BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

My view on Bentley (for what it is worth).

1. Irrespective of his contract situation - his drive and determination in Rovers colours still shines through. I think when you draw parallels between Becks and Bentley - the main thing they seem to have in common is their work rate.

2. Lets not get too drawn on the "arrogant" label that he gets labeled with. Yes he does say some stupid things in the press - but I would rather have 11 ambitious players playing for Rovers rather than 11 just turning up for the money (as that is the alternative). His ambition for himself has always reflected in his view on Rovers - i.e. he wants to play in Europe, but has always said that he wants to do that with Rovers.

3. Personally I think he would be daft to leave at this moment in time. Under Hughes he has flourished - and unless he has a dramatic dip in form has a grip on the right wing spot for England. Leaving for another club could lead to long periods on the bench and subsequent loss of his England place. I don't think he is yet the finished article - and another season of regular football should put him in a strong position to move to one of the "so called" big 4.

4. Personally I do think that MH could use the money from Bentley to good effect - possibly making the team stronger as a whole. However - I thought that when Duff moved on - so what do I know. Continuity is under-rated in football - with a bit of luck and the right couple of purchases we aren't far off the top 6 (pushing for top 4) - so there has to be an argument to keep hold of him for another season. Plus of course, if he progresses as much as he has this season - and continues to perform for England - we may be able to cash him in for even more than the figures currently in the press.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My view on Bentley (for what it is worth).

1. Irrespective of his contract situation - his drive and determination in Rovers colours still shines through. I think when you draw parallels between Becks and Bentley - the main thing they seem to have in common is their work rate.

2. Lets not get too drawn on the "arrogant" label that he gets labeled with. Yes he does say some stupid things in the press - but I would rather have 11 ambitious players playing for Rovers rather than 11 just turning up for the money (as that is the alternative). His ambition for himself has always reflected in his view on Rovers - i.e. he wants to play in Europe, but has always said that he wants to do that with Rovers.

3. Personally I think he would be daft to leave at this moment in time. Under Hughes he has flourished - and unless he has a dramatic dip in form has a grip on the right wing spot for England. Leaving for another club could lead to long periods on the bench and subsequent loss of his England place. I don't think he is yet the finished article - and another season of regular football should put him in a strong position to move to one of the "so called" big 4.

4. Personally I do think that MH could use the money from Bentley to good effect - possibly making the team stronger as a whole. However - I thought that when Duff moved on - so what do I know. Continuity is under-rated in football - with a bit of luck and the right couple of purchases we aren't far off the top 6 (pushing for top 4) - so there has to be an argument to keep hold of him for another season. Plus of course, if he progresses as much as he has this season - and continues to perform for England - we may be able to cash him in for even more than the figures currently in the press.

but did you see Capello's comments in whatever paper today (can't remember which as I read them all quickly online in my lunchbreak) suggesting that Beckham will still have a role to play in the 2010 World Cup if he stays fit! Says he thought he did well in Paris. Well, that might persuade David that he has to move to up his chances of ousting Beckham. Mind you if capello thought Beckham had a good game I don't know what he was looking for because he was pretty darned poor from where I was sitting and that opinion was shared by most of the French people round me.

The Sun's headline is Bentley will stay at Rovers. The story underneath it is just a garbled compendium of what we already know and far less definite. However, given Bent's contract with the Sun, presumably they didn't run the headline without reason when a headline of Bentley will leave Rovers would presumably have shifted more copies in Liverpool and London.

I really think some people think too much of Bentley. He's not a world class player, he's not "deserving" of anything and he doesn't stand-out week-in-week-out in the premiership. He's very good, but he's very good in a way that players regularly are at the top level. A talent worth holding onto, but not one that United or Chelsea are going to break the bank to get a hold of.

People think too much of him because he's English. WHich is good for us if he ever leaves because we'll be able to get a Darren Bent-ian sum for him.

What did people make of Bentleys walk around the pitch at the end of the game?

I thought he looked quite miserable. Hope that wasn't him saying bye! Really worried he is going to leave this summer. :(

He's not a happy chappie at the moment. Hopefully he'll get over it. Too many tricks ending in losing the ball today, he's a bit off form and he doesn't like it. No doubt Roque nicking the Player of the Season trophies didn't help either.

What did people make of Bentleys walk around the pitch at the end of the game?

I thought he looked quite miserable. Hope that wasn't him saying bye! Really worried he is going to leave this summer. :(

I thought exactly the same Hannah.

Perhaps he didnt like being told he is staying.

He was a bit out of it too though because most of the other players had their little ones with them and he was on his own. He'd been frustrated all afternoon cos when he was free people didn't give him the ball and then when he did get it he tried to do too much most of the time. They said player of the season was really close.

I know you shouldnt really sell your best players but if £20m was offered then it would be daft to turn that down. £20m could get us 3 class players.

No point keeping an unhappy player if he would rather be elsewhere.

The most annoying thing I find is that for our previous three games, the Sunday Mirror has given David Bentley MOTM. Thats Man Utd, Pompey and Derby. Never have I seen such a desperate attempt to sell a player.

Especially sseen as he wasn't close in ANY of these matches.

Grass isn't always greener. I've seen Blackburn a bit lately and his trying too much, he still is doing ok though. I think at his age he should stick around under a manager like Mark Hughes, a top manager who will no doubt look after him. It's a risk moving to the top 4 atm, only one imo needs Bentley and that'd be Pool and like I keep saying about Barry for us....why walk into a place where the manager and boardroom are uncertain...could find yourself unwanted by a new manager at any given time.

hmm- we have Bentley McCarthy on our hands!

The Liverpool approach for Barry indicates they have not got the sort of cash Rovers would demand and if Parry offered players whom O'Neill choked on I doubt they would pass on anyone we'd want. So Bentley is not going to Anfield any time soon.

Chelsea are chasing Kaka and Messi by all accounts so Bentley is bound to get a Sidwell/SWP role there.

He's certain to push Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson out of the reckoning at Mancland whilst Park and Fletcher would never darken the OT turf again if Bents went there.

Arsenal of course is an obvious destination where he could admire Walcott from the bench at both domestic and international level next season.

And if Newcastle, City or Spuds come calling, Rovers should add another £10m onto the asking price for the cheek of it.

hmm- we have Bentley McCarthy on our hands!

Very similar to the Duff scenario. IMO Bentley is similarly effective to Duff in the creative/goals dept.

He would be better staying with Rovers for another couple of years, perform consistently and make the England position his own. He'll only be 25 then and will be in a much better position to claim a regular starting position for one of the big four or top Eurpoean team (as well as increase his value). Whether he will stay I very much doubt. Good player but certainly not a loss of Shearer magnitude if he wants to go. Only problem is that we still seem to be in silly season in terms of transfer fees eg Michael Tongue £4 million, Beattie £8million, (unless they play for Rovers in which case we're supposed to hand over a 26 year old, 22 goal striker for peanuts!)

Archived