BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

Think people need to be realistic with Hoilett – 40k a week for a young lad, who has just turned 21 is MASSIVE!! It’s probably double his current wage, and it gives him the opportunity to carry on playing in the top league for the next 4-5 years.

40k pw is indeed massive and is massively ludicrous for any footballer. But if you want to put a diferent slant on it you'd better ask Phil Jones what he's on.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really no……It says he was unsettled as not getting opportunites, however now thanks to Kean he has many opportunities and he has told Canadian Radio he is happy to sign a new deal for us (Believed to be 5 years on offer) and that Kean has played a massive part in settling him again by giving him chances.

Kean has told his Dad the vision of Venkys and also how Junior is a big part of that future.

But TGM and others said Kean made a conscious decision not to sign him up and was the reason he was going to leave.

I always said it was likely that Hoilett wouldn't sign and Kean was just protecting him from the fans in an attempt to get the best out of him.

What do I know eh?

You mean yes he did....

not that I care as long as Junior signs another deal - as he did with Sam :lol:

From his comments it seems unlikely that he would be signing anything if Sam was still in charge.

From his comments it seems unlikely that he would be signing anything if Sam was still in charge.

Sam flew out to Canada and got his signature and gave him his chances in the first team. 27 appearances as a 19 year old I think it was. Showed lots of promise all the way through, especially at the beginning of last season.

Kean can thank his lucky stars we had Hoilett performing so well, because otherwise he'd have taken us down.

Sam flew out to Canada and got his signature and gave him his chances in the first team. 27 appearances as a 19 year old I think it was. Showed lots of promise all the way through, especially at the beginning of last season.

Kean can thank his lucky stars we had Hoilett performing so well, because otherwise he'd have taken us down.

Then this part must be made up:

Hoilett, 21, is grateful to Kean for giving him his chance when he took over as boss after becoming frustrated by his lack of opportunities under Sam Allardyce.

Most of his appearances under Sam seemed to be as a sub, while under Kean he was starting more regularly.

Hoilett was frustrated by his lack of action under Sam............whether he was justified in this is beside the point - he was unhappy and likely to seek pastures new. Maybe we should be thanking our lucky stars that Kean had the courage to persevere with the lad? Because he did, we saw the emergence of one of the most exciting players for many a long while.............and yes, you're right he probably kept us up too.

Maybe we should be thanking our lucky stars that Kean had the courage to persevere with the lad?

Wouldn't you persevere with someone who is exceptionally talented?

Most of his appearances under Sam seemed to be as a sub, while under Kean he was starting more regularly.

So what? 19 year olds in their first season in the Premier League don't often go straight into the first team and start every game. Nothing unusual in that at all. In fact, it's to be praised. Don't see any problem with that approach. Would you suggest the next 19 year old to get a game in the first team starts the game and stays there all season, no matter how he performs?

I hope I would have the bottle. Kean did, Sam didn't.

You would play the next 19 year old from the start - and start him every game afterwards, no matter how well, or otherwise, he played? Of course you wouldn't. That seems to be the suggestion though, from some of the Sam haters.

Sam gradually blooding David was good man management; he would have made the breakthrough sooner or later with the quality he possesses.

It's similar to Phil Jones - a few people criticised Sam for playing Jones in a defensive midfield role, when he was clearly exposing Phil to first team football, in a less volatile environment in terms of making mistakes and confidence building and allowed him to learn how to play from a different perspective.

It undoubtedly made Jones a better player, just as David's slow introduction to the first team has benefitted him.

You would play the next 19 year old from the start - and start him every game afterwards, no matter how well, or otherwise, he played? Of course you wouldn't. That seems to be the suggestion though, from some of the Sam haters.

Missing the point. You make it sound like he was happy under Sam and going to stay, reporters who've spoken to him or his advisers say the opposite.

And even within the same season, Kean gave him more starts, while Sam mostly used him off of the bench. I'd argue that one of the things allowing Kean to give him more starts was shipping out EHD, a favourite of Sam's.

• Backroom

Sam gradually blooding David was good man management; he would have made the breakthrough sooner or later with the quality he possesses.

It's similar to Phil Jones - a few people criticised Sam for playing Jones in a defensive midfield role, when he was clearly exposing Phil to first team football, in a less volatile environment in terms of making mistakes and confidence building and allowed him to learn how to play from a different perspective.

It undoubtedly made Jones a better player, just as David's slow introduction to the first team has benefitted him.

Sam did a lot right here but Hoilett for me wasn't one of them, it was clear to most people that he was ready for a good run in the team, he was easily our best player against Newcastle and then Spurs but disappeared in the following games I think.

