SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Good news as far as I'm concerned, he needs to wrok on his final ball but on Sunday he played some nice ones, his one for the first goal was class and he linked up brilliantly with Pedersen I think it was when he had that header.

He is not the finished article but he does have the talent to become one. Good news from what I have seen of him but I'd wager his agent/dad has struck a hard present (and future) bargain. Unfortunately we took our eye off the ball and allowed them to gain the upper hand.

At the moment its his judgement that's letting him down. He doesn't know when to hold up play or take a man on or when to release it. In fact, once he has the bit between his teeth I don't think he even looks up! The result is that he loses possession too often and sets us up for a counter-attack.

But the pace and talent are there and experience should bring the rest. Good luck to him, a good news story.

He is not the finished article but he does have the talent to become one. Good news from what I have seen of him but I'd wager his agent/dad has struck a hard present (and future) bargain. Unfortunately we took our eye off the ball and allowed them to gain the upper hand.

How have they gotten the upper hand? we wanted him to sign a new deal immediately after he rejoined from Germany, i fail to see how we took our eye of the ball.

How have they gotten the upper hand? we wanted him to sign a new deal immediately after he rejoined from Germany, i fail to see how we took our eye of the ball.

He's been stalling since then, not us. It's looking like we shouldn't have sent him to St Pauli in the first place. I'd wager we don't send anyone else.

Didnt he need to go for his work permit?

Yes. He wouldn't have got a work permit here two years ago - seemed to be a hard enough fight to get him one this time around.

He's been stalling since then, not us. It's looking like we shouldn't have sent him to St Pauli in the first place. I'd wager we don't send anyone else.

He did become a little bit of a star over in St Pauli, I know a couple of thier fans and they both love him.

Anyway, he's signed now. We should be happy.

Mind bogglingly naive post from frog here. Totally invalidates everything he has spouted about immigration policies as he shows he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Love and kisses

Gunner

Obviously good work by Sam but it also highlights another aspect of the story and that is that players are happy to sign for him therefore they believe in him and what he's trying to achieve.

Every signing is a vote.

With backing today from King Kenny and others before him surely it's time to leave the stale debate behind about how good Sam is/isn't and whether he's right for us. Results, signings, league position, positive commentary from legends surely it's time to put that one to bed.

The future's bright(er), get out of the pubs and armchairs and get down to Ewood and add you support to everyone elses (waggy?)

yay for the potential money we'll get from selling him when he finally decides he's too good for us, which will have us discussing who we'll sign instead, before finding out it won't be used for transfers, prompting a debate about what the Trustees are doing and how they need that money to "balance out more books", and how we should just be happy to be surviving in the premiership.

yay for the potential money we'll get from selling him when he finally decides he's too good for us, which will have us discussing who we'll sign instead, before finding out it won't be used for transfers, prompting a debate about what the Trustees are doing and how they need that money to "balance out more books", and how we should just be happy to be surviving in the premiership.

haha i'll get the rope

• 2 months later...

A small article on Canada's desire to have Junior play for the national team...the article seems to point fingers at Rovers which is a bit silly. Honestly, there isn't much to be gained playing for Canada these days other than learning to dodge projectiles thrown during games against various central american clubs...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/canada-coach-keeps-dialogue-open-with-young-blackburn-prospect/article1555680/

{Link doesn't seem to work...here the story}

Canadian men’s head coach Stephen Hart has been working night and day to assemble the best possible squad to face Argentina on May 24, in Buenos Aires.

According to reports, Hart is facing resistance from several players, who are said to be nervous about facing a Lionel Messi-lead Argentine squad prior to it leaving for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

If that is the case, what chance does Canada have as a football nation?

(Perhaps it is better for Hart to know now which players he can count on before Canada starts its World Cup qualifying campaign in a couple of years time.)

The situation highlights the agonizing difficulties of being a national team football coach in Canada.

On the one hand, players grieve about poor facilities, travel, field surfaces, few preparation games et al and then, low and behold, the Canadian football Association moves mountains to improve the situation and then another wrinkle appears. Now, some players become frightened at the prospect of playing at a standard of international competition which they would have to play anyway if they were to qualify for the World Cup tournament.

It begs the question: What is the point in qualifying for a World Cup if you’re not prepared to do well once you get there?

What it should magnify is the character of the players that do wear the Maple Leaf. They should be the ones we focus our attention on and who we support – even if some of them do whinge a bit too much about all and sundry.

On a positive note, Hart has been keeping dialogue open with 19-year-old David Hoilett, who has had a terrific season with Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League. The stumbling blocks appear to be Blackburn, which is not overly keen on the youngster making any international commitments at this stage, and the choice the Hoilett family has to make between Jamaica and Canada.

Surely, if it comes down to the latter decision – choosing between the two countries – Canada can win the debate/battle/struggle to win the young player’s commitment. At some point as a football nation, Canada has to stop the drain of players who have a choice of one country over another. Hoilett’s family lives in Canada and he was born here (in Ottawa). Surely, that is enough. The day it is, is the day we begin to move forward.

Meanwhile, Hart is trying to get Hoilett to be a part of the Canadian squad for the Argentina encounter. It is the right move, but it would still not guarantee his full commitment to playing for Canada in the future.

International Association Football Federation (FIFA) laws now mandate the commitment to one country is only assured once a player has played in a game of an official competition, such as an Olympic or World Cup qualifying match.

Nevertheless, having Hoilett playing for Canada against Argentina would be a good start. We wish Hart well in winning this particular battle.

It will be interesting to see how Hoilett progresses next season. He's got a nice touch of pace, but hopefully he'll have more game time next season to work on his end product and bravery going forward.

• 1 month later...

I for one was very happy when Junior extended his stay at Ewood and signed a new contract. I do however still feel that BFS doesn't know where is best position is just yet :(

I have a friend who used to play at roevrs with him in same team for over a year and he inticates junior sees himself as a striker and does any1 else feel he could be the same as Defoe? I now its very early but same sort of size and style both are very direct - The only problem with junior does seem to be his decision making???

However if he can improve on this I feel 2010 will be a massive season for him and within a year or so could be 1 of our main strikers.

Thanks.

I have a friend who used to play at roevrs with him in same team for over a year and he inticates junior sees himself as a striker and does any1 else feel he could be the same as Defoe? I now its very early but same sort of size and style both are very direct - The only problem with junior does seem to be his decision making???

However if he can improve on this I feel 2010 will be a massive season for him and within a year or so could be 1 of our main strikers.

Thanks.

I'm also pleased Hoilett has signed a new deal, and like a lot of younger players next season will be a massive one for him. Hoilett has the pace to get forward but lacks the initiative to take on his man. I'd recommend giving him as many games as possible next season to develop that confidence, instead of the odd appearance here and there. I could see him playing off a target man, but if Sam sticks to the current format there's zero chance of that happening.

Archived