BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

:lol:

Let's switch it around then.

Who is confident that Arsenal do not have a sell-on clause?

Philip, there's no sell on clause, simple as that. Wenger came out and said as much in an interview about 4-5 months ago. Can't think what paper it was in but he said he's made a mistake as they didnt ask for a sell on. It was a definite quote from him and most definitely stated that there was no sell on clause.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Philip, there's no sell on clause, simple as that. Wenger came out and said as much in an interview about 4-5 months ago. Can't think what paper it was in but he said he's made a mistake as they didnt ask for a sell on. It was a definite quote from him and most definitely stated that there was no sell on clause.

He definitely said there was no buy back clause in this story No regrets for Arse] but that's not the same as no sell on clause which I can't find a quote for.

Maybe it's time for Bentley to come and state his intentions...If he wants to stay come out and say so...If he wants a move ditto...What ever happens players come and go it is the way of things these days..It's the way we are not being given any clue on his willingness to stay that winds me up...I will not hate him if he goes...we will get a big payout and can look for new talent..If he stays he will be a great asset to the club...But lets hear it one way or the other...

Vela, Walcott, Diaby, Reyes, Van Persie, Fabregas, Senderos, Djourou, Clichy, Smith, Muamba, Larsson, Bendtner, Lupoli, Gilbert and even Song

Vela, Walcott, Van Persie, Fabregas, Clichy and Bendtner all look like they will be/are top class/world class players.

There are a few others coming through.

That isn't a bad conversion rate really;

A villa fans response when i said it would be a sideways step for Bentley to go to Villa:

"How can you say that moving to Villa would be a sideways step? We are bigger than Blackburn and with signings like him we would be moving towards the next level. Champions league here we come""

Reminds me of the usual drivel thats comes with Spurs, i didn't know Villa fans have this delusion of grandeur problem as well???

Will never be more than a fringe player at best. I can see him move to a bottom half side sometime soon...

I like him. I think he's someone who would score a lot of goals with regular football.

A villa fans response when i said it would be a sideways step for Bentley to go to Villa:

"How can you say that moving to Villa would be a sideways step? We are bigger than Blackburn and with signings like him we would be moving towards the next level. Champions league here we come""

Reminds me of the usual drivel thats comes with Spurs, i didn't know Villa fans have this delusion of grandeur problem as well???

Heard the same type of drivel when Bellamy turned them down for us. Some Villa fans that I know didn't take to kindly to lil ol' Rovers getting their man. I think the same could've been said about some Celtic fans too at the time, as he'd been on loan with them beforehand too.

LT.

Hughes said: "We've offered David a new contract to reward him for the season he has just had.

"If he doesn't sign it then it's not a problem, we'll just stay as we are and move forward.

"We'll probably have to put up with a lot of speculation about David's situation over the summer, but I've said it so many times now that I'm sure everyone is clear about my view on it.

"We haven't put a price on his head, and we are not going to.

Guest Kamy100

Seems as though Hughes is pretty relaxed about the Bentley situation and definately not a "accept contract or leave" situation.

villa have a billionaire owner. enormous fan base and big history.

i'd say there were definitely a bigger club than Blackburn. do they have a better chance of getting into the top 4 than us? Well frankly, yes they do. They seem to be very well run these days and have an excellent manager.

Why do some fans get so upset about us being called a small club? We are small club! And I love the fact we still beat the bigger clubs on a regular basis! It doesn't make me any less of a rovers fan to admit that either!

Seems as though Hughes is pretty relaxed about the Bentley situation and definately not a "accept contract or leave" situation.

I guess Sparky has just decided that we will keep him no matter what. Strong position to assume. So the ball is in Bentley's court - basically he has three options

1) Sign a new contract and make circa £1m+ extra this year but potentially tie himself to Rovers for the next 3 years or so.

2) Try to force his way out this summer a la Barry Ferguson by pulling some fairly extreme strops.

3) Or accept that you will lose £1m over the year and play well with an eye on leaving this time next year when the pressure to cash in on a player running out of contract gets larger.

