Mbia EXPENSIVE AND SUPPOSED TO BE GOING TO MARSEILLE NOW

Mbami FREE AGENT...NO-ONE IN A RUSH THERE

Luis Garcia PLEASE, NO

Maxi Rodriguez NEED TO ROB A BANK

Crouch NEED TO ROB TWO BANKS

Bent NEED TO ROB THREE BANKS

I'LL GET MY MASK

It's a big ask to rely on Di Santo getting many goals, at the moment his statistics read 0 goals at this level.

Of course it is, but there are about six or seven Prem clubs keen to take that gamble. He's a goodie.

Brett Emerton - 190 games for Rovers - Scored 9

David Dunn - Games 57 - Scored 2

Grella - Games 19 - Scored 0

Gamst - Games 159 - Scored 24 - Special mention in 2 season's he has scored 5 goals only

Reid - Games 109 - Scored 6 - Special mention injury worry

Andrews - Games 34 - Scored 4

El Hadji Diouf - Games 14 - Scored 1

= 582 combined games - Goals scored 46 :blink:

Whose to say Pedersen (or anyone else for that matter) can't recapture their goal scoring form?

and if you say "well he hasn't scored much in 2 years" i'll point you in the direction of Davies who hadn't scored many a season till the one just past

What about this for a team?

Robinson - ****/Emerton if fit, Samba, Nelsen, Givet - Diouf or Emerton if fit, *****, Warnock or Rothen, Pedersen - Davies, Di Santo.

That lets Dunn and Reid get ready, leaves Grella on the bench and Roberts on the bench. McCarthy can go if you ask me.

Cracking defence if you get a right back...Strong midfield if you find a 'real' general...Big and tasty strike force.

One problem with that team, is is macarthy is allowed to go - having already sold 2 strikers - and bringing in Davies - is a shortage of strikers. Interesting I would alos consider selling Macarthy- but would need a high profile player to rplace him.

What about Elfsborg's Swede Anders Svensson, a playmaker in the swedish national team, 32 years old but a great passer.

Emir Bajrami is also an interesting midfelder. Plays for Swedish under 21 and is playing for fun at the moment!

Guest benmaxwell
Whose to say Pedersen (or anyone else for that matter) can't recapture their goal scoring form?

and if you say "well he hasn't scored much in 2 years" i'll point you in the direction of Davies who hadn't scored many a season till the one just past

But we can't go into the season hoping players will beat the odds can we.

To survive in this league, we need someone who can get those goals for us. I know people will point in the direction of Cruz not being a big goal scorer, but at the time, we had Bentley providing Benni with goals, and before him Bellamy. Benni isn't what he was, and Davies can't come in for sure, and replicate the 12 goals a season.

We need a bona fide goalscorer like Ismael Bangoura (again thanks Unleaded quality suggestion!)

Of course it is, but there are about six or seven Prem clubs keen to take that gamble. He's a goodie.

People forget on here that RSC was an injury prone, hardly scoring player, not experienced prem, who came to rovers and was sold for £20 million. That was a risk in my view, but one that paid off very well.

Do you really think this player - di santo will be coming to rovers

neophox: No way, Anders has grown a lot since he left Southampton but he's still incredibly overrated. Can't handle the physical side of the game. Rasmus Elm, Viktor Elm, Rasmus Lindgren all better swedes in the same position imo. Rasmus Elm would be a great signing methinks and not at all impossible since he's still at Kalmar.

Rasmus Lindgren was linked to Newcastle in january for £2.5m, dunno if it was tosh or what but he might also be a good signing for us. Perhaps he's too similar to Grella in playing style though.

Sorry to push this off topic a little bit but what the hell happened to Freddy Adu?! He was meant to be the next big star on the planet. He came over to England with the US youth team and was in devastating form. I think he even got a hat-trick against our youth team. Despite him being quite small in height, he had the build of a little rhino at one point.

Obviously I know he isn't linked with Blackburn but can Nicko or anyone else maybe have any information on what went wrong with his over hyped potential career?

Sorry to push this off topic a little bit but what the hell happened to Freddy Adu?! He was meant to be the next big star on the planet. He came over to England with the US youth team and was in devastating form. I think he even got a hat-trick against our youth team. Despite him being quite small in height, he had the build of a little rhino at one point.

Obviously I know he isn't linked with Blackburn but can Nicko or anyone else maybe have any information on what went wrong with his over hyped potential career?

Over-hype.

Classis case of a brilliant youngster, plenty of re-sale value, but NO proof that he would ever be a player.

neophox: No way, Anders has grown a lot since he left Southampton but he's still incredibly overrated. Can't handle the physical side of the game. Rasmus Elm, Viktor Elm, Rasmus Lindgren all better swedes in the same position imo. Rasmus Elm would be a great signing methinks and not at all impossible since he's still at Kalmar.

Rasmus Lindgren was linked to Newcastle in january for £2.5m, dunno if it was tosh or what but he might also be a good signing for us. Perhaps he's too similar to Grella in playing style though.

Put to Rovers a month ago, they watched him and think he lacks strength.

I take it Nicko won't answer this, but maybe someone else can - why isn't he naming our midfield target? Because of the reactions to Kevin Davies (in other words, it's not a player most of us will be excited about), or because... well, why?

I really hope the Di Santo deal goes through, because I would not be all that pleased to see Diouf, Davies, MGP as our attacking three - if 4-3-3 is Big Sam's formation next year??

I'm having problems sorting these players out to be honest. Is Grella and Rothen our central midfield pairing? Where will Big Sam play Givet and Warnock - both players clearly good enough to start all matches, but they both play best at left back.

An experimental 4-3-3:

Robinson

Emerton, Samba, Nelsen, Givet

Rothen, Grella, Warnock

Davies, Di Santo, Gamst Pedersen

McCarthy, Roberts, Dunn, Diouf, Doran, Reid, Andrews + [Olsson, Judge, Doran, Treacy - loan out?]

add a new midfielder to that, a new right back and probably one or two more... who knows?

But we can't go into the season hoping players will beat the odds can we.

To survive in this league, we need someone who can get those goals for us. I know people will point in the direction of Cruz not being a big goal scorer, but at the time, we had Bentley providing Benni with goals, and before him Bellamy. Benni isn't what he was, and Davies can't come in for sure, and replicate the 12 goals a season.

We need a bona fide goalscorer like Ismael Bangoura (again thanks Unleaded quality suggestion!)

there's no certainty anyone can come into a team and start scoring goals, there's risks with everyone.

look at berbatov, he was crackin them in for spurs, now he's considered dog sh*t and lazy...or is that because he's a year older now :rolleyes:

also, look at robbie keane as an example

Cheers nicko.

Shame, I think Elm can buff up... He's only 21. The reason he might lack strength is because a few years ago he found out he's gluten intolerant and had to change his diet.

Not too unlike Morten in the strength department, about the same height aswell I think. He has a great range of passing, a good shot and works hard.

Archived