BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Ok - so in the summer we get an offer of £15m for Bentley, what would you do??

If he's signed the contract, keep. He's featuring regularly in the England squad and after World Cup 2010 (I'm sure Fabio will get us there this time) his value is hardly going to drop and he will still have 2-3 years left on his contract.

If he hasn't signed the contract, probably sell but try and negotiate £17-£18 million.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep, there is no way I can see we got him for the price we did without a hefty sell-on clause.

He is far more valuable to us as a player than as a disappointingly small percentange of a transfer cheque.

Not really bothered about any sell-on clause - though if he had I would imagine that somebody would have leaked it by now.

The comparisons with Duff are astounding. Duff improved over a number of seasons - and then had a season where he basically ran the show for us. In the final six months prior to leaving he was untouchable - and probably one of the best players in the Premiership at the time. Bentley seems to have enjoyed a similar rise - improving from a player who showed flashes - to one whom the whole team now seems to rotate around.

Providing he signs a new contract - it is essential he stays. A further season of improvement at Rovers would guarantee that he could name the club he moved onto next - and I would include most of the big names across Europe. Most important - providing Hughes makes the right purchases in the summer - I can see a team with Bentley, full fit Reid, Dunn, hopefully rejuvenated Nelsen and Samba - further progress from Warnock, Derbyshire - back to form of MGP - pushing the top 4 very hard next season. Without Bentley - I could see a similar impact as the first post-Duff season - where the team struggled to accomodate a new style forced by the loss of our most influential player.

Not really bothered about any sell-on clause - though if he had I would imagine that somebody would have leaked it by now.

The comparisons with Duff are astounding. Duff improved over a number of seasons - and then had a season where he basically ran the show for us. In the final six months prior to leaving he was untouchable - and probably one of the best players in the Premiership at the time. Bentley seems to have enjoyed a similar rise - improving from a player who showed flashes - to one whom the whole team now seems to rotate around.

Providing he signs a new contract - it is essential he stays. A further season of improvement at Rovers would guarantee that he could name the club he moved onto next - and I would include most of the big names across Europe. Most important - providing Hughes makes the right purchases in the summer - I can see a team with Bentley, full fit Reid, Dunn, hopefully rejuvenated Nelsen and Samba - further progress from Warnock, Derbyshire - back to form of MGP - pushing the top 4 very hard next season. Without Bentley - I could see a similar impact as the first post-Duff season - where the team struggled to accomodate a new style forced by the loss of our most influential player.

Cracking post that.

Although I agree on most points, I still think we'll fall short of the top 4 on several points. Our strength in depth is obviously somewhat lacking and I think we'd need someone as influential on the left wing as Bentley is on the right...not to mention a re-shape of the defence.

Ok - so in the summer we get an offer of £15m for Bentley, what would you do??

Refuse it based on the fact that first offers are always low. Also the next decision would depend on our own valuation (his age, who else is on the market, his displays for England as well as contractual issues e.g. sell-on clause by Arsenal / any monies accruing to Bentley / Hughes opinion and who he has on his shopping list, all of which I am not privy to.

More attention should also be given to the dangerous nature of football. Nicko tells us that Bullard is now untouchable as no one will insure him, Sav broke his leg and lost his form, Shearer was not the same player after 1. his cruciate injury and 2. his ankle injury. Owen is not what he once was, etc etc etc. What I do know is that Bentley gets an absolute hammering every week nowadays and anything could happen to decrease his worth.

We should sell him if we get a high enough bid (£15m or whatever valuation the club might have), but only if we have replacements lined up. Now unless Sparky unearths another gem we will be weakened on the right wing. But a slight weakening there (We could spend half the money on the replacement and that'd still be enough for a very good player) would hopefully be offset by strengthening elsewhere (Central midfield mainly). Now of course there's wages to take care of, as when selling one and buying three we'll have three wages to pay. But that's hard to really say anything about now, as we don't know what kind of wages the new signings will be on, and if we bring in a striker then one of Benni/Roberts would probably leave, saving wages etc.

