BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

He's quite a resilient character. I remember at Chelsea last season when he was challnged and went about five foot up in the air and landed full on his back. I wish we had a few more like him who would show some bravery from time to time.

Resilient and quite brave, he must have seen Schwarzer bearing now on him and he never flinched 100% commited to get to the ball, great to see that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he had suffered a career ending/blighting injury he would have regretted not signing the 5 year contract that's been put in front of him. Instead of picking up c£15m (before tax) to see him through the rest of his life, he'd get 9 months pay to 30 June 2012. Sometimes greed doesn't pay.

If Kean had any nous he would have shoved the contract under Hoilett's nose when he was semi-conscious!

I have never heard anyone make promises about so many things with deadlines set for himself too but to look like a fool each and every time.

This is the longest 24 hours of my life.

Agreed. And yet some people still believe what he says and want to give him more time.

he won't sign now, arsenal fans drooling about how good hoillet was.............straight off to a big team end of season, no point hanging around here he is more than good enough to go straight into a lot of teams.

All of a sudden the football press are waking up to what we have known for 18 months. Quite a few match commentators on the radio and internet were fulsome in their praise of Hoilett. One smart cookie said that his box of tricks going forward made up for his poor defensive work.

After he signed his 2 year deal I said last year that I couldn't see him signing another. Now I'm convinced that he wont. If he does sign a new deal then either he is mad or he has written the terms of the contract in it's entirity. He'll be the next one to shaft us mark my words.

This guy is a phenomenal talent, yes his defensive side isn't so great but he is strong for a small guy and he ripped Sagna and Djourou to shreds at times. It's almost like the ball is glued to his feet. Would be a real shame to see him leave which in reality will happen unfortunately.

hopefully he'll sign a new contract with an agreement that if a top 4 club comes in for him they'll agree to sell at a price suitable to both parties, the club has done alot for him, he owes them for giving him his chance in the premier league, it'd be dayllight robbery to lose him for nothing

This guy is a phenomenal talent, yes his defensive side isn't so great

Given our lack of good central midfield players and the defensive issue you mention, I think a more conventional 4-3-3 might suit the team more. That would give Hoilett and the other winger less defensive responsibilty as we'd have more bodies further back.

Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Olsson

N'Zonzi

Dunn Petrovic

Vukcevic ............ Hoilett

Yakubu

Something lke that? There are several personnel options but I'm starting to think that's the best formation, despite being a big fan of 4-2-3-1.

All of a sudden the football press are waking up to what we have known for 18 months. Quite a few match commentators on the radio and internet were fulsome in their praise of Hoilett. One smart cookie said that his box of tricks going forward made up for his poor defensive work.

After he signed his 2 year deal I said last year that I couldn't see him signing another. Now I'm convinced that he wont. If he does sign a new deal then either he is mad or he has written the terms of the contract in it's entirity. He'll be the next one to shaft us mark my words.

This could be the one thing which turns Venkys off Kean. If players let their contracts run down and leave cheaply, or even free, citing Kean as the reason then he is not going to be any use.

I think Venkys have cottoned on (excuse the mill-town pun) to the fact that making out of Rovers mean buying players low and selling high. Their plans will be scuppered if players don't play the game. Bet they wish they'd read up a bit more about Mr. Bosman...

And if Kean is seen as the problem, even if players don't say so directly, it could ruin everything.

All that said, if anyone owes Rovers, and in particular Kean, some loyalty, it's David Hoilett. By all means leave but we should get a nice wedge close to £10m, rather than nothing, or a paltry tribunal amount.

Oh yes, I remember now, loyalty and honour at Rovers only works one way. Just ask Brett. Still at least Junior will get a big fat signing on fee and exorbitant wage, and probably a Reserve League title over at City.

I thought he had a nightmare myself. Yes his attacking play was good, but he left Givet exposed all game long. It's all well and good ghosting past the full back, but you're worthless as a teammate if you don't track said fullback back when not in possession.

I thought he had a nightmare myself. Yes his attacking play was good, but he left Givet exposed all game long. It's all well and good ghosting past the full back, but you're worthless as a teammate if you don't track said fullback back when not in possession.

It's a fair point ER but defending is not one of his qualities, and wouldn't need to be if we had a career left back. Saying that Olsson and Givet worked much better second half.

Hoilett thiough does seem to have that magic ability to look as though the ball is on the end of a 3 inch piece of string attached to his toes!

Not even Ashley Cole can defend two against one, which is what Givet faced all day. As theno suggests, he should be played behind the striker from now on so he's not asked to track back as much. That said, he was tasked with the defensive duties of a winger today and he failed miserably at them.

In that formation though I'd drop Rochina to the bench and play Formica as the other winger for now. I like what he brings to the team.

Saying that Olsson and Givet worked much better second half.

Still, Walcott found himself in acres of space on several occassions in the last 10 minutes. It'll always be a problem with Givet there, no matter who is in midfield. You're right that Olsson probably improved the situation 100% there in second half, but in ratings I'd say that's like going from 2/10 to 4/10 - still nowhere near good enough.

Hoilett looks so dangerous cutting in from the left side, a bit like how Ashley Young does for Man Utd. I'm a bit worried he'd get croweded out in central midfield against a few teams. The idea of playing 'off a striker' rarely happens in modern football, but it could work.

Still, Walcott found himself in acres of space on several occassions in the last 10 minutes. It'll always be a problem with Givet there, no matter who is in midfield. You're right that Olsson probably improved the situation 100% there in second half, but in ratings I'd say that's like going from 2/10 to 4/10 - still nowhere near good enough.

Hoilett looks so dangerous cutting in from the left side, a bit like how Ashley Young does for Man Utd. I'm a bit worried he'd get croweded out in central midfield against a few teams. The idea of playing 'off a striker' rarely happens in modern football, but it could work.

So you're advocating a free role for Hoilett? Cos he doesn't track back. Olsson isn't a good enough LB to deal with two men for 90 minutes. He's barely good enough to deal with one (he's a left winger).

So you're advocating a free role for Hoilett? Cos he doesn't track back. Olsson isn't a good enough LB to deal with two men for 90 minutes. He's barely good enough to deal with one (he's a left winger).

The three central midfielders would have greater responsibilty to help the defence if Hoilett was on the left wing in a 4-3-3. I didn't say anything about a free role.

Arsenal probably have the most attacking right back in the league in Sagna, this doubling up isn't going to be as much of a problem as it was today against other teams.

Hoilett's so good that most right backs are going to be wary about bombing forward and leaving him on his own if he's on the left. Most other teams play with attacking wingers so why can't we?

Givet is so awful out there that he's exagerating the issue massively. I guess that doesn't help the situation at all, but fundamentally there is nothing wrong with playing Hoilett out wide. The defensive side is something he can learn as well.

Given our lack of good central midfield players and the defensive issue you mention, I think a more conventional 4-3-3 might suit the team more. That would give Hoilett and the other winger less defensive responsibilty as we'd have more bodies further back.

Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Olsson

N'Zonzi

Vukcevic Petrovic

Rochina ............ Hoilett

Yakubu

Something lke that? There are several personnel options but I'm starting to think that's the best formation, despite being a big fan of 4-2-3-1.

We've got to play Rochina as often as possible. I know he gives the ball away at times but it's only because he's trying to make things happen - it's vital that we don't stifle that. I've edited your team to show how I would accommodate him.

Anyone think that Olsson at left back and Hollett left-wing be enough of an attacking threat down that side to prevent the opposition getting forward on their right?

In other words, making them worry more about us and doubling up at the back - in effect making attack the best form of defence?

Archived