It's always a balancing act though, in most situations his handling wouldn't have been a problem apart from Hoilett has a pushy agent / father.

Defend Sam all you want - but Hoilett got limited chances under Sam and had the shackles on him....No way Sam would tell him to attack how he wants, its all about percentages and getting balls into the box with Sam.

No doubt Kean has played a massive part in settling him

Defend Sam all you want - but Hoilett got limited chances under Sam and had the shackles on him....No way Sam would tell him to attack how he wants, its all about percentages and getting balls into the box with Sam.

No doubt Kean has played a massive part in settling him

Agree with that totally, I don't think we would have seen near what we have from Hoilett that we have had Sam stayed. I've always believed this and still do. Yes Sam did "blood" him but that is about it.

Sam did a lot right here but Hoilett for me wasn't one of them, it was clear to most people that he was ready for a good run in the team, he was easily our best player against Newcastle and then Spurs but disappeared in the following games I think.

It's always a balancing act though, in most situations his handling wouldn't have been a problem apart from Hoilett has a pushy agent / father.

Course he was. That's exactly what I'm saying. Wasn't Kean very fortunate to have such a talent coming through just at the right time.

If Kean is so good at improving players, then explain what happened to the rest of 'em after November?

Missing the point. You make it sound like he was happy under Sam and going to stay, reporters who've spoken to him or his advisers say the opposite.

I don't make it sound like anything, I'm just giving you some facts - like 27 appearances as a 19 yr old. As for Junior not being happy, well maybe he wasn't. He probably believed that he should be starting every game, but he wasn't doing enough to deserve that. That's obvious to anyone who watched him at the time. He had the promise, but wasn't delivering a finish to his play.

and still no-one who criticises Allardyce for not playing Hoilett enough, will say that the next 19 year old to come through, should start every game no matter how they perform. Why?

So a 19 year old was inconsistent, what a shocker most are and there's the issue. Hoillet showed glimpses of what he was capable of, Arsenal away in the 6-2 will always stick in my mind, but glimpses are not enough when your a team like we are. Now I'm not saying I 100% agree with the way Sam handled Hoillet as I feel he got dropped after good showings to easily. But when you are as weak as we are/were and you play a certain system you need all 11 players to be consistent and perform. Junior was too hot and cold back then and it was only really once he started playing in the hole with both Jones & Jones that we saw him flourish. So perhaps having two very defensive minded players behind him helped as before all he had was Salgado who has made a career out of being an attacking full back.

I don't make it sound like anything, I'm just giving you some facts - like 27 appearances as a 19 yr old. As for Junior not being happy, well maybe he wasn't. He probably believed that he should be starting every game, but he wasn't doing enough to deserve that. That's obvious to anyone who watched him at the time. He had the promise, but wasn't delivering a finish to his play.

and still no-one who criticises Allardyce for not playing Hoilett enough, will say that the next 19 year old to come through, should start every game no matter how they perform. Why?

Not the whole story though Den. I have given the stats on Hoilett before and they don't make good reading for Sam. Last season was understandable but this season, he started few games and most as a sub, Kean becomes manager and within a couple of games he is starting every game and more importantly scoring goals and being a match winner. He has already said that the chances of him signing a new deal under Sam would have been slim.

Both Hoilett and Olsson have stated the positive contribution that Kean has made to their game.

So a 19 year old was inconsistent, what a shocker most are and there's the issue. Hoillet showed glimpses of what he was capable of, Arsenal away in the 6-2 will always stick in my mind, but glimpses are not enough when your a team like we are. Now I'm not saying I 100% agree with the way Sam handled Hoillet as I feel he got dropped after good showings to easily. But when you are as weak as we are/were and you play a certain system you need all 11 players to be consistent and perform. Junior was too hot and cold back then and it was only really once he started playing in the hole with both Jones & Jones that we saw him flourish. So perhaps having two very defensive minded players behind him helped as before all he had was Salgado who has made a career out of being an attacking full back.

I expect the sickener for him was being dropped after him starting, and playing well, in the Newcastle and Spurs back to back games. I felt at the time it was back to square one for no good reason from his PoV. No-one would have guessed at that point that, not only would he start most games in the 2nd half of the season, but that he would be our go to man, with players told to give it to Junior wherever poss, which I think I read Roberts said somewhere.

If the LT report is true and he would not have signed for us again had things stayed as they were, then all the debate is pointless. What counts is what he thinks, not us losers on here. If he thinks he was treading water in the 1st half, and progessing in the 2nd then that is what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived