BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

4) Liverpool- Too much rotation going on there for him to keep his place.

Liverpool seem to have settled on a 4-2-3-1 formation, and at the moment Kuyt is playing on the right wing, which isn't ideal really. Bentley would be a far better option for them there, and they could easily offload Pennant to make room in the squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez is looking at Bentley.

I also wouldn't completely rule out Man Utd. Giggs can't be far from retirement and, whilst not a natural replacement (I guess that would be Nani), he fill the attacking midfielder/winger role in the squad that Giggs occupies. Ronaldo no longer players on the right wing but just seems to play wherever he wants, he never crosses the ball now, instead being in the centre to get on the end of crosses. Maybe Bentley could be supplying those crosses...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clubs that could be interested are

Tottenham & Newcastle

Clubs that are apparently interested already

Seville, Valencia, Man City & Liverpool

Going off that list of clubs alone – You’re already starting the bidding at over £10m. Pennant cost Liverpool £7m and he isn’t half the player of Bentley. Jenas cost £7m 3 years ago! So now in today’s inflated marked - £10m is nowhere near enough, even if Bentley drags his high heels for a move.

Im sure there are other clubs interested too, maybe one or two Italians or maybe other big name Europeans depending on what action happens this summer following the Euro’s.

£15m is the absolute minimum that we must demand – ideally more but I doubt it!

The problem is you base your crazy valuations on your twisted theories.

Pennant half the player Bentley is? Really?

Pennant was bought at a time when he was in the form of his life, in England squad etc etc...

Bentley could easily be in the same position in 18 months.

Your outlandish statements of ''£15m minimum'' just reek of crazy tinted fan.

Because, year after year, newcastle will be in a far superior financial position to rovers, able to give a manager ample transfer funds, thanks to gates of 52000 every week. That's why.

But this has all been true for years Den, as I said. It means next to nothing though because of their gross underachievement, which doesn't look like being turned round yet. Newcastle clearly aren't going to reach a level much higher than our current level. So it'd be a waste for most players. And Bentley will see his ultimate fate as being at one of the Big Four.

Newcastle may ultimately escape from their underachieving, but a player at any of the clubs I mentioned would be best advised to stay put until that looks like happening. Not that footballers are renowned for their brain power.

• Backroom
The problem is you base your crazy valuations on your twisted theories.

Pennant half the player Bentley is? Really?

Pennant was bought at a time when he was in the form of his life, in England squad etc etc...

Bentley could easily be in the same position in 18 months.

Your outlandish statements of ''£15m minimum'' just reek of crazy tinted fan.

crazy valuations and twisted theories? In your mind maybe Shilito.. but every one is entitled to an opinon

outlandish statements of "£15M minimum" just reek of crazy tinted fan? .. again, maybe in your mind.. thankfully not everyone thinks like you.

Well you've put yourself in a situation where it seems you are fighting the cause for a £15m+ fee for Bentley (If you suggest this isn't the case in a pedantic way please bear in mind I'm not interested) so it would be unfortunate for you if bidding clubs thought like me as it would mean you wouldn't get your wish.

• Backroom

Personally, I don't care whether you're interested or not, I'm entitled to my opinion just the same as you are yours.

You are of the opinion Rovers wont get £15M for Bentley - fair enough

• Backroom

Because I'm not getting into an arguement over opinions (which is what it seems you are trying to force)

an opinion is an opinion, mine differs from yours - leave it at that

No, no..

I have quoted another poster, questioned the validy of his statement (Pennant twice the player as Bentley etc), and given my opinion as a counter argument.

It's what Messageboards were invented for, it's why people read/use them.

You've quoted me but not really contributed any further to the conversation, which is all it is. All you've done is point out that other peoples opinion may differ to mine, which I am aware of.

After all, there would be some pretty dull conversations otherwise.

Parallel universes this thread and the nico one.

Nico not seeing there is anybody out there other than Man City (who have given up) all that interested in David and here we are doing the job of his agent pricing, packaging and flogging off our own best player!

