BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you see Sam playing three up top?

I could to be honest, 451 switching to a 433. Not convinced Donavan could play wide in a four but with a full back and a central midfielder there to cover he could be quite useful.

Sam played 451 and 442 last year so its not that far fetched but probably not. Personally I think its how I would set us out, can be a serious attacking formation with good coaching.

Nicko, is Beattie a back-up?? Stoke are supposedly in for Ashton, perhaps he's available??

The 3 club rule is just a mystery Mr Nixon. Wasnt Pedersen linked with us, United and i think Villa. And we were saying he will never join us, and well the rest is history.

I could to be honest, 451 switching to a 433. Not convinced Donavan could play wide in a four but with a full back and a central midfielder there to cover he could be quite useful.

Sam played 451 and 442 last year so its not that far fetched but probably not. Personally I think its how I would set us out, can be a serious attacking formation with good coaching.

I could see us playing with a big target man (like Davies) and El Hadj and MGP on either side of a 3 up top or or a 5 man midfield with the two players mentioned on the wings, Grella in the middle and two versatile midfield players with him (at the moment Reid and Dunn)

The 3 club rule is just a mystery Mr Nixon. Wasnt Pedersen linked with us, United and i think Villa. And we were saying he will never join us, and well the rest is history.

Whenever you see a club or agent mentioning three clubs in the same story it usually means one wants the player, the other is thinking about it and the third is just a wee makie-uppie.

In this case Tottenham are having a laugh if they think they can get that much money for the Honey Monster.

Dean Ashton would be a bloody brilliant signing if his injuries aren't terrible. I know his first serious one was a broken ankle - that isn't something which usually returns (like a cruciate knee/hamstring injury). He then had a full season before being injured again for this one - what kept him out this time?

I honestly think he'd be worth the gamble, I'd definitely take him ahead of Davies - especially if we get Di Santo on loan as competition.

Edit: Seems it was an ankle injury again this time, maybe that shatters my recurring chance theory. It's usually knees that cause players to be very injury prone though, can't say I remember another player being kept out by persistent ankle problems.

So who is the 1℅ that dont think they know better? Is that you 67 or is it Nicko, or maybe its JW or Lee. This is a message board for the fans, and obviously we dont know everything. I suggest we dont post and dont moan, maybe we should discuss recipes or the next pies at Ewood.

Anyway back on topic. I might have missed it, but who are the 3 clubs in for Huddlestone? And is Reid going with the team on pre season?

Yep, I'm certainly part of that 1%, as to the rest you'll have to ask them.

"maybe we should discuss recipes or the next pies at Ewood" probably better in the Blues bar topic. ;)

Lighten up.

From what I remember though, it was a pretty horrific ankle injury. Ashton came out a few times and said that it would never be quite the same again and that he would have to work to keep it strong the rest of his career. There were rumours doing the rounds at the time that he might be forced to retire.

He was a cracking player prior to injury though, would be great to see him perform to those heights again.

Dean Ashton would be a bloody brilliant signing if his injuries aren't terrible. I know his first serious one was a broken ankle - that isn't something which usually returns (like a cruciate knee/hamstring injury). He then had a full season before being injured again for this one - what kept him out this time?

I honestly think he'd be worth the gamble, I'd definitely take him ahead of Davies - especially if we get Di Santo on loan as competition.

Edit: Seems it was an ankle injury again this time, maybe that shatters my recurring chance theory. It's usually knees that cause players to be very injury prone though, can't say I remember another player being kept out by persistent ankle problems.

Wiki says sprained ankle, but Soccerbase says he hasn't played since September. Strange situation.

I can only imagine he must have some serious issues if West Ham are willing to sell, he's a cracking player when fit.

Stoke City HAVE spoken to Michael Owen. They would take him to play with Beattie or Fuller [who is a very under-rated player but would never pass a medical].

But the Ashton thing is just p1sh.

Any comments to make on news that the Stoke City chairman is currently in talks to sign Ashton?

Ashton to Stoke?

Whilst Ashton is a very good player, we cant afford to gamble on him, his fitness, fee or wages!!

Much too risky!!

Any comments to make on news that the Stoke City chairman is currently in talks to sign Ashton?

Ashton to Stoke?

Pulis rang West Ham a month ago to ask about Ashton...he was told about his £50,000-a-week wages and informed that he wouldn't even be fit for the start of the new season...Hammers also said that they wanted to keep him as he was 'really a £10 million plus striker.'

For some reason the story has surfaced this week...I know who leaked it and it is rather odd to say the least.

Coates confirmed the call by Pulis, but it is a dead duck. Has been for a month.

Venerable Scribe, if Lescott goes to City, how safe are we holding on to Samba.

Whilst you were in NY, Kenwright was spotted at Ewood.

Like the venerable bit...but isn't that a disease?

Saw the Kenwright line, checked it out, had it laughed off.

Samba seems quite settled just now but it would be a concern. Everton are bringing in Civellie for talks but he plays on the other side, so there could still be a hole in their team if Lescott goes. There is nothing to worry about yet, but we are only in late June.

Apparently we after Ghana star Haminu Draman.

Blackburn and Stoke chasing Haminu Draman.

Do you see anything in this Nicko or is it just a player who tells that he is available?

The name was doing the rounds this morning. Checked his CV which can only be described as 'strange' and the picture would suggest that if he is actually 23 he had a taxing paper round back home in Ghana.

True the manager has to decide.. but look at our clubs amazing manager history when it comes to buying players..

Dalglish for the most part got it right.. Hughes the same on the whole.. but even experienced managers/coaches like Souness, Hodgeson and co brought in some bank bustlingly bad guys.. :( Grabbie and Davies to name but two.. then they land themselves with Ince and his amazing bunch of signings that actually had people laughing at us :(

This is revisionist... as i recall, ppl were chuffed at the prospect of Davies coming in from Southampton. Many parallets were drawn:

young shearer

from same club

same bull in a china shop style

to list just three. The kid had much promise and it just didn't work out for a variety of reasons which most ppl now know. I'm not related to him nor am I advocating that he should return (hardly)--- just don't lump him w/ the turd that was Grabbi--- that's all.

The name was doing the rounds this morning. Checked his CV which can only be described as 'strange' and the picture would suggest that if he is actually 23 he had a taxing paper round back home in Ghana.

He might be a gem. He is in the Ghana national team who are decent, but so was Annan.

Archived