BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

Hoilett was great today. got alot of pace, direct, takes players on and good dribble. just got to improve his final ball and He will become a great player!

WE NEED TO GET HIM TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ASAP! FIVE YEARS DEAL! HOILETT AND JONES ARE THE FOR ROVERS!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoilett was great today. got alot of pace, direct, takes players on and good dribble. just got to improve his final ball and He will become a great player!

WE NEED TO GET HIM TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ASAP! FIVE YEARS DEAL! HOILETT AND JONES ARE THE FOR ROVERS!

I disagree about his final ball - it was very good today. Nzonzi and Mame should have scored from his crosses, Samba did.

I am sure he has been offered a contract but he now knows he is going to be courted by the big guns. I can't see him signing on to be honest - he only barely did last time, and for a short deal, when he was nothing more than a decent prospect.

A real shame if he does go as in Jones, Hoilett and to a lesser extent Olsson we have a new set of crown jewels.

Say what you will, Hoilett has been a different player since Sam got the boot.

Probably because he's actually been given a run in the side.

Got to give him a new contract. Got to.

How's the entertainment now Sam's gone Topman? You still haven't answered that one.

As for Hoilett, he's been improving for quite a while now. He always had exceptional talent as I said since first watching him. I really don't know how anyone can judge these things when they don't go to games.

How's the entertainment now Sam's gone Topman? You still haven't answered that one.

You obviously can't take a hint, pops.

As for Hoilett, he's been improving for quite a while now. He always had exceptional talent as I said since first watching him. I really don't know how anyone can judge these things when they don't go to games.

Hoilett's 'talent' was getting wasted with 10-15minute cameos, usually when we were chasing the game.

Since he's been given a regular run in the side, he's had the chance to prove himself.

• Backroom

Losing Hoilett will be particulary painful if we go down, he'll be off without a doubt and we wont even get a huge amount for him. Not that it would make a difference as I imagine everything we get in will go into someone's pocket.

Say what you will, Hoilett has been a different player since Sam got the boot.

Probably because he's actually been given a run in the side.

He's the same player he always was, but with an extended run in the side and well-built to handle himself on a regular basis in a top league.

He's the same player he always was, but with an extended run in the side and well-built to handle himself on a regular basis in a top league.

When Hoilett was constantly overlooked by Sam, a lot of people said 'if he was good enough, he'd play' etc etc. And many of us simply said he needed a run in the side (like Aaron Lennon) to prove himself.

Lo and behold, he got exactly that and has started fulfilling his potential.

Yes, credit to Kean for bringing Hoilet into the side.

I think he's a class player, his distribution will improve, especially when we get him back on the right so he's on his best foot.

Does need to improve his shooting though, seems to slice it a lot, he could've had 2 or 3 on saturday,

I really do think Ollson is as good if not better all round player when he plays on the left wing.

A midfield of Junior - J Jones - P Jones - Ollson would be good, and 3 of them are our own youngsters coming through!

I really do think Ollson is as good if not better all round player when he plays on the left wing.

Don't really know why you think this. Hoilett can take a fullback any way he likes, inside or outside, and do it consistently. The combination of pace, turning speed and close control makes him close to unplayable.

Olsson on the other hand has only really got one tactic to beat a man and that is to out run him. Admittedly he is ridiculously fast so it is not a bad plan, but still more often than not man on man Olsson will lose the ball or be forced to play it back if the defender gets his basic defending right.

I like Martin a lot but he is nowhere near the class of Hoilett. His delivery is decent and improving, he works very hard, and his shooting is very good. But he finds it hard to get in critical areas because his approach is predictable and he doesn't have any tricks.

• Backroom

People criticise Junior's finishing but the one he hit over near the end on Saturday was actually a pretty poor knockdown by Santa Cruz as it was just nehind Hoilett's run. His 2 goals against West Brom and Fulham were superb finishes along with his goal against QPR.

When Hoilett was constantly overlooked by Sam, a lot of people said 'if he was good enough, he'd play' etc etc. And many of us simply said he needed a run in the side (like Aaron Lennon) to prove himself.

Lo and behold, he got exactly that and has started fulfilling his potential.

How many posts have you made about this now?

Is this the last bastion for bashing Allardyce now that it's blatantly obvious we need his style of play to get results?

I watch the reserves a bit and whilst BS was in charge I always championed Hoilett, and only a couple of others on here did...the rest didn't have any time for him really..."bad decision making" etc....He is without doubt our best player and to say Olsson is a better player is just plain crazy. We have players who can do Olssons job, we have no other player in the entire squad that can do what Hoilett can.

Hoilett is by far the best attacking player on the books. We need somebody who can find enough space to get on to the end of his little bye line crosses. Too often they finish up going to defenders because there is no one in position to tap them home.

I watch the reserves a bit and whilst BS was in charge I always championed Hoilett, and only a couple of others on here did...the rest didn't have any time for him really..."bad decision making" etc....He is without doubt our best player and to say Olsson is a better player is just plain crazy. We have players who can do Olssons job, we have no other player in the entire squad that can do what Hoilett can.

Correct Sparky. Hoilett has always had something special about him. Good, close control, quick over the first few yards and quick feet.

For Topman to use this lad to continue bashing Allardyce is just wrong. Yes, he's become more of a regular now, but he was 19 years old when he was breaking into the side under Allardyce, so he was never going to cement a first team place on a permanent basis immediately. Sam went out to Canada in order to get Junior to sign his present contract. Let's see if Kean can persuade him to sign another one.

Anyone else remember the days when we had Windy Miller on the right wing and Noel Brotherston on the left wing. Combination of out and out pace on one wing and trickery on the other. Could Olsson and Hoillett be our modern day equivalents (though on opposite wings) ?

Also be interesting to make them swap wings - Olsson has a fearsome left foot - and cutting in from the right could be effective at times.

Is this the last bastion for bashing Allardyce now that it's blatantly obvious we need his style of play to get results?

For Topman to use this lad to continue bashing Allardyce is just wrong.

"Sam bashing" - Pointing out any weak-points of the previous manager, no matter how valid they may be.

Yes, he's become more of a regular now, but he was 19 years old when he was breaking into the side under Allardyce, so he was never going to cement a first team place on a permanent basis immediately.

Funny, because Aaron Lennon was the same age.

Just face it, Sam didn't give Hoilett a look-in, when the guy was clearly ready for a run in the side.

Sam went out to Canada in order to get Junior to sign his present contract. Let's see if Kean can persuade him to sign another one.

So what? He still wasted the guy's potential leaving him on the bench week in, week out.

Archived