Intriguing game of chicken. For Rovers:

1) Would be best for us although it could result in him taking his foot off the peddle a bit

2) Would be terrible for Rovers as we would end up selling this summer for a reduced fee more than likely. But it would perhaps put Bentley's professional future in trouble a la Bellamy, Anelka etc. It would raise questions about his ethic and temprement- as it should - and could put him on a path where he ends up turning out in the latter stages of his career for West Ham or Bolton rather than Man Utd or Chelsea.

3) Would be okay, but it would leave us in the position where we could see him go for a smaller price.

If Bentley looks at it rationally he might decide that ultimately 1) is the best option. More money in the short term, settles him to concentrate on playing good football, a guaranteed starting place also, even if there is no European football and the level of investment at Rovers is less than competitive. It's not in his interest to throw a wobbly, and losing a million quid is a pretty big deal....

We shall see.

villa have a billionaire owner. enormous fan base and big history.

i'd say there were definitely a bigger club than Blackburn. do they have a better chance of getting into the top 4 than us? Well frankly, yes they do. They seem to be very well run these days and have an excellent manager.

On the history front I think we can claim to be Villa's equals. Fan base is somewhat larger but radically shrunk over the last fifteen years or so. THat said if they get into the top four they would come out of the wood work again.

On the "do they have a better chance of getting into the CL" front I am not actually that convinced. There squad is about the same quality as ours and the sorts of players they have been bringing in, despite them costing a fair bit, have not filled me with fear. I think we will still be on the same footing as them come next season. O'Niell's workings in the transfer market, Young aside, have been pretty average. Their shape doesn't seem that balanced, and they are too reliant on a pacy counter attack and the long ball for my liking. I think if they play the same system next year they are going to struggle as when teams rock up at Villa Park they will sit back and offer them few counter options.

Spurs, Rovers, Portsmouth, Everton all have much better balance and flexibility in their squads for me.

On the history front I think we can claim to be Villa's equals.

Villa have 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, 1 Champions League and 1 European Super Cup win.

We have 3 league titles, 6 FA Cups and nothing of note in Europe.

And since the premier league started - whats the comparison? Not just on trophies, but league placings, european competition.

Villa have a bigger fan base, but they are from englands 2nd biggest city. We have a small fan base, both clubs are progressing and both clubs are very similar. Villa have more pace, we have more quality and a stronger squad/ team.

Overall we are very equal despite spending less cash than them as usual. Dont forget if we hadnt messed it up at Birmingham we would be 6th, not them!

I'm with AndyC on this one. It really winds people up when you just accept that we're a small club - but we're challenging these so called massive clubs.

I love the Small Town in Europe...Again banner.

• 2 weeks later...

Bentley driven on by England hunger

Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Bentley believes in his own ability - but is itching for his England career to fully take off.

Bentley enjoyed another impressive season at Ewood Park, scoring nine goals, with his form reportedly attracting the interest of Liverpool.

The 23-year-old is currently vying for his second international start when England take on the United States on Wednesday.

But Bentley admits he has yet to achieve true success at either club or international level - something he hopes to put right in the near future.

"I play week in and out in the Premier League," he told the News of the World. "I'm told my name is being touted around by the bigger teams.

"I've played for England and I live a great life. But I've done nothing yet. I've won nothing. I haven't competed in an international competition for England, let alone, say, a Champions League final.

"People may respect what I have done with Blackburn and I'm thankful for that. But, believe me, there is a lot more to come.

"I want to be judged alongside the best in the big games that really matter for both club and country.

"Success not money drives me on. I'm still waiting for my international career to take off. That means, I suppose, replacing David Beckham on the right wing.

"What a player to try and take over from but I think I'm closing the gap. I want his place.

"When [England manager Fabio] Capello is there I just do my job. I can't help but respect him. I hope he trusts me as a player.

"When I get a chance in big games for England I have to perform. If I don't I won't be able to live with myself."

<_<

The boy's attitude problems are really back, I'd be pleased to be done with him at this point.

We've seen better players at this club in recent years, maybe someone should remind him of that.

Archived