BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

I know it's early days yet, but I feel England are in for an international revival under Capello. Last night the England team as a whole showed far more organisation and will to win than they did at any point in the McClaren reign. And that was only a friendly! No doubt Capello will want to experiment further yet, and we can expect to see a few more changes of personnel, but there is no doubt that Bentley did enough to show Capello what he can do, and should remain in his plans. Well done Bent's!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Bentley were a different class last night, i were very impressed with the way he didn't look nervous or feel as though he didn't belong on the pitch. He really reminded me of a young David Beckham, with that little brash/cocky but rightly so attitude he appears to have, some of the passes he made yesterday were straight out of a Beckham textbook. (BTW the cocky bit i mean that he appears to have complete belief in his own ability and wants to show it off to anyone who will watch)

His performance last night made me even more proud to say i'm a Rovers fan, all my friends were amazed at how good he were and didn't even realise he played for us. They all support Liverpool/Man Utd but i'd would of at least thought they would know who he played for.

IMO if he carries on with that sort of form it can only be good for Rovers, England and for the lad himself because he really is showing some potential to be a top class right midfielder.

The Insider on ESPN Soccernet had this junk to say about our Dave:

"David Bentley's selection on a right flank that could have been occupied by Beckham was among the most intriguing and on a night when the Blackburn man had a real chance to lay down a marker, he failed to make an impact. Some sections of the Wembley crowd were shouting Beckham's name mid-way through the first half and if this is the best his replacement could muster, that much talked of 100th international cap should still be claimed by the world's most famous player."

It's amazing isn't it? Ten people can watch a match and you will get ten different views of who was good and who was not.Ah,football.

The media often write what they think their audience wants to here. Lets face it, how many newspapers does a good story on Beckham sell as opposed to some novice international.

My view is that knowledgable people who watched the game can make their own minds up.

Like some have said, very early days yet.

Thought the performance was ok, we played some good stuff in patches but i think it was important to get a win with it being his first game in charge

Dunno about anyone else but the thought of a England team built around Rooney, Cole, Bentley, Terry & Gerrard? Yes please, add to that the likes of SWP, Agbonlahor, Richards etc waiting in the wings the future could be very bright

http://thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/foo...ticle771578.ece

online version saying he was second best to cole...

I copy n' pasted the online version from last night, that someone had posted on the official site... must have chamged their minds after realising people were praising him... bunch of sheep!

Yeah thats what I heard too - If we can get him to accept £30k then thats good business for the club.

He seems to be a little more level headed since his ordeal at Arsenal, and he was facing the football scrapheap before we took him. Not too long before Norwich had sent him back - FOOLS! Maybe thats why he came for a sensible wage?

What makes me chuckle is the number of posts i have seen on 606 saying Bentley was rubbish and that Lennon, SWP and Beckham are better players.

Really? I read at least 4 pages on there last night and only one person said he thought Bentley was poor, and that poster got shot down in flames by everyone else. Are you sure you're not exaggerating...

Really? I read at least 4 pages on there last night and only one person said he thought Bentley was poor, and that poster got shot down in flames by everyone else. Are you sure you're not exaggerating...

There has been a lot more posts on there today on numerous threads in the England forum saying Bentley was poor or doesn't deserve to play for England.

I didn't say there was a huge amount or an amount that shows a clear consensus of opinion, but I said I was surprised at how many posts there were slagging of Bents. It’s a sizeable amount, but I reckon overall the majority do feel that Bents played very well last night.

I hope he does sign a new contract. It will be a reward for all the hard work he has put in and from a club point of view should protect us a bit in case another club comes sniffing. It will obviously cost them more the longer the contract has to run.

Though i'm optimistic Bents will be here for a while yet. Obviously the allure of champions league football would be tempting, but out of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool which club is going to give him regular week in week out football? None of them as i can see.

I hope he does sign a new contract. It will be a reward for all the hard work he has put in and from a club point of view should protect us a bit in case another club comes sniffing. It will obviously cost them more the longer the contract has to run.

Though i'm optimistic Bents will be here for a while yet. Obviously the allure of champions league football would be tempting, but out of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool which club is going to give him regular week in week out football? None of them as i can see.

Chelsea is the only team I fear in that list. Man U have Ronaldo, Rafa's rotations would put Bentley off Liverpool and Arsenal well, do I need to say? But if Bentley takes SWP's place in the England squad Chelsea might start wondering why they have the 2nd best right winger and little old Blackburn have the best.....

Id say either Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham & Newcastle could all be interested with big money.

Although surely it would cost them similar to what Duff did.

allanncd - £30k isnt top wack at ewood, they offered Bellamy £60k a week to stay! But Bentley although is improving, doesnt yet merit the top £60k to stay. £30k - 40k is fair!

In the star today there is a full page article in there where Rooney says Bentley did well and he is like a young Beckham and that he set him up a few times, and thats all you can ask. So those doubters on 606 need to listen to that!

Bents has the natural talent, theres no question about that. But i believe regular first team football and having Sparky as manager is a large factor in why Bentley has progressed as a player and is playing so well. He has said many times in the media that he loves the club and loves playing under Hughes.

I'm a realist, i know he won't stay forever. But i can see Bents staying for some time yet.

I saw the comments also from Rooney, which were nice to see. Bents supplied at least 3 decent passes to Rooney that he could have put away. You could see Rooney was especially impressed with the chipped pass that Bents did.

allanncd - £30k isnt top wack at ewood, they offered Bellamy £60k a week to stay! But Bentley although is improving, doesnt yet merit the top £60k to stay. £30k - 40k is fair!

He might get offered that if he were to say he was thinking of leaving for his boyhood club. :rolleyes:

Boyhood club?! Peterborough?! Oh i hope they dont come in for him!!

I would be very suprised if we were prepared to pay £60k a week rather than recieving around £15 million!!! Dont forget he has a big contract so if he wont sign, rovers dont have to sell yet - they can allow him to develop further 1st if they did have to sell.

Archived