BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see him going to Spurs, if he is to go anywhere it will be for a Champions league club.

Just thought i would post another retarded comment from a Spurs fan in regards to Bents:

"bentley wants to come to a big club like tootenham. when i say a big club i mean a team that can sell out their stadium(cough cough) and do actually sing sometimes(cough cough)."

Simon Garner never agitated for a move, despite being good enough to play for a much better team, yet as soon as Rovers hit the big time he was shipped out. I was gutted about that at the time, thought he should at least have had a couple of games in the Premiership.

If a true club legend can be treated with such ruthlessness, we shouldn't be upset or surprised when somebody like Bentley wants out.

Yes he did. He asked for a transfer and was put on the transfer list, but no offers arrived [or rovers wouldn't sell].

See his answer to my question.

I think Bentley will be off in the summer if we dont get into Eurpoe.

However, wont be too downhearted about it, as a rovers fan, seen it all too much in the past. Players come, make there name here and leave to go on to "bigger and better clubs".

Still, bigger and better players than bentley have come and gone and Blackburn Rovers is still standing. If Bentley goes, we will still be standing.

Interview in today's Observer with the lad. Very readable and interesting insights into his relationship with Hughes, the media and Prime Minister's Questions.

Which is

here

:lol: I enjoyed that interview. Unlike many on here I find him a breath of fresh air, he's much more intelligent and articulate than your average footballer and is only being honest a lot of the time when the questions are put to him, it's easy to misrepresent what he says.

And if he leaves this summer I'd be disappointed but you could also see his point aswell.

Disappointed he chose to have his regular column in the Sun though.

Exactly....this is what frustrates me with this football is rubbish the game has changed so much argument. I've been going now for over 20 years so i'd say I was probably around average in terms of time served. I can't remember a time when if we had a really good player, he would stay with us out of pure loyalty and never move on. I certainly cant remember a time when the players used to catch the bus with us fans and share a pint or two before and after the match.

When was this golden era exactly? The only time we've ever been ultra confident of keeping all our players is when we were either rubbish, or we had Uncle Jack's money, and even then we still lost some. I accept the game has become predictable in the sense of the 'big 4' winning everything, but us losing our best players, always has happened always will.

So, basically, you want the owners to be able to treat the players like crap and not allow them to move unless they don't need them anymore?

There is a fine line between loyalty and indentured servitude.

So, basically, you want the owners to be able to treat the players like crap and not allow them to move unless they don't need them anymore?

You find this argument on a lot of American message boards. You guys have issues. It's not like these men are on the bread line.

Concerning David Bentley, I think if an offer for £12m+ comes from a CL team, then he's off... that seems evident. It wouldn't be so bad for two reasons: 1) That's excellent profit from what we paid for him and 2) that means the manager would (allegedly) have over £20m to spend this summer. I feel like Hughes could really improve the squad with that, even if we lose our best player.

Unless there is a clause inserted in his contract, we could get pretty much exactly what we want - either the right financial sum, or retaining Bentley's services. We could definitely get £15m for the guy, although I would rather keep hold of him.

Exactly where in my post did I say anything like that? I am simply pointing out that as a club we have always been liable to losing our best players as long as i've know. If not down to ambition on the players part, certainly down to financial reasons brought about by the end of the maximum wage as thenodrog said.

I have made no comment on my opinion's on this and certainly nothing to suggest I think clubs should be allowed to treat players like crap.

Yes he did. He asked for a transfer and was put on the transfer list, but no offers arrived [or rovers wouldn't sell].

See his answer to my question.

Correct me if I am wrong den but I believe that was under Kendall when he would not pick Garner for love nor money. I don´t think Garner ever asked for a transfer to actually advance himself to a bigger club. The club he almost joined IIRC was Halifax Town so he was hardly angling for a big move!

As for Garner in the top flight...I think he would have done OK but nothing more. Certainly he wouldn´t have been the big fish in a smaller pond as he was at Ewood in the 80s.

I just heard from a good friend of mine, who is an everton fan, that he saw Bentley while in liverpool on a night out, and he asked him about his future at Rovers and he told him that he wouldnt be there next season, but he doesnt know where he will be. Not sure if there is anything in this, just thought I'd let you know, see what you all think of this. I could see no reason why me friend would lie, but as always you never know!

I just heard from a good friend of mine, who is an everton fan, that he saw Bentley while in liverpool on a night out, and he asked him about his future at Rovers and he told him that he wouldnt be there next season, but he doesnt know where he will be. Not sure if there is anything in this, just thought I'd let you know, see what you all think of this. I could see no reason why me friend would lie, but as always you never know!

I've seen that as well, plus a picture of Bentley from said night out, but with the difference that Bentley apparently was saying that he was going to Liverpool for sure. I'd say it's a case of your friend putting himself into the centre of a story he wasn't really in.

I think the only true part in here is that Bentley was in a Liverpool night club.

Archived