BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also as crouchy will most probably be shipped out in the summer, who would bentley have to aim for? his best quality is his crossing.

Another reason why liverpool won't go for him is pennant who is very similar to bentley so unless pennant is sold, i really don't think liverpool will be trying to buy bentley.

Torres is fantastic in the air, you don't have to be 7ft tall to get on the end of crosses.

Pennant will probably go in the summer, he's obviously not good enough for Liverpool. I've written a few times that Bentley would fit perfectly in to the 4-2-3-1 formation that Benitez seems to be favouring. Now that Europe seems to have eluded us this season, we may just have to accept that Bentley has out-grown us and is going to move on.

Just bought in a charity auction a signed pair of David Bentley's Puma boots.

They are fantastic and 100% genuine.

He has now stopped giving out signed memorabilia as people take advantage to make money.

The boots alone RRP for £90 but these have his name printed on the tab.

Got them for £380.

Anyone got any idea on their actual value and future value if he leaves and when his england career flourishes?

Thanks

If we do end up selling Bentley for a BIG sum, then I for one am excited by the prospect of a handy forward player coming in to replace him. If he wants to go, let him.....for the right price mind! ;)

If Liverpool or Chelsea want him for £15m then I would sell him. However if its Chelsea I would say £13m + Sidwell (As West ham have reportedly agreed a £2m fee for him) or with Liverpool £10m + Pennant.

For me Bentley isnt consistent enough to worth £15m.

If Liverpool or Chelsea want him for £15m then I would sell him. However if its Chelsea I would say £13m + Sidwell (As West ham have reportedly agreed a £2m fee for him) or with Liverpool £10m + Pennant.

For me Bentley isnt consistent enough to worth £15m.

In my opinion the reason for his inconsistancy is persistantly playing him out of position. I know he wants to play central midfield, nearly all wide men do, but he is nothing like as effective when he plays there. He is a winger pure and simple with brilliant crossing ability and an ability to use the extra space he gets from being out of the centre. Played there he is well worth the prices being quoted. He is wasted in the middle.

In my opinion the reason for his inconsistancy is persistantly playing him out of position. I know he wants to play central midfield, nearly all wide men do, but he is nothing like as effective when he plays there. He is a winger pure and simple with brilliant crossing ability and an ability to use the extra space he gets from being out of the centre. Played there he is well worth the prices being quoted. He is wasted in the middle.

Totally agree

LeChuck

Torres is fantastic in the air, you don't have to be 7ft tall to get on the end of crosses.

Perfect example being Speedie ... Owen is not bad in teh air either

Hughesy I have been thinking you have been making some great posts recently but this last one on here-

Player swap deals are virtually history (even the Beattie/Ostanstad deals were totally separate and happened about a month apart)

Sidwell would blow our wage structure apart having gone to Chelsea on a Bosman and effectively wrapped what would have been his transfer fee into his own wage packet. He has also effectively been unemployed for a year so will have a Vogel-like playing-in period.

Hughesy I have been thinking you have been making some great posts recently but this last one on here-

Player swap deals are virtually history (even the Beattie/Ostanstad deals were totally separate and happened about a month apart)

Sidwell would blow our wage structure apart having gone to Chelsea on a Bosman and effectively wrapped what would have been his transfer fee into his own wage packet. He has also effectively been unemployed for a year so will have a Vogel-like playing-in period.

Except he's been training with a professional football team.

Think Sidwell would take a drop in wages to get 1st team football. He is on a reported 50k a week at Chelsea so surely 30-35k is enough for him?

I doubt it. It comes down to who matches his wages. No one likes taking a pay cut. If someone offers him near the same money (Im looking at West Ham or Newcastle) there is little doubt they will get him over a club that would effectively mean he has to cut back his lifestyle. Thing is he would be a first team player at any club bar the CL ones.

Such is the way people work.

We could have a shot at him if none of the big payers get involved. He is a decent player though so i am pretty sure they will.

He has also effectively been unemployed for a year so will have a Vogel-like playing-in period.

That's not true. He'd sign in summer so would have a normal pre-season with the rest of the lads. If anything - he should be fitter and fresher for pre-season than players who've done a full season. It's nothing like the Vogel situation for a few reasons:

1) The deal would be in summer

2) He's been training with a Premiership Club - and made 23 appearances for them

3) He's already played in the Premiership before - unlike Vogel

To suggest he'd need a Vogel-like playing in period is daft! :rolleyes:

Nowadays top athletes do not play as much as they used to. With all of the new training techniques and competition, they work very hard to get and stay where they are. If it were that easy and were "playing" more of us would be doing it. Even during the offseason, athletes are expected to follow a strict diet and training regimen.

I'd suggest that most bench players today could go back in time and be the best athletes in any squad. (That being said, if the best athletes of the past had the same tools and techniques available to them, they would probably still be amongst the best.)

Immigrants working the fields for minimum wage (or below) probably wonder why you can't get by on less than you make, as well. It is all relative. He also has a limited earnings window for his career. True, he will be making a lot of money in that short time, but there are a large number of athletes that have made more and are now penniless. Ultimately it is his choice what will make him happier - earning more money by not playing as much, or earning less money and professionally being much happier. It isn't up to us to judge what is right for him.

Nowadays top athletes do not play as much as they used to. With all of the new training techniques and competition, they work very hard to get and stay where they are. If it were that easy and were "playing" more of us would be doing it. Even during the offseason, athletes are expected to follow a strict diet and training regimen.

I'd suggest that most bench players today could go back in time and be the best athletes in any squad. (That being said, if the best athletes of the past had the same tools and techniques available to them, they would probably still be amongst the best.)

Immigrants working the fields for minimum wage (or below) probably wonder why you can't get by on less than you make, as well. It is all relative. He also has a limited earnings window for his career. True, he will be making a lot of money in that short time, but there are a large number of athletes that have made more and are now penniless. Ultimately it is his choice what will make him happier - earning more money by not playing as much, or earning less money and professionally being much happier. It isn't up to us to judge what is right for him.

Who's judging - just saying its poor excuse for not moving at that level of pay

If they want to play football they will move

What worries me is the "let's sell Bentley" brigade who seem not just to be thinking like me that we might lose him, but are actively seeking to get rid. You don't become a better team by selling quality players unless you absolutely have to. We don't currently have to sell him. We might choose to but it won't be without a replacement lined up and I think he'll understand that even if he does want to go.

He's the leader of the "sell Bentley" brigade. We may be able to buy more players but will they be of the calibre of Bentley and will the better players want to come here if we sell arguably our best player. That surely says lack of ambition to footballers who are not all blessed with the brains to think beyond the obvious.

Archived