BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Evaluation might be more accurate if you were able to watch him from pitchside eddie.

Well, I have seen him pitchside this season, I've also seen every single one of our games on TV either live or delayed. Now, despite what many of the football experts we have on here think, the advantage to being pitchside versus TV isn't that huge. It allows one to assess movement, effort, defensive work and things like that better, but when we are talking about OPTA stats which are purely related to things done with the ball (which is where the camera tends to focus), I think I can still pass judgement.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I have seen him pitchside this season, I've also seen every single one of our games on TV either live or delayed. Now, despite what many of the football experts we have on here think, the advantage to being pitchside versus TV isn't that huge. It allows one to assess movement, effort, defensive work and things like that better, but when we are talking about OPTA stats which are purely related to things done with the ball (which is where the camera tends to focus), I think I can still pass judgement.

Have it your way..... but you're way wrong. Otherwise why would anybody pay scouts? Rem we bought Grabbi on the strength of a video recording! Given the benefit of watching him live .... even for 45 mins .... we shouldn't have touched him with a barge pole at 10% of the money.

You pay scouts for the very fact that you can't judge a player perfectly from TV. It's quite difficult to judge pace at times and as I said, there are other important areas of the game that you can't see as the camera can't be on the player the entire time. Having said that, TV still allows you to make a fair assessment and as the stats we are talking about are all things that would have been shown on TV the advantage of being pitchside simply isn't there.

Bentley has been one of our best players throughout the season (possible exception being towards the end), I've never said anything different. I was one of the few people who was excited when we signed him on loan, who didn't want to get rid of him before we signed him fully and who has all along thought that he would prove to be a very good player, but I've never thought that we have a player that can't be replaced. He doesn't win us that many games by himself and he never will, he isn't that type of player and he doesn't have that level of talent. With proper investement he can be replaced. That is all that I'm saying. There will be better players than Bentley sold this summer.

You pay scouts for the very fact that you can't judge a player perfectly from TV. It's quite difficult to judge pace at times and as I said, there are other important areas of the game that you can't see as the camera can't be on the player the entire time. Having said that, TV still allows you to make a fair assessment and as the stats we are talking about are all things that would have been shown on TV the advantage of being pitchside simply isn't there.

:rolleyes: In your first two sentences you completely justify my point, renedering your last one nonsensical.

Do you EVER admit to talking shytte eddie?

Sigh, you still fail to miss the crucial part of this - we were discussing OPTA stats. As I've pointed out twice now, those are purely related to on-the-ball statistics (at least the ones that we are looking at), so the advantages gained through being pitch-side do not pertain to the areas of the game that we are discussing.

Sigh, you still fail to miss the crucial part of this - we were discussing OPTA stats. As I've pointed out twice now, those are purely related to on-the-ball statistics (at least the ones that we are looking at), so the advantages gained through being pitch-side do not pertain to the areas of the game that we are discussing.

Have it your way. :rolleyes:

As for