BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

nicko, aside from the financial aspect, would Davies even consider coming back here? He had a miserable time here, and won't be a popular signing. If we were to spent the main part of the budget on him, the pressure on him to deliver would almost be the same as last time I really can't see him up for it.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says who?

There's no guarantee of a sell on value with anyone tcj. All they need to do is run down their contract.

On top of that, where do we find these players who we can magically transform into profit, without taking a big risk on unknowns?

But at least you will get 4 years from them. Do you reckon Davies has more than 2 seasons in him? Don't forget we already have an aging strike force as well. McCarthy turns 32 this year and Roberts is 31.

The trouble is that Rovers fans have been spoilt over the last few seasons by making regular bargain signings in the striker department and then selling on for a profit: Bellamy could have gone for more had it not been for a low-ish release clause, Santa Cruz turned a very healthy profit, and one year after Belly McCarthy signed he was being linked with a £10m move to Chelsea.

All of the above were Sparky signings. Sparky is no longer our manager. Any resale is a bonus.

That said I'd still rather not pay anything close to what Bolton think Davies is worth for a 32 year old. It just doesn't feel right.

Davies is very hard to do...the price is way too much.

As he is a dying breed it makes alternatives thin on the ground.

Davies at £5 million is worth a punt, but Davies at £10 million is just plain silly.

Just like thinking Ruud would come of half or third wages won't happen...

So it's a toughie.

Barton is happy to be picking up his wages at Newcastle and wants to earn them next season. If they ever get round to finding an owner and a manager we shall see how that progresses.

Nolan is on monster money and Hull want him but need the Toon to subsidise the deal.

Right now there won't be any money set aside for a midfielder.

It's a striker [or two] first.

Wow, just goes to show just how much trouble Toon are in.

i wouldn't go walking the streets of newcassel if I was barton.

Wow, just goes to show just how much trouble Toon are in.

i wouldn't go walking the streets of newcassel if I was barton.

Newcastle were happy to take Barton two years ago. It's not his fault Sam and Freddy Shepherd, who bought him, were squeezed out by Mike Ashley.

I know who I blame for that mess - and it ain't wee Joey.

Newcastle were happy to take Barton two years ago. It's not his fault Sam and Freddy Shepherd, who bought him, were squeezed out by Mike Ashley.

I know who I blame for that mess - and it ain't wee Joey.

Yeah its Mike Ashleys fault 'wee Joey' battered some teenagers outside a MacDonalds. Have a word.

Ashley is obviously a muppet but Barton is a lunatic.

Yeah its Mike Ashleys fault 'wee Joey' battered some teenagers outside a MacDonalds. Have a word.

Ashley is obviously a muppet but Barton is a lunatic.

Well matched then.

Barton was foolish to do what he did, but I don't think it is the main cause of what has happened at that club in the last two years.

He didn't sack Sam, install Keegan, think Joe Kinnear was the answer or that Dennis Wise would find some players from his Home Counties base, go weeks without a manager in charge, sign a handful of no-use nuggets and then get Alan Shearer and master tactician Iain Dowie in for the hopeless cause.

I think that was down to someone else.

Mr Maxwell had a very very similar writing style and an even more similar IP to a previously banned member.

We'll just leave it at that.

The return of Vinjay? Lol.

Nicko any news on a right back? I know a striker is number 1 priority,but right back should be as well.

Barton was foolish to do what he did...

"Foolish"?

Six months in prison, assault and actual bodily harm on a team-mate, stubbing out a cigar in the eye of another, running over pedestrians, attacking fans, not to mention his trademark horror-tackle-and-red-card in every game he's played for the past two years. It's not like he's Cantona; there's no reason for a club to put up with any of that behaviour.

Supporting the potential signing of Davies is one thing Nicko - but Joey Barton is utterly indefensible.

That would be "£10m Ajax target Berg" then? Too much, too young. Babel and Rigters looked good at a U21 tournament too.

Wasn't going by his U21 performance, which haven't hampered his already sterling reputation. Very good player, great awareness about him for a younger player, never mind his impressive goalscoring record.

Only hope would be a loan with a view, more realistic than some of the other names being banded around by some people.

i love the fact that the article makes it sound like vieri wants to come and wants to prove himself.....as hopefully he'd accept a pittance wage on a monthly contract just so he can say he had a crack at the premiership. Not saying for one minute hes the answer or anything like that but even at 36 and even if only for the sake of him getting 30 minutes in a match i'd love to see the fella in a rovers shirt. Very similar to the fowler scenario but for some reason possibly the fact that i've fond memories of the guy being completely unplayable ala stoichkov in his day i'd love this to happen just so it has a chance even if its only 1 in a 100 of working. fowler was a blob when he arrived and had been for several years, vieri may have no pace left but given the fact he'd cost nowt i'm sure the fella could still be lethal from set pieces and i'd imagine has more skill and technique than davies when it comes to holding the ball up.

sign gigac, janko or whoever for bucketloads obviously as 1st choice strikers..........i could assure the chairman however that if a minor gamble after a trial was taken on vieri was taken i for one would get the legends name on the back of my shirt.(away shirt obviously, still getting tugay on all home shirts until we eventually sign someone else worthy of the honour...certainly no one in the current squad who's name i'd want on the back of my shirt, bar samba but its iffy if he'll be here come august in my mind)

Slightly early - but I have an Al Stewart CD to listen to...

ROVERS - a bit more on the Davies thing in the morning, but basically what you know already about the £10 million asking price...I will keep the possible striker option until later just in case it gets cut out.

YOUR DINGLE MATES - have bid for Marcus Tudgay at Sheff Wed as well as Fletcher at Hibs...Coyley wants things done fast...seems to enjoy having money to spend for a change.

WEE MICHAEL OWEN - would probably be going to Everton I think...said no to a big deal at Hull and the Goodison mob think they are getting him...all the best.

That's about it I think.

Re-sale value is important to the club, but you CANNOT let it be a handicap on your current chase for a striker.

Winning games, putting out a strong team and staying in the Premier League are the three most important factors.

I totally agree with that Nicko. We seem to be too concerned with finding the absolutely perfect striker. To be honest, i'd prefer BS to take a gamble on a front man and spend the rest of the money around the squad where we need it. For example, RB, CM, LM competition, etc. We should really be looking at moulding players into top quality strikers rather than just focusing on buying the finished article. It's what we have to do with our financial position.

Staying in the premiership is the main priority and if we can do that with old players who manage to complete the task then wonderful, we're all happy.

Archived