BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone think that Olsson at left back and Hollett left-wing be enough of an attacking threat down that side to prevent the opposition getting forward on their right?

In other words, making them worry more about us and doubling up at the back - in effect making attack the best form of defence?

I'd much prefer that Olsson left mid, Hoilett right mid. Let them both bomb on.

Having Olsson at left back and Hoilett at left mid would, potentially, leave us quite weak defensively. Both very attack minded. Could be very unbalanced.

Also, I think Olsson is wasted at LB. Let him get forward!

We've got to play Rochina as often as possible. I know he gives the ball away at times but it's only because he's trying to make things happen - it's vital that we don't stifle that. I've edited your team to show how I would accommodate him.

I think at the moment Formica is a better player, although there is no doubting Rochina's class.

I'd much prefer that Olsson left mid, Hoilett right mid. Let them both bomb on.

Having Olsson at left back and Hoilett at left mid would, potentially, leave us quite weak defensively. Both very attack minded. Could be very unbalanced.

Also, I think Olsson is wasted at LB. Let him get forward!

I agree to an extent. Plus I think Olsson isn't a particularly good full back. I was just wondering if as a wing back, he could double up with with Hoilett further up the pitch and cause more problems going forward.

Keeping their right-back occupied, and forcing their right winger to come back and support might negate the need for a strong left back.

I agree to an extent. Plus I think Olsson isn't a particularly good full back. I was just wondering if as a wing back, he could double up with with Hoilett further up the pitch and cause more problems going forward.

Keeping their right-back occupied, and forcing their right winger to come back and support might negate the need for a strong left back.

Likewise, I can see your logic.

I think that with them both bombing on we could end up vulnerable to the counter, or an organised push, on that side. I'd prefer solid defenders at full back and these two ahead of them. Olsson can help the fullback on the left (and I think with cover Givet would look less exposed) and Hoillet could assist the full back on the otherside, if it was drilled in him that he needed to be more organised in this regard (defending not Junior's forte).

Anyone think that Olsson at left back and Hollett left-wing be enough of an attacking threat down that side to prevent the opposition getting forward on their right?

In other words, making them worry more about us and doubling up at the back - in effect making attack the best form of defence?

Far too open, in my opinion.

Hoilett doesn't track back and Olsson isn't a natural defender.

Like someone else said, better to have them covering both flanks.

Him and Yak were a class above today in our attacking options, they both had very calm heads on the ball but Hoillet is an absolute dream to watch terrorise defences, they look so nervous when he moves the ball so fast with his feet.

We are going to lose him and it is sad to think like that but if he was going to sign he would have already.

He will be massively missed, he is a 10 mill player for us and we are going to lose him for nothing.

does anyone think he will be as good as duff in his prime while he was at rovers? i can see the similarities but duff had much more of an end product.

I think Duff was a bit better, could go outside and cross and later learnt to come inside and score. Both are class though and it's time the contract issue was cleared up.

Great result yesterday but it's time for Kean to cut the crap he talks to the press. He said Hoillet was 24 hours away from signing so lets get it done... He's worth upwards of 15 million IMO...

I think Duff was a bit better, could go outside and cross and later learnt to come inside and score. Both are class though and it's time the contract issue was cleared up.

Great result yesterday but it's time for Kean to cut the crap he talks to the press. He said Hoillet was 24 hours away from signing so lets get it done... He's worth upwards of 15 million IMO...

Brilliant today with the ball, poor without it - to the point of not being interested in tracking back at all when we lost posession until the first goa;/ . Key for me is swapping Rochina with Hoilett so Ruben plays wing and Junior second striker. Rochina, despite making the wrong decisions and being a bit selfish when he has the ball, tracked back excellently. He makes a much better fit for a role with defensive responsibilities. The midfield should set itself up Olsson left, Rochina right, Petrovic and Nzonzi in the middle with Hoilett floating behind Yakubu. That might just have enough quality going forward and a bit of steel when on the receiving end.

I can't see Hoilett signing now unless we have a truely amazing set of results so we might as well enjoy him while we have him.

Hoilett looked a class above all the players on the pitch last night. Wenger better stay away though!

I think he's progressed extremely well. The fact that we also have Olsson, Formica and Rochina who play a similar game to him in the team now is really encouraging.

Yakubu, Olsson, Formica/Rochina and Hoilett as our attacking players is quality.

• Backroom

Kean needs to sit down with Hoilett and explain the defensive side of the game to him - he's a constant threat up front but if he fails to help out his full-backs we'll end up conceding too many for our attacking play to matter. I'm assuming his weakness in this area of the game is part of the reason Allardyce didn't select Hoilett as often as Kean does - Allarydce was obviously a more tactically astute manager and wouldn't commit to attack at the expense of defending in the same way Kean does.

The only other thing that can be done with Junior, if he won't adapt his game to include defensive duties, is to put him in a role where they aren't really required - high up the pitch, basically just behind the striker.

Delighted to have a player of his ilk in the team, but equally dissapointed about the contract he never seems to sign. And all the big clubs have now started their hunt to get him I suppose. I reckon he is going to Liverpool or maybe Arsenal next year. But he should be thankful to the club and sign that contract (with a release-clause of course, or else he would never sign) and that way we can get some money for him when he do get sold. Because I cant see him staying here for long, he is such a great player, and imagine how good he will be in around 4/5 years? Scary! :P

so, he was xlose to signing a new deal in the summer, but its now just 3 months until he can sign a pre contract with another club?

the cynic in me, suggests he's wasting time on the contract....

he holds all the aces right now.

The cynic in me guesses that he already knows where he's going.

I suspect that's probably true. I imagine if he was going to sign it would have been at the end of August. Unless we make him a massive financial offer, or our performances massively improve, I can't see him committing now.

Kean looks like a real plum on this one....

We will need to sell in Jan and hope there is some sort of bidding war, otherwise we will struggle to get 5m for him due to the contract running down. Massive shame, but to be honest he never looked very comitted to Rovers which is strange seeing as he has been with the club so long.

I'll be amazed and happy at the same time if he signs a new deal but it's not looking good. Got to question why we didn't offer him a new contract until several months after the season ended.

He's good enough to play for a top 6 or even a top four team, it wouldn't surprise me if his agent (his dad as far as I know) has had some contact from a number of clubs.

Archived