For what its worth, my view is that all this media work is an attempt to do two things-

1) See if there is any interest out there before the contract extension gets signed- market testing, and

2) Raising Bentley's profile and attractiveness for sponsorship marketing packages and getting media coverage just to make it that bit more difficult to pick the now permanently match unfit Beckham from LALA for England.

Neither of these makes it likely that Bents will be off this summer but we've got to get that Intertoto place.

Pennant moved 2 years ago, Jenas 3 years ago. Both would be worth more now, Bentley is better than both - therefore i feel £15m is a fair tag. Also the prices hae also been inflated by the extra cash. If Bent was worth £16m from Charlton then Bentley is worth £15m from a team chasing Europe.

In today's LT, JW says tht in recognition of DB' recent success the club are looking to extend his present contract and "there is nothing more to say."

I believe Williams and Hughes on this matter, MH simply said he doesn't want, and there is no need to sell. On the other hand this is only half the article, apparently Bentley has said:

The controversy escalated after quotes attributed to Bentley stated, when asked if Blackburn missing out on Europe would seek him to look for a move away from Ewood Park, Bentley is quoted as saying: "I won't answer that. I'll leave it up to you to decide."

And, on the subject of a proposed new deal, Bentley added: "It's a big decision in my life at the minute. I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game," he said.

"I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting - so sometimes you have to make strong decisions, we'll have to see what happens.

"Time will tell over the next few months what will happen. I'm speaking to Blackburn at the minute but you never know in football what's going to happen."

I'd be disappointed to see Bentley leave, but unfortunately this is just how football is today. Assuming these quotes are correct it seems pretty clear he is simply waiting to see what happens. If an offer Bentley perceives as improving his chance of achieving those ambitions comes along he will take it, that is very clear. Equally he seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders and will balance his guaranteed place against the risk of not making the team with a bigger club.

Footballers come and go, Rovers go on forever. Sadly whatever fee we get for Bentley we won't be signing anyone as exciting to watch. That's the real problem, he can be replaced in the team but the flair would not be.

Footballers come and go, Rovers go on forever. Sadly whatever fee we get for Bentley we won't be signing anyone as exciting to watch. That's the real problem, he can be replaced in the team but the flair would not be.

What makes you say that? Hughes signed Bentley himself and McCarthy who is a flair player. I am certain if Bentley goes Hughes will look for someone who does something a bit different, thats why we were interested in Huddlestone.

What makes you say that? Hughes signed Bentley himself and McCarthy who is a flair player. I am certain if Bentley goes Hughes will look for someone who does something a bit different, thats why we were interested in Huddlestone.

McCarthy may be a "flair" player if one means he has a few fancy tricks which come to nothing. Personally I don't see the contributions by Bentley and McCarthy as comparable. The reason I don't feel we can replace Bentley with a comparable player is simply this "Who?" Imagine we get £15m for Bents we aren't going to go out and spend it on one player, those players don't come to Ewood anymore, so it will go on 2,3 or 4 team players. Nothing wrong with that but we will just have to sit back and wait for the next "David Bentley" opportunity to arise, and they are few and far between. Not many players of his quality will be allowed to leave the major clubs. I also like the look of Huddlestone but he isn't in Bentley's class.

How much is Ces Fabrigas worth? Well if somebody wants to buy him from Arsenal then I guess the bidding starts at £25m. Alternatively if he had played for BRFC for the past 3 years he will be valued by the agenda'd press corps at 10-12 million. :(

imo Bentley can develop to be every bit as good as Fabregas over the next couple of seasons. Their talents are very similar. Many people have Bentley down as a right winger but imo he has all the attributes to end in the playmaking centre midfield role.

We musn't let him go cheaply.

imo Bentley can develop to be every bit as good as Fabregas over the next couple of seasons. Their talents are very similar. Many people have Bentley down as a right winger but imo he has all the attributes to end in the playmaking centre midfield role.

We musn't let him go cheaply.

Whilst I agree he shouldnt go cheaply, i dont believe he is or ever will be as good as Fabregas.

:rover: I,ve said all along that rovers will not get caught again in the transfer market like last year with mgp and benni,if a club offers £10 million plus they will consider it,i reckon it's a good price for a decent player.if liverpoo want him £10million and pennant would do :brfcsmilie:

Archived