BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

When Bentley moved to midfield we didn't see as much of him. Neither did we see much of Hargreaves. But both did their jobs efficiently without fuss. It's just the way it is; working hard and well but unseen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn`t figure out whether he was left wing, inside left, outside left, inside out, hokey cokey!?!

He wasn`t in it!

I don't agree with Gerrard man of the match, but I thought he played a very clever role tonight.

He drifted from a defensive midfield position to a more attacking inside left position. This gave us solidity at the back and allowed Joe Cole (then Rooney) to drift inside and link with the front man from out wide. It's that sort of fluidity that we've been lacking for years, hopefully Gerrard sticks to that role for a while.

I'm not sure why a few people all outraged at him being selected MoM though, the Peter Jackson MoM awards are notoriously crap as well. Maybe it was someone from one of the sponsors who chose it.

Espn had the match on for us down here. Good 12 hours all up, the oz lads got their first WC qualifier under the belt without a hitch. And this morning, was just as good seeing bentley play like he did. Great effort. Both deliveries to rooney and crouch were class, bummer they weren't finished.

Agreed david was a little muted when moved in, but capello will take that onboard.

here's to seeing our lad out there much more often!!

hopefully Gerrard sticks to that role for a while.

Hopefully it isn`t.

Are we talking about the same player that drags Liverpool kicking and screaming to an extra 20 points a season minimum?

I want a lot more from him and he is more than capable.

Dave played ace.

Just had a look on 606 to see what people have been saying about Bentley... the ones with half an ounce of a brain have said he played well and some even said he's their MOTM, most said between him and Joe Cole.

Those that obviously read The Sun and take everything they say at gospel said he was "cr*p" & "average"

Speaking of The Sun... their rating of Bentley in tomorrow's paper;

DAVID BENTLEY IT WAS not so long ago that Blackburn midfielder Bentley was booed here after snubbing Stuart Pearce’s Under-21 Euro Championship team last summer. Back in September he was jeered every time he touched the ball on his senior debut. But there were no grudges from Pearce, on the bench alongside Fabio Capello, and no such abuse last night as he gained his third cap. Playing out wide he supplied Jermaine Jenas with a fine through ball only for the chance to be squandered. But he could not close down Tranquillo Barnetta, who set up the hosts’ leveller. SATISFACTORY

Well done young David, some quality strikers would have turned the service he provided into goals. Proud of him.

I think perhaps the knocks on Gerrard are a bit harsh, not MOTM but clearly a better game from him than what we have been accustomed to. He was quiet but towards the end it looked like he was running the team. He put through quite a few good passes, perhaps he has finally found his role and will turn the corner.

The Insider on ESPN Soccernet had this junk to say about our Dave:

"David Bentley's selection on a right flank that could have been occupied by Beckham was among the most intriguing and on a night when the Blackburn man had a real chance to lay down a marker, he failed to make an impact. Some sections of the Wembley crowd were shouting Beckham's name mid-way through the first half and if this is the best his replacement could muster, that much talked of 100th international cap should still be claimed by the world's most famous player."

It's amazing isn't it? Ten people can watch a match and you will get ten different views of who was good and who was not.Ah,football.

It's amazing isn't it? Ten people can watch a match and you will get ten different views of who was good and who was not.Ah,football.

No...you'll get fifty views saying Bentley played excellently and one idiot writing for ESPN.

I've read several boards tonight (non-Rovers) and not one person has said Bentley played poorly, in fact most suggested he should have been MoM.

No...you'll get fifty views saying Bentley played excellently and one idiot writing for ESPN.

I've read several boards tonight (non-Rovers) and not one person has said Bentley played poorly, in fact most suggested he should have been MoM.

Indeed le Chuck, Bentley had a very good game

As for the Beckham chanting , just goes to show what type of fan goes to watch the England games now - they haven't got a clue or could it just be as Mattyblue has said

When was the last time Beckham did anything of significance, especially for England?

It was a bit refeshing to see some of the gameplay last night - there was definitely something different, a bit rusty but nonetheless 'different'.

I too thought Gerrard had an excellent match, along with Rooney - the one that looked a bit out of sorts to me was Barry surprisingly and Ashley Cole doesn't seem half the player he used to be (or is not interested)

Watched the game last night with great interest to see the new look team, to see how Capello started and his ideas and also to see IF given the chance what Bentley would do.

90 minutes later – Bentley had started his 1st game, played a full game and was one, if not the best performer for England in a decent performance. 1st half England did what they had to, without really leaving 2nd gear. They kept the ball and created 1 or 2 chances, however it looked like a team that had been told by the new manager to be patient, not to force the ball. The England fans grew frustrated after 20 mins, singing ‘There’s only one David Beckham’ after one of Bentley’s free-kicks was cleared. As the game went on however Bents managed to win fans over with his performance. Bentley still managed some good crosses and corners and set up Jenas, who failed to square earlier to Joe Cole. He also found the head of Rooney from a free-kick and Ferdinand from a Corner.

2nd Half was much improved for England – Main men being Rooney, Cole and Bentley. Subs came and went but Bentley remained on the field. Bentley put Rooney through early in the 2nd half, he also made two delicate chips to the feet of both Rooney & Crouch who failed to capitalise on the excellent passing.

A great night for the Blackburn winger that cost us £700k and a great night for Blackburn Rovers and everyone connected with it. Following that performance there will be a few more clubs that are interested in Bentley come summer. However his Value will also have just increased.

Well done Bentley (Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright and Mark Lawrenson all agree)

Dave Bentley Oooooh

Dave Bentley Oooooh

He made the Cockneys boo

They haven’t got a clue!