People also bring up Duff as an example of why not to sell, but I don't think that's quite fair. For that kind of money it was the right decision to sell Duff (Whether or not there had been a clause), we just messed up when trying to replace him. I trust Sparky to not make the same mistake.

However I'd be very happy if Bents was happy to stay and we didn't get a high enough offer to have to consider letting him go.

I personally think Bentley will leave in the summer and I will wish him all the best, he's a great player and deserves to play at the highest player but even if we get 15 mill for him I dont believe that we'll be able to replace him with someone of a similar quality. I personally feel he has the potential to be as good as gerrard and before anyone disagrees remember that bentley is 23 and try to remember what gerrard was like 5 years ago

• Backroom
:D

Once a player at a club like Rovers gets his England call up, it's only a matter of time before he departs.

Especially if the England manager is telling him he should be playing regular European football/Champions league (see today's Sunday People) :angry:

I'm in two minds about this. I was 100% behind selling Duff, yet I was proven wrong. Very wrong.

However I trust Hughes more than Souness, though I totally trusted Souness at the time.

However many good players we get, we wont get any as good as Bentley, and he is winning us games at the moment in the same way DD did.

But, on the other hand, he will leave one day, and is his value currently at its peak? If he doesn't sign a new contract I would say yes, otherwise it might be a case of peanuts in a year or two.

I disagree that you were wrong. Duff has been injured on and off since then, plus hasn't been the same player for the last couple of years. 17 million was a great piece of business. (And it isn't like we had a choice, as the bid met the release clause.)

I can't see Bentley leaving, he has produced his best football under Hughes and this club and there is no reason for it not to improve again.

He surely wouldn't go back to Arsenal, Man Utd already have Christina and Chelsea are well endowed with wingers these days which only leaves Liverpool. Who quite honestly with bad luck and from could finish outside of the CL spots and maybe competing for a 5th or 6th with us.

With all the Beckham mania in the press, I hope Bentley takes it positively and looks to ram it all backwards down their column inches by brilliant performances.

At least the argument about needing to play for a big club is held up for ridicule by Beckham's inclusion.

I can't see Bentley leaving, he has produced his best football under Hughes and this club and there is no reason for it not to improve again.

He surely wouldn't go back to Arsenal, Man Utd already have Christina and Chelsea are well endowed with wingers these days which only leaves Liverpool. Who quite honestly with bad luck and from could finish outside of the CL spots and maybe competing for a 5th or 6th with us.

you cant see him leaving?£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

:D

Once a player at a club like Rovers gets his England call up, it's only a matter of time before he departs.

Which is why I can never understand those who chant 'Bentley for England'.

He'll either get booed or end up leaving, what do we gain?

If Bentley were to leave there are only a two clubs that you could say would be interested and would be a step up, Liverpool and Spurs. Liverpool are constantly looking for wingers, with Jermaine Pennant and Youssi Benayoun not realling reaching the levels they would want. Liverpool want to be challenging the other top teams for the Premiership and at the moment they are a long way off them. Too be honest I don't think that Bentley is good enough yet to take Liverpool closer to these teams, so I would imagine them looking elsewhere. Spurs would be more likely to be interested. However, they have more midfielders and wingers than you could shake a stick at so I don't know if he would play regularly there. On top of that, Spurs are a team that are looking to break into the top 4 and Rovers should be looking to do likewise and should convince Bentley of this.

Which is why I can never understand those who chant 'Bentley for England'.

He'll either get booed or end up leaving, what do we gain?

Because having an England regular in the team is something the club can be proud of and it bumps his value up by at least £5 million. Also you can look at it the other way, if he's getting England recognition whilst playing for Rovers then maybe he might feel less of a need to leave so soon.

Especially if the England manager is telling him he should be playing regular European football/Champions league (see today's Sunday People) :angry:

errr..... he has been playing in europe for the past two seasons. :blink:

I've already asked the question why it takes two to write a speculative paper filling story for the People but as yet have not received a reply. ;)

• Backroom
errr..... he has been playing in europe for the past two seasons. :blink:

I'm only citing what Nicko's chum Scott Peshia wrote in Sunday People !

What's the expression? Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger ! :lol:

Archived