BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thing is...I don't think anyone would go near those wages. They were inflated when he signed because he came on a bosman, so Boro upped his wages because there was no transfer fee (see: Sol Campbell). I honestly think there's a good chance he'll take a fairly substantial drop because no-one will be willing to pay that when a fairly hefty transfer fee is involved too.

I'm not sure why you keep throwing re-sale value into your posts as if it's a stupid idea. I posted a direct comment from Wenger talking about it. Ferguson thinks the same. We've got even less money to spend than those two so it should be even more important to us.

It's because he cannot justify it so he has to try to ridicule it.

It's because he cannot justify it so he has to try to ridicule it.

Tell you what, inform the manager that not only does he have to find a top striker for a reasonable fee and sensible wages...but he also has to be worth more in 2012.

Tell you what, inform the manager that not only does he have to find a top striker for a reasonable fee and sensible wages...but he also has to be worth more in 2012.

In an ideal world, yes, sign players with future resale values, unfortunately the world is not ideal and in the real world today, who can be sure, whichever player you sign, would have a resale value??

Look at Spurs, they signed so call name players for huge fees and are set to lose a packet by selling them, look at Newcastle with Owen, how much will they lose?? Its a pretty narrow line and I think as a club, we have to look at next season, if we are looking at profitability from players, spend some cash on Youth development, Campbell at Man U is being hawked at £6,000,000 and I dont think he will break any records next year, we got Bentley for just over the million plus the sell on fee, so Derbs has netted us £3,000,000 plus sell ons but how are we or the club to know if three years down the line he will be worth 3,6 or 1 million!!! Fact is we dont.

So in Rovers case, we have just sold a player for £18,000,000 cleared the bank overdraft I think and money to replace him and two or three other players.

As a club, we are trading well, Burnley will go down the same route and unlike Leeds and Southampton, we will survive by being careful and prudent with our cash.

In business, the wage bill should be around 55% of turnover, 80% is excessive but that is what premiership players earn and as Nicko says, they aint gonna come for £30k per week if they can get £60k somewhere else, its a no brainer!!

It would help if he was still capable of playing in 2012.

I'm afraid I don't have the manager's ear. Maybe you could do it for me!

So we sign a 22 year old striker for 5mill, and hope to sell him for 25mill in 3 or 4 years time. Does it work like that? I dont think so, because you never sure if that youngster will be any good when you sign him. Can we afford to take such risks? Again, dont think we can. We need players who will keep us in the league for the next 3 or 4 years at the very least.

You're making that sound a lot more difficult that it is. Just stick a max age of 28 on the signing and that should ensure we get money back when they leave club. They don't have to increase in value, it's a bonus if they do, but the club HAS to get something back when they leave so that they can be replaced.

Let me put it this way - let's say Hughes had spent our £4 million on a 32 year old a few years back instead of Roque, how would we be going about replacing them this summer?

You're making that sound a lot more difficult that it is. Just stick a max age of 28 on the signing and that should ensure we get money back when they leave club. They don't have to increase in value, it's a bonus if they do, but the club HAS to get something back when they leave so that they can be replaced.

Let me put it this way - let's say Hughes had spent our £4 million on a 32 year old a few years back instead of Roque, how would we be going about replacing them this summer?

It is difficult. That is the reality. That is why a lot of hair is currently being put out. Placing daft handicaps on signings players does not help.

As for the Roque thing...I will pass on that because that wasn't what happened in the real world either.

NOBODY at the club is trying to place these unreal restrictions on the striker signing. So why waste time gassing about it here?

If you buy a striker for say£6,000,000 he will want a minimum of £50k per week, Crouch wants £70k but lets take £50k as an example, without tax and NHI contributions is £2,500,000 per year or £10,000,000 in four years.

Total outlay is then £16,000,000 plus NHI and taxes which would be substantial on that salary.

As Nicko is trying to say, spend £5,000,000 say on Davies and wages of £35,000 per week which equates to only £7,280,000

over four years, plus the £5,000,000 trnsfer fee = £12,280,000 as opposed to £16,000,000 therefore over a four year period

has saved us £3,720,000. His actual cost in transfer fees to the club as opposed to the names we are banding about is only £1,280,000 plus wages!! and this would fall within the clubs budget, allowing some money to be spent to strengthen other areas of the squad!!

I saw Becks in one of his last games for AC MILAN.

What an absolutely fantastic passer of the ball!

Bentley's foot is nowhere near Becks's. I would be thrilled if we signed him.

