BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Maybe it was him..........Maybe he was out getting a haircut...........Maybe he likes a bakery nearby............Maybe he's been out all night driving around listening to his entire Michael Jackson collection...........

If you were to see Gerald Jackson standing in line with Sir Alex at the local coffee shoppe later this afternoon would it mean we were making a bid for Rooney? <_<

Interestingly I used to teach gerald's son, Michael.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you will find the Fletcher thing is wrong. Hibs want £4 million. They won't get it. And other clubs will pay decent fees for him. I don't think he is near the top of your lost at the moment.

No idea on Davies's whereabouts.

£4m's a lot for someone getting a goal every 4 games (games against Kilmarnock, Gretna, Inverness, etc.)

Just watched an interview with Sam on SSN.

As suspected he says he's got some but not all of the RSC transfer to spend on players. He's stated that a striker is his first priority but interestingly enough he said that if he has to spend all of the cash on ONE striker providing he's the right man then "so be it".

I could be way off but it sounds to me as if he's still got crouch on his mind.

He was quoted being a long time admirer of Cordoza and also tried signign him before at Bolton.

I think he might refer to this guy!

He was appointed in June and should at least, being decent midfielder himself seen the problems we had in that area, indeed, the problems started in pre season and some of the appalling results against micky mouse sides in Austria etc.

I know pre seson is all about fitness and preparation but both results and performances were very poor!!

He had the whole of July and august to address the problem and didnt, as a boss yourself, the secret is to put good people around you, he didnt, his backroom staff were inadequate and the midfield dynamo (Andrews, despite his efforts) he signed was never going to boss midfield in the premiership as technically was not up to the standard premiership football demands!!

I definitely agree with your second point concerning backroom staff.

I think Ince will realise now just what a hash he made of that. It's also part and parcel of losing the dressing room because they were just not up to it IMO. However on the rest of the post, sorry still have problems with his being beaten up on transfer outcomes.

Only new thing for me to add is that he had no shopping list of 'top' players when he arrived because he never needed to look for them when in the lower leagues, hence Carlos arriving because he said to the agent I want something that looks like one of these please. Plus the scouting network wasn't in the best of conditions post Hughes was it, so fighting a bit with his hands tied behind his back there. Plus he had a finite budget, if he had spent it on a midfielder who you approved of, and it didn't work out for whatever reason, he would have been slaughtered. A policy of seeing what you have, seeing what you can/cannot improve, before deciding on what you have to ship out/purchase makes sense to me. Hughes left a squad that needed improving but not one that was going to get us into serious difficulties before xmas. Waiting for a second transfer window under all the above circumstances makes sense, well to me at least. He was walking the highwire without a safety net and daren't put a foot wrong so he held back. Maybe his ego wasn't so big after all else he may have taken the plunge (mixed metaphor intended).

Ince was hopeless for us, wrong time and definitely wrong place for him, but I feel he will come good at some point. In the meantime cut him some slack, he screwed up on a lot but on transfers I don't think so.

As suspected he says he's got some but not all of the RSC transfer to spend on players. He's stated that a striker is his first priority but interestingly enough he said that if he has to spend all of the cash on ONE striker providing he's the right man then "so be it".

That's a lot of pressure on our midfield (or more to the point, our physios) if we don't strengthen it further.

I know he's our captain but isn't Ryan Nelsen on 60k a week or something?

8M NZ = £3.2m a year sterling....or 60k a week.

I know that story says it was last updated at the beginning of the year but I'm almost sure the story of him being on NZ$8M are well over a year old. Then when you bare in mind that the £ has fallen a fair bit in that time then it's possible that he's on less. :mellow:

That's a lot of pressure on our midfield (or more to the point, our physios) if we don't strengthen it further.

Indeed - and that's what perturbed me slightly. He said it's now just a case of going down his list in priority order and getting the best man he can for the best price. He's clearly finalised his short list though who's on it we can only speculate.

Sam Sky interview quite interesting. Looks like he is in 'I'll do it my way' mode.

1 - stressed that the club needed to sell [interesting].

2 - that he has to get strikers in and would pay for the privilege [who can he mean?]

I think the air will be crackling for a while at the club.

Mind you, he might have changed out of his pyjamas.

Lots of clubs write into contracts that the wage will drop by a certain % in the case of relegation. Whether Tuncay has that or not I do not know, but it's possible.