Like they took Ferdinand, Gerrard and Rooney with 3 minutes to go off?? :rolleyes:

Hughesy

All that means is that we didn't have as much clout as the teams who got their players off the pitch after 50 minutes. So we get back a knackered player.

I don't agree with Gerrard man of the match, but I thought he played a very clever role tonight.

He drifted from a defensive midfield position to a more attacking inside left position. This gave us solidity at the back and allowed Joe Cole (then Rooney) to drift inside and link with the front man from out wide. It's that sort of fluidity that we've been lacking for years, hopefully Gerrard sticks to that role for a while.

I'm not sure why a few people all outraged at him being selected MoM though, the Peter Jackson MoM awards are notoriously crap as well. Maybe it was someone from one of the sponsors who chose it.

I was there last night & it would of been difficult to pick a man of the match. Gerrard probably would of been my choice though, his long range passing is so precise & he just gets everywhere. Other than him, Bentley & Rooney gave good performances. Upson played well enough. Ashley Cole seemed to be in a world of his own (hardly surprising with his off the field probs) & Wes Brown looked a bit dodgy.

Pleased for Capello though, he needs time & he can't be expected to turn us into world beaters in 2 days preparation. He was constantly in the "coaching area" instructing the team & shook each players hand as they left the field when subbed. Sven would of just sat on the bench & McClaren would of been under a umbrella somewhere!

While England were slowly building a move which ended in a good save from Swiss keeper, crowd- "booooooooooo!".

When Bentley put in probably his ONLY poor ball in the whole game, Crowd- "Only one David Beckham"

I knew when the England roadshow ended up back in London, the Southern (largely) cretins who go to Wembley would resurface.

bentley got a great reception last night at wembley. remember, his last game had boos ringing out with every touch. Everyone i spoke to last night were all really impressed with both his touch, ability to spot a pass and hunger to actually do somethign with the ball.

his movement off the ball was sublime, always making himself available on the angles for wes brown or the midfielders and i lost count of how many times he was literally demanding the ball from the likes of gerrard and barry.

for large parts of our season, he's been the majopr attacking threat. Along with joe cole last night - he was certainly one of englands finest on the pitch.

well done bents.....now keep the form up for the rest of the season!

Don't want to appear a doom and gloom merchant, but i'll be very surprised if he isn't playing in the champions league next year. If we somehow put a run together, i think he'd stay, but i can see liverpool / chelsea coming in for him with a large bid in the summer.

Bents is on a high now from the game. He knows he did well but he knows he can do even better. Playing for England will only add to his game.

As for leaving, where will he go and get first team football every match? Should Man U or Liverpool be able to offer him a place in the starting line up every match, or should Sparky leave, then we have a problem. Until that time, there is no point worrying.

Gerrard " man of the match " at the stadium. :unsure:

Who picked that?

I couldn`t figure out whether he was left wing, inside left, outside left, inside out, hokey cokey!?!

He wasn`t in it!

As for Lawrenson commenting on PC users as " geeks ".

Well, words fail me

At the beginning of the game he commented on a new beginning. If only that included the commentators. Motson and Lawro are beyond awful and I know not of anyone who enjoy their drivel.

that suprised all the guys i were with too. He was ineffectual in the first half, but to be fair, he did turn things around in the 2nd.

for me, it was a split between cole and bents

Dave played ace.

Just had a look on 606 to see what people have been saying about Bentley... the ones with half an ounce of a brain have said he played well and some even said he's their MOTM, most said between him and Joe Cole.

Those that obviously read The Sun and take everything they say at gospel said he was "cr*p" & "average"

Speaking of The Sun... their rating of Bentley in tomorrow's paper;

i've just read the sun along with a few other papers.... they all give him an excellent!

it seems the paper version is different from the online version...

Bents is on a high now from the game. He knows he did well but he knows he can do even better. Playing for England will only add to his game.

As for leaving, where will he go and get first team football every match? Should Man U or Liverpool be able to offer him a place in the starting line up every match, or should Sparky leave, then we have a problem. Until that time, there is no point worrying.

everything i've read about bentley suggests he's an extremely confident lad. If a champs league club came in for him, i doubt he'd worry about guaranteed football. He'd believe in himself to be in the first XI on metrit!

arsenal was a long time ago. he was right to leave when he did, but i doubt that will count for anything if the big4 come in for him...

if its newcastle though - he should laugh in their faces!

I thought Bentley was superb on his first start for England and certainly was a contender for man of the match.

I thought his workrate on the night was excellent as he had to both attack and defend. Wes Brown I thought was shocking with his wayward passing and constant giving the ball away which meant Bents had to work very hard.

He looked good on the ball and kept possession well. In terms of crossing I thought he wasn’t at 100% but he put in some world class crosses and through balls. In the first half the Jenas pass was sublime and he found England players with the corners and set pieces.

In the second half I thought he was even better, two particular passes were world class in my opinion. The turning chipped pass to Rooney was sublime and the Beckham-esque pass to crouch was a joy to watch. He became a bit quiet after he was moved into the middle due to SWP coming on.

Bentley must of impressed Capello last night as he kept him on for the full 90 and after that performance he must surely have a chance to start against France.

Well done Bents!

bentley got a great reception last night at wembley. remember, his last game had boos ringing out with every touch.

There was that moment around the 20 minute mark where he didn't hit a great ball into the box and the fans chanted "there is only one david Beckham". Though that soon changed with some of his sublime passes.

It was certainly a better reception than he got on his debut.

Archived