BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He appeared in TWENTY THREE league games under Sam the previous season. That's over half, hardly just the "odd 15 minute cameo".

Before Sam got sacked he'd appeared in a further ten league games upto that point, again he'd made in appearance in over half of the games under Sam then.

;) point proven.

Hoillett was also looked at in training aswell. He appeared in TWENTY THREE league games under Sam the previous season. That's over half, hardly just the "odd 15 minute cameo".

Before Sam got sacked he'd appeared in a further ten league games upto that point, again he'd made in appearance in over half of the games under Sam then. Plenty of playing time.

How many times did he start the game under Sam?

How many did he start the game under Sam?

Not sure, I'm sure more of them were sub appearances. But soccerbase lists his overall stats as 20 starts and 22 sub apps for Rovers in the league in total. I'm guessing he's probably made no more than ten league starts under Kean, so maybe around ten of them were starts?

Either way, even if they were sub appearances last season Sam gave more game time to Hoilett than one would expect of a 19 year old playing his first season at the top level. And one would expect him to make more of an impact if he was upto it as pacy players often work best as impact players. But he offered precious little last season. I'm sure Sam saw plenty of talent but decided he wasn't quite ready for regular first team starts yet which was a fair call.

I've only just seen this.

Is it any wonder the fans are getting disillusioned? Kean is either thick, or he's lying. Take your choice because i don't like either of them.

I've only just seen this.

Is it any wonder the fans are getting disillusioned? Kean is either thick, or he's lying. Take your choice because i don't like either of them.

I'm thinking the latter. He's hardly the most charismatic but you can tell he's reasonably switched on so I don't think he's thick. He constantly tries to pull the blinkers over our eyes though. I know Managers do it to some extent but Kean takes the biscuit.

The sooner this fool and Jensen leave our club the better. Have we won a match with our dream management combo yet btw?

If Junior wont commit to a new contract, surely the best course of action would be to keep it away from the press, rather than advertise the fact that he's still available to other clubs.

That's if you want to keep him.

How low-key were the deals for Roberts, Nelsen, & Salgado?

If Junior wont commit to a new contract, surely the best course of action would be to keep it away from the press, rather than advertise the fact that he's still available to other clubs.

It's almost certain that he would have signed at the drop of a hat in Jan..

Now, he realises where we are heading and how good he is!

Just p1ss poor management, IMO, and what we now expect.

Never mind, we will have Myles Anderson.

• Backroom

It's almost certain that he would have signed at the drop of a hat in Jan..

Now, he realises where we are heading and how good he is!

Just p1ss poor management, IMO, and what we now expect.

Never mind, we will have Myles Anderson.

It's not almost certain at all, I would guess there were early talks but he wasn't overly keen so they left it for the time being.

Didn't Hoilett faf around with his previous contract extension too? For a while there was talk of him wanting to go back to Germany to play for Bayern, Dortmund etc (in his dreams!) before he did then sign for us.

I do hope we keep him. He is infuriating at times, but he's one of the few we have with any kind of pace!

I thought Sam went to Canada to speak with Juniors dad? or something along those lines.

Doesn't matter what league we are in next year the whole bloody point of our supposed leaders was to bring through kids. Now we run the risk of losing him as other clubs circle and yet others who we should really have been moving on in the summer get extensions.

Chicken Oriental.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I'm glad we have got to see the real junior for half a season but it will be painful to see him elsewhere next season whilst we may well be a division below.

My theory: We've stretched the wage budget with our new deals (and players like Roque on our books) that until people leave in the summer we can't give Hoilett a new deal.

Considering that Hoilett probably wouldnt be getting much more than a 20,000 per week pay rise, and we have the money to spunk £3.5 million on Formica, that theory doesn't hold much water.

Not signing up Hoilett to a long term contract would potentially be far more costly.

My theory: We've stretched the wage budget with our new deals (and players like Roque on our books) that until people leave in the summer we can't give Hoilett a new deal.

Daft theory.

It's fairly obvious to me that he's stalling. I doubt very much that he'll sign any new contract. Hope I'm wrong.

It's not that daft a theory.

We were already running a large wage budget and when you factor in Formica's, Rochina's, Jones's and Roque's wages to the mix it could be possible that a new deal for Hoilett wasn't on the cards yet until some deadwood is shifted. Roberts and Nelsen both got new deals, unlikely they got a raise but you can't rule it out when they were displaying 'loyalty' during a tricky period. Samba and Jones also received a new deals that will have put their wages up, especially Jones.

I'm not ruling out that Hoilett has been offered a new deal or that he is stalling on one, we don't know. All we do know is that it looks likely he's gone at the end of the season for a small fee because of either relegation or clubs being alerted to his excellent form.

I wouldn't bet against the idea that Rovers did offer Junior a new contract and he his, wisely with his dad's advice, biding his time...

Why would he sign now? He had options last time when he signed, he'll have options again. No use for him playing in championship:(

Whatever he decides, hope he gets fit soon he coild well be the difference between the two divisions.

Archived