The problem is:

1. if you stick someone tight on Becks (which is a certainty in the Prem), his lack of pace

and inability to 'separate' from his man nearly nullifies his fantastic passing.

2. Even if we overlook that bit, he's so publicity/merchandising concisous that he'll always chose the likes of Spurs over a proper club like us. :angry:

So we sign a 22 year old striker for 5mill, and hope to sell him for 25mill in 3 or 4 years time. Does it work like that? I dont think so, because you never sure if that youngster will be any good when you sign him. Can we afford to take such risks? Again, dont think we can. We need players who will keep us in the league for the next 3 or 4 years at the very least.

Why go in so high? The aim from players is to make money, whether that be through places in the league/cup success or through transfer fees.

If we were to outlay £5m on a 22 year old and they left in 2 years having not been a success they would still have some value.

Buying a 32 year old for the same price and your money disappears very quickly.

You then have to replace them with what money you have available, something we aren't good at making apart from through transfers.

Buying a good young player is not a risk, well not a risk in terms of ability everything is football is a risk, buying an older player is a risk because after they are shot you have no abiltiy to replace them with anyone to keep us in the league. Any older player has to be good, Davies has scored 46 goals in 210 league apps, during the most prolific time in his career. He is not that good!

If you buy a striker for say£6,000,000 he will want a minimum of £50k per week, Crouch wants £70k but lets take £50k as an example, without tax and NHI contributions is £2,500,000 per year or £10,000,000 in four years.

Total outlay is then £16,000,000 plus NHI and taxes which would be substantial on that salary.

As Nicko is trying to say, spend £5,000,000 say on Davies and wages of £35,000 per week which equates to only £7,280,000

over four years, plus the £5,000,000 trnsfer fee = £12,280,000 as opposed to £16,000,000 therefore over a four year period

has saved us £3,720,000. His actual cost in transfer fees to the club as opposed to the names we are banding about is only £1,280,000 plus wages!! and this would fall within the clubs budget, allowing some money to be spent to strengthen other areas of the squad!!

I too tried to get the very same point across about 50 pages ago.

I think that possibly it is the player rather than the principle that most have a problem with.

NOBODY at the club is trying to place these unreal restrictions on the striker signing. So why waste time gassing about it here?

Why is it unrealistic? We've been managing it for the past 10 years. We've never shelled out large amounts of money on a 32 year old striker. Hughes managed to do it, if Sam can't then he's not right for us.

Kelbo, I'm not ignoring your sums, I just don't see the point in discussing that part of it. Nobody has answered how we'd be finding a new striker this summer if we'd signed a 32 year old instead of Roque. The answer is we couldn't, and it's the situation we'd face in two years time if £5 million was spent on Davies.

Why go in so high? The aim from players is to make money, whether that be through places in the league/cup success or through transfer fees.

If we were to outlay £5m on a 22 year old and they left in 2 years having not been a success they would still have some value.

Buying a 32 year old for the same price and your money disappears very quickly.

You then have to replace them with what money you have available, something we aren't good at making apart from through transfers.

Buying a good young player is not a risk, well not a risk in terms of ability everything is football is a risk, buying an older player is a risk because after they are shot you have no abiltiy to replace them with anyone to keep us in the league. Any older player has to be good, Davies has scored 46 goals in 210 league apps, during the most prolific time in his career. He is not that good!

As a striker I agree he is not, as a target man, excellent, there isnt one better playing in British football, they are two entirely different roles and as we saw with Samba last year, you dont have to score goals yourself, the physical nuisance factor, creates them for others and with the proper midfield would definately increase their goal ratio dramatically!!

Gary Speed scored loads for Bolton picking up the spoils from Davies!!

Why is it unrealistic? We've been managing it for the past 10 years. We've never shelled out large amounts of money on a 32 year old striker. Hughes managed to do it, if Sam can't then he's not right for us.

I give up.

I give up.

Thing you have to realise it is going to be difficult to convince us that something we did three seasons in a row is virtually impossible. It is harder, takes more work, but that is why Allardyce gets those nice payslips in the mail each month.

Not that I think Beckham would ever sign for us but good grief how many times - DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY OF OUR PLAYERS OR THEIR WIVES SHOP IN BLACKBURN TOWN CENTRE OR LIVE IN THE TOWN CENTRE?? NO, NO, NO.

Some of these posts are outrageous - Yes, in all likelihood you may have seen Kevin Davies in darwen. But seeing as he plays for Bolton he maybe visiting someone in the area. Isn't Darwen just up the road from Bolton?????? Get a grip.

Rant over.

Erm lol...

Are you not good with sarcasm or something Rover95?

Archived