I completely understand that, if Boro didn't put that in his contract, they have to pay his wages if he stays. My point is that it's also possible he wouldn't be happy playing at that level and would take a drop in wages to move back to the Premier League. None of the clubs that could afford £65k seem to have any interest in him.

The fact that the likes of Duff, Barton, Smith, Martins et al however, have all come out and pledged allegiance to Newcastle, rather than take a pay cut to play at a higher level, suggests that the majority of professional footballers are ruled by their egos and inflated bank balances rather than their hearts.

Nicko do you know if Victoria Beckham will be happy shopping at Lidl and poundstretcher in town?

;-P

Not that I think Beckham would ever sign for us but good grief how many times - DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY OF OUR PLAYERS OR THEIR WIVES SHOP IN BLACKBURN TOWN CENTRE OR LIVE IN THE TOWN CENTRE?? NO, NO, NO.

Some of these posts are outrageous - Yes, in all likelihood you may have seen Kevin Davies in darwen. But seeing as he plays for Bolton he maybe visiting someone in the area. Isn't Darwen just up the road from Bolton?????? Get a grip.

Rant over.

Sam Sky interview quite interesting. Looks like he is in 'I'll do it my way' mode.

2 - that he has to get strikers in and would pay for the privilege [who can he mean?]

I think that will be his "comfortable shirt" that he flew back in. Tell you what though he looked tired and wasted - hope that was just jet lag.

My money still says crouch is number one or number 2 on the list. I must also declare I've never been wrong yet*

*This being my first post in the transfer thread - find all the speculating pointless (although I do read the "11 oclockers" with interest) but I think things are about to start getting tasty.

My money still says crouch is number one or number 2 on the list. I must also declare I've never been wrong yet*

Crouch's fee is too big, his wages are too big and his ego is too big...his shirt may be too big too.

There has been a lot of speculation over potential strikers, but not much about any potential midfield 'generals' - any thoughts Nicko?

One of your replies to me earlier was that yes we have lost Santa/Derbs but they didn't do much for us last year anyway - and with us losing Tugay/Axe in the middle (and having a lot of injuries there) do you not think we could/should spend big on a brilliant midfielder and get a cheaper striker+Dos Santos in?

There has been a lot of speculation over potential strikers, but not much about any potential midfield 'generals' - any thoughts Nicko?

One of your replies to me earlier was that yes we have lost Santa/Derbs but they didn't do much for us last year anyway - and with us losing Tugay/Axe in the middle (and having a lot of injuries there) do you not think we could/should spend big on a brilliant midfielder and get a cheaper striker+Dos Santos in?

Having seen Sam on the telly and hearing what has been going on for the past week or so I would say that Priority 1 is a striker and Priority 2 is another striker...Di Santo should be one of those and we all know about the other.

I would suggest the quality of the midfielder you sign will be down to the cost of the striker you land.

I missed it nicko, did he say that he needed to sell in reference to RCS and Derbs or did he hint that more sales are on the way?

Point number 2 is probably just to settle the unrest a little bit that RSC and Derbs has gone and nobody has come in, at least he is saying the problem has been identified and that he is prepared to pay decent money for someone and not just a free signing. It'll be interesting to see who we get, I think some people are right that Crouch could have been first option but probably never even made the shortlist due to the fees involved, BFS has quickly moved on to Davies so I guess we'll see if the fees are right here, if not then I guess it's on to plan C or Mr ABCSelect+Start

I missed it nicko, did he say that he needed to sell in reference to RCS and Derbs or did he hint that more sales are on the way?

Point number 2 is probably just to settle the unrest a little bit that RSC and Derbs has gone and nobody has come in, at least he is saying the problem has been identified and that he is prepared to pay decent money for someone and not just a free signing. It'll be interesting to see who we get, I think some people are right that Crouch could have been first option but probably never even made the shortlist due to the fees involved, BFS has quickly moved on to Davies so I guess we'll see if the fees are right here, if not then I guess it's on to plan C or Mr ABCSelect+Start

He was suggesting the club 'had to get some money in' which I think referred to their present financial position and future.

He is DEFINITELY chasing a striker above all else. It's not talk, that is reality.

Anyway, see for yourself. Comfortable shirt? He was back yesterday...that's pyjamas.

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,237...5402161,00.html

Continue to sell? May that imply that the likes of Warnock could be made available?

Archived