BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

But at least you will get 4 years from them. Do you reckon Davies has more than 2 seasons in him? Don't forget we already have an aging strike force as well. McCarthy turns 32 this year and Roberts is 31.

If the player is what you want and you have the money to buy him, then buy him. Whoever it is and whatever it costs. No use buying someone who's not going to cut it at the level required, just in the "hope" that he makes it, doesn't run down his contract - and we make a bit of money. All this talk of us having to sign cheapies and sell 'em at a profit is fine, but those players aren't easy to come by. There will be more losses than gains going down that route exclusively.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if michael owen (age 29 on a free transfer) ....

if RVN (age 33 £1.5m transfer fee and lets be honest similar wages to owen ) .......

so is re-sale value an issue?

I'd suggest not. Look at Tugay - came to us at 30 I think it was (30/31 at any rate). We then spent the next 7/8 years saying how we wished he was ten years younger. And then followed that up by saying that if he was ten years younger he'd be playing for Real or Man U. Became a legend at BRFC.

If we can get someone in at 31/32/33 years of age with something to prove then why not? Someone who wants to play at the World Cup but didn't get picked for the Confederations Cup perhaps? Oh, hang on...

Step up to the plate Benni.

Also see below.

Classic example is Andy Cole-cost around £7 million, won us a cup and saved us from relegation (You know what I mean) and let go on a free. Good signing still.

I think we need to recognise where we are at this moment in time. Whilst I like the idea of going out and buying a young(er) striker at top dollar we'll be back to the blue and white revolving door before we know it, if he does do the business we'll have the constant speculation of when he'll be off for "ambition" / they play in London.

Not only that but I can't think of any who we can afford! Anyone half decent is £15m+.

Can we gamble on the next RSC? Injury prone, quality, but has hardly played for a few years? (I'd take RVN by the way - can't see it mind) I don't remember anyone on here doing cartwheels when he signed for us and didn't we breath a sign of relief when we cashed in? Let City worry about his knees - they can afford to.

Too much, too young.

Anyone catch The Specials on tele last night? They were superb. Goes to show doesn't it, even at their age they can still do a fantastic job. There's a tenuous link to the thread there I reckon.

Anyway, Enjoy Yourself, it's later than you think.

While I'm waffling...

Just to go off at a complete tangent - we have enough midfielders on the books - Reid, Dunn, Grella, Bert, Keith, Warnock - they can all play in there. The fact 3 of them are coming back from opps is neither here nor there - they still need paying and need to be given a chance - we can't just pay them up. Despite how unlikely it may sound, and how much certain posters will tell you that they're finished, a fully fit Reid and Dunn would form a fantastic midfield IMO.

I digress... Davies at £10m. Not an option then - unless he throws his toys out the pram.

I digress... Davies at £10m. Not an option then - unless he throws his toys out the pram.

Yeah, keeping on that point, if Davies threw his toys out of the pram, could we get a cheaper deal? I believe BS would go for him at five million if that could be arranged. With player power never being as high, would Bolton cash in if he wanted to leave?? Interesting.....

Anyone catch The Specials on tele last night? They were superb. Goes to show doesn't it, even at their age they can still do a fantastic job. There's a tenuous link to the thread there I reckon.

they were awful

i like them but they had no energy at all

i thought they were gonna have heart attacks

embarrassing

Still people talking about resale values?

STOP IT AND SHUT UP

I'd suggest not. Look at Tugay - came to us at 30 I think it was (30/31 at any rate). We then spent the next 7/8 years saying how we wished he was ten years younger. And then followed that up by saying that if he was ten years younger he'd be playing for Real or Man U. Became a legend at BRFC.

If we can get someone in at 31/32/33 years of age with something to prove then why not? Someone who wants to play at the World Cup but didn't get picked for the Confederations Cup perhaps? Oh, hang on...

Step up to the plate Benni.

no . you've missed the point , IF resale value is such an issue , why is a 33 year old striker with an history of injury problems who would cost 1.5m + 50 or 60 grand a week , a more viable option than a 29 year old striker with a history of injury problems available on a free transfer who would command roughly the same salary?

ROVERS - a bit more on the Davies thing in the morning, but basically what you know already about the £10 million asking price...I will keep the possible striker option until later just in case it gets cut out.

10m for Davies? Blimey! You'd have thought we'd have learned from his first stint at Rovers. There is no way that the pie eater is 1/2 the player that RSC is. Keep away if you ask he. Bolton must be laughing their heads off if they are able to shift him for that price! Just think of all the pies you could buy with that kind of money Kevin!

they were awful

i like them but they had no energy at all

i thought they were gonna have heart attacks

embarrassing

Well I thought they were good anyway! Fair enough!

Anyway, back to the "woe is me" transfer thread. G'Night.

Whoever the 'Grate' Man signs will have the best season of their lives.

It is written.

Give it a rest. This is a Blackburn Rovers board.

Sounds like Sam is prepared to blow most if not all the budget on a striker if the right one becomes available. Not a decision I would personally make after years of it being blatantly obvious that our midfield isn't up to scratch, but he's the manager and he will live or die by his decisions (career wise obviously).

After the news in the LT that Dunny, Reidy and Emerton are looking like being fit for pre-season its looking like Sam is going to take a huge gamble on them keeping fit.

Seen a bit of Gignac and would be very, very happy to see him come to the club. 23 years old (potential resale value) and will become a real star if he fulfils his huge potential. £10 million is a lot i know but in the long term it could be a bargain.

Don't forget 3.5M of Sam's budget has already gone on Givet. Incidently, has Sam a budget of 20M or 16.5M? 13M (as per the LT) + Givet money + 3.5M for Derbyshire=20M. Or is it 13M left full-stop? If it is 20M that sounds great until you realise that without the Santa Cruz sale he would have had almost nothing!

If we're going to "gamble" on a forward, then certainly Gignac or Cardozo would be some of the better options. Personally I thought £5m was about £2.5m too much for Davies and being quoted £10m for him isn't just crazy, it makes Gartside look like H.A.L. but without the charm and looks.

Don't forget 3.5M of Sam's budget has already gone on Givet. Incidently, has Sam a budget of 20M or 16.5M? 13M (as per the LT) + Givet money + 3.5M for Derbyshire=20M. Or is it 13M left full-stop? If it is 20M that sounds great until you realise that without the Santa Cruz sale he would have had almost nothing!

i do believe that the £3+ million we spent on givet was already agreed last season and i beleive it was part off last seasons transfer money !! but in a way you could say that we had £16.5 million to spend this summer but £3 million off that had already been put away for givet. someone please correct me if im wrong

Would those ITK think these wages are about right.

Just trying to get a feel for what Sam may have to play with.

RSC......50k

Vogal....25k

Ooijer....30k

Tugay....35k

Matty....25k

Axe.......25k

Simpson 20k

Carlos....15k

Givet.....40k

Van H....20k

saving of around 8.5m a year

i do believe that the £3+ million we spent on givet was already agreed last season and i beleive it was part off last seasons transfer money !! but in a way you could say that we had £16.5 million to spend this summer but £3 million off that had already been put away for givet. someone please correct me if im wrong

...+....The money JW said had been put to one side for Carlos???????????? think that was in the LET.

Dunno how accurate but I heard that the transfer money for EHD was not paid in Jan but was due this month. So that might be another chunk out of RSC's fee.

Archived