BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

The window hasn't even opened yet Mr. E.

Hasn't it been opened since the 1st of June in England?

And nonetheless, we can't afford to buy someone a few weeks before the first matchday and wait for him to settle in for half a year. We need the new players (if we'll get such a thing) to start gelling in now.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more than happy with Sam so far - he's not panicked, he's not giving anything away (as soon as a player is mentioned in the press the fee goes up).He's already signed Givet who we know is the real deal and and a free South African.

Looks like a steady hand at the helm to me. I can't think of many managers I'd rather have to deal in the transfer market with the funds we have.

Keep it up Big Fella because it's crunch time from here on in.

I give up.

I wouldn`t give up just yet Nicko, rather I would stop trying to justify your opinions as there is no need, as some are valid to some people on here, and the others generate resentment - never going to get both sides of the coin face up :-)

Davies would be a top target man no doubt, and the argument about re-sale value is tosh and isn`t that important- we shouldn`t be aiming to capture all our "new recruits" with re sale value in mind, but we should be aiming to capture the right targets, at the right price, for the next 1-2 seasons.

What counter acts the re-sale debate and what do you replace them with, is the fact that the management should be planning the further seasons developmetn of the team as a project, a piece of work and you plan well in advance for strikers, or any player leaving, or retiring on what you know in the present.

To put in simpler terms, if Davies signs, the manager should already be planning for when he will retire / leave and have a contingency based on a situation where Davie`s resale value is significantly lower than the fee paid to recruit him.

For what its worth, when Nicko mentioned Davies, I was very hesitant and not over impressed, however the idea has warmed on me, and i trust Sam as i have no reason not too at this stage, however, I will not be too impressed if we fork out anything over 3.5 million for him !

And nonetheless, we can't afford to buy someone a few weeks before the first matchday and wait for him to settle in for half a year. We need the new players (if we'll get such a thing) to start gelling in now.

People aren't back from their holidays yet. Things will pick up soon enough, and with luck we will get some good players in.

The debate about no re-sell value on ceratin players is laughable. It's not as if John Williams and Big Sam aren't aware, or are going to buy an old boy for the sake of it just to screw ourselves over.

This time next year Big Sam could be gone, Kevin Davies could be in the England Squad over Heskey after a great season, and Rovers could have just been taken over by Abi Boo Boo.

You gotta plan for the future yes, but thats what are academy was supposed to do and thats gone tits up.

In the words of Slim Shady ''live for the moment''

PS - David Beckham to Rovers, not a chance in hell

If we buy Davies and he bangs it in 10-12 in average over the next 3 seasons, and that makes 2-3 spots difference a year in the table. Wouldnt you then have earned the money from tv trough our league position?

What i mean is, you know Davies would fit SA's profile and that he is good for those 10-12 goals a season. Spend 5mill£ on another striker and you wouldn’t be assured the same. Sure you could maybe sell him for 5mill£+- again 3 years later. But you might have lost that already trough a lower league position.

Not saying that I’m jumping up and down of joy when the name Davies is mentioned. But I don’t think its going to ruin the club finalcially if we wont be able to sell Davies in 3 years.

Btw. If we got Di Santo on loan, would we have a chance on signing him after the season? sorry if this has already been asked.

Btw. If we got Di Santo on loan, would we have a chance on signing him after the season? sorry if this has already been asked.

Chelsea's plan is loan to him and then get him back ready for the first-team. In the current climate it is ideal.

I dread to think what the mood would be if that one falls through in the next few weeks...

Why is it unrealistic? We've been managing it for the past 10 years. We've never shelled out large amounts of money on a 32 year old striker. Hughes managed to do it, if Sam can't then he's not right for us.

Kelbo, I'm not ignoring your sums, I just don't see the point in discussing that part of it. Nobody has answered how we'd be finding a new striker this summer if we'd signed a 32 year old instead of Roque. The answer is we couldn't, and it's the situation we'd face in two years time if £5 million was spent on Davies.

This is exactly what I've been trying to argue.

And the way Nicko is bigging up Davies, you'd think he were a world beater!

Sam Sky interview quite interesting. Looks like he is in 'I'll do it my way' mode.

1 - stressed that the club needed to sell [interesting].

2 - that he has to get strikers in and would pay for the privilege [who can he mean?]

I think the air will be crackling for a while at the club.

Mind you, he might have changed out of his pyjamas.

He also said he is relying on the scouting system Paul Ince had set-up a year ago :unsure:

Not saying that I’m jumping up and down of joy when the name Davies is mentioned. But I don’t think its going to ruin the club finalcially if we wont be able to sell Davies in 3 years.

Exactly, and it wont. The only thing i can see killing the club is £200 season tickets, but we love them so its okay.

The resale point is stupid imo.

If Davies bags us ten goals, and gets assists and plays a vital role for us helping our team finish 8th say, then isn't that making money?

IF.

And IF we buy a 28 year old and he is 30 in 2 seasons and IF he bags 10 goals etc. is that not twice as good?

Who wants to watch Davies for two seasons anyway?

No, 1st of July.

IF.

And IF we buy a 28 year old and he is 30 in 2 seasons and IF he bags 10 goals etc. is that not twice as good?

Who wants to watch Davies for two seasons anyway?

That is a valid point but I cannot see a 28 year old target man around for £5 million who is capable of scoring 10+ goals in the PL and wants about £30K in wages.

When Tuncay is available for £5 million plus £65K wages this is the mammoth size of the task. I think Hughes himself mentioned that it was getting to be nearly impossible to pick up the Samba bargains.

Can we afford to pay £5 million pounds for a talented BUT unproven youngster like Johnson at Boro? We have to target low risk especially in the most important position in a Big Sam side- the target man, if he gets that wrong we are in trouble. So I am thinking exactly the same as I was when we signed a 31 year old Welshman for £3.5 million- we get two good years out of him and the price will be irrelevant if we secure a high league position- which is what we did!

I may be wrong but I thought an agreement can be made but the player isn't officially a member of that team until 1st July.

Sorry to sound stupid, but in the case of Givet should that signing not have taken place on 1st July as well? I know he was on loan here, but how did that work?

The window opens as soon as the league has finished.

It doesn't, it opens July 1st. Teams just make deals before then though and they officially go through when the window opens.

I'm not sure why such a big deal is being made about what is really a technicality.

Archived