BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how him being angry about losing his place is a bad thing. Surely that shows a good attitude that he actually wants to play for his country. At least there is desire there. Unless of course he had the attitude that it was his god given right to play.

"England doubts over Bentley's attitude". He has every right to be furious about losing his England place to that total footballing non-entity that was once David Beckham.

The Sun has obviously decided their mission for this summer is to sell David Bentley.

So Gerrards p1ssed off cos Lpool lost a weekend match but Bentley is not allowed to be equally p1ssed off when he's lost his place in the team to the internal politics of some invisible corporate selection panel? Especially when he was MoM in many peoples eyes for the last match.

Ridiculous reporting that unfortunately is taken as gospel by the red top reading underclass.

It’s true what they say – You have to play for a big club if you want to be a regular 1st team player for your country. Beckham hasn’t played any competitive games recently and plays in the US, Bentley played the best game of his season last week in the English Prem. Bentley earned rave reviews in the last England game, beckham wasn’t there.

What happened? Bentley got dropped! Absolutely pathetic! Until England stop worrying about big ego’s or big name players then they won’t win anything. As for Capello’s comment of “Beckham can be my Ronaldo” No he cant! Unless you was talking about the fat, useless one from Brazil that cant run anymore?!?

I mentioned before the England game I'D be ###### off if Bents did not start. Surely he was just about Englands best performer against the Swiss and deserved to keep the shirt for the starting spot. I can understand him being cheesed off about it. I think it is why he did not do so well when he did come on, he was mad and pushing to make a point.

as for the big club thing, I know what you mean but LA Galaxy a big club? Anyway I think with Capello we have a boss who will not follow the stereotypical England boss ways in selecting only from the big 4. I think he will use players smaller teams if the show their worth in the league. Let's keep level headed and remember it was only a friendly and now the distraction of Becks and his 100 caps is behind us.

Concern about capello, remember when he was appointed he said he'd be speaking in English by the time the first friendly came around, well we've had our second and he is usinmg an interpretor still. Not a big deal but he also promised the World Cup heh heh.

What did Duff do after his first season??!

Win two titles and two league cups, that's all!!

So by that reckoning- Darren Fletcher, Ji-sung Park & Harry Kewell have been world class the last 3-4 seasons as they have plenty of medals between them?

When will this nostalgia stop. Duffer was class in his last two seasons with us, he carried this form into his first season at Chelsea were he was on of there top performers. He got injured and also devolved a bit of an ego ( Mr Mourinho reportedly wans't happy with him in training), since then he has been injured has lost his pace and has been extremely poor. He is so poor that he isn’t even a regular starter at the barcodes, where the fans wan shut of him.

I mentioned before the England game I'D be ###### off if Bents did not start. Surely he was just about Englands best performer against the Swiss and deserved to keep the shirt for the starting spot. I can understand him being cheesed off about it. I think it is why he did not do so well when he did come on, he was mad and pushing to make a point.

as for the big club thing, I know what you mean but LA Galaxy a big club? Anyway I think with Capello we have a boss who will not follow the stereotypical England boss ways in selecting only from the big 4. I think he will use players smaller teams if the show their worth in the league. Let's keep level headed and remember it was only a friendly and now the distraction of Becks and his 100 caps is behind us.

Concern about capello, remember when he was appointed he said he'd be speaking in English by the time the first friendly came around, well we've had our second and he is usinmg an interpretor still. Not a big deal but he also promised the World Cup heh heh.

I have heard journalists say they have heard him speak perfect english.

He is using this as a way to avoid the constant media barrage, I believe

Fact of the matter is that no one can keep their best players if the top four want them. Everyone has to sell becuase of the money involved. Rooney/Carrick to Man Utd, Duff/SWP/Anelka etc to Chelsea, Crouch to Liverpool. What you can do is seriously put them off with high price tags, as we successfully did with Pedersen but unsuccessfully did with Duff. Carrick is a case in point- Spurs did everything they could to keep him but in the end he wanted to go and United offered stupid money. The same will agian happen with berbatov this summer in all likelyhood.

It really comes down to two things. 1) Does a club want Bentley enough to toil through the summer negotiating with Hughes and eventually offering 15m+? 2) Does Bentley want to go?

I think 2) is pretty much foregon. Whilst not against staying I am sure Bentley would be interested in going to a CL club if he thought he would get a regular starting place. That probably rules out Chelsea and possibly Man Utd, but I am sure Liverpool or a Spanish or Italian destianation would be interesting. Arsenal is a non starter due to history.

1) is a different matter. Liverpool have been squemish at paying out huge fees, even though with Torres they did it. I am not sure Benitez will fancy blowing his whole budget for a player who, while good, is not exactly world class yet. Clubs abroad will have the same problem. I can't see the real mega clubs (AC, Inter, Real, Barca) going for it (unless Bentley has a stella end to the season) so you have to ask whether Valencia or Roma or someone is going to find 15m for a player who, again, is not utterly outstanding.

The problem for us is if Liverppol make a half hearted attempt to sign him, which I reckon is almost a certianty, and ultimately give up Bentley might get distracted and a bit fed up. He might see it as Rovers blocking his exit unfairly. But then with Roberts the same thing happend in January and he has performed well so maybe that will pan out fine...

I think that 'when bentley wants to leave' - he will - simple. He is very outspoken and quite arrogant so when he feels its time to move, im sure he will tell them exactly that and drag his heels if it doesnt go his way.

Valencia are supposed to be willing to pay around the £10m mark for bentley but that isnt enough.

Once again, it might have been better for Bentley to keep his counsel, at least at this stage.

Beckham was surely always going to get his 100th cap at some point, the fact he started the game might not mean that much, he arguably deserved a standing ovation for his previous efforts when he came off, and the fact he was brought off after 62 minutes the other night suggests it might have been a ceremonial exercise.

In the short term it might not do DB any good to wind Capello up the wrong way, he might have been an automatic selection from now on anyway.

Beckham was surely always going to get his 100th cap at some point, the fact he started the game might not mean that much, he arguably deserved a standing ovation for his previous efforts when he came off, and the fact he was brought off after 62 minutes the other night suggests it might have been a ceremonial exercise.

Absolute common sense .......this was a meaningless friendly whose only significance was that it enabled the manager to give Beckham his 100th cap - which , incidetally he fully deserved and which the vast , vast majority of fans wanted to see .

Bentley would otherwise have started .

And now if Bentley can't push aside someone who plays in a mickey mouse league on another continent then it's his own fault - not the media's .

I went to the game and it was a wonderfully unspectacular experience, what I can say is that Beckham was probably the best English player on the night (not saying much). I felt that the wide players were resrtriced by the fact that they regularly allowed the full backs to take up more forward positions and they would simply drop back to cover (what's the point of having Brown go to cross while Beckham sits on the halfway line?).

What I will say is this, Bentley needs to calm down a bit. He could easily have seen himself sent off for the push had it been a real match and had it been the wrong ref. He was clearly very frustrated by the experience as he spent virtually the entire game shouting at the rest of the players and telling them that they weren't doing things.

Also, based on his half-time warm-up, I can say that he is an Alex Gaudino fan.

Mmm? Pretty clever on his part I'd say.

Clever though it may be in the short term, it can only go on so long until the critcism becomes him not making enough effort to learn the language.

i dont know if people were watching football focus but John Motson was sticking up for Mr Bentley. He is commentating on the game today and said he was particularly looking out for him. Bentley should also be starting for england whilst Beckham is still in capello's plans, maybe he should be coming off from the bench or moved into the middle. thankfully lawro didnt comment on the situation!

I was getting sick of him spouting off to the media at the start of the season and now I reckon it's time Sparky pulls him in and tells him to shut up wether he's off or not. The media have been bigging Bentley up all season but us Rovers fans know his form ws better last season.

I think with all this talk from DB then I'd take the money if it was 17 million. Duff was better than DB and Sparky will spend the money better than Souness did when we sold Duff. It's a risk but I feel DB is starting to make trouble and I worry that if he stays then next season his gob will be in overdrive...

If the board was to give Sparky all the funds from Bentley's sale plus whatever kitty then I think we could be ok...

Hahaha, obviously David's wound him up the wrong way. I bet he laughed when reading that headline!

I really hope that Bentley doesn't leave this summer, but if he does, then he better not have a god damned release clause in his contract! In today's market we should be looking at between £15 - £20m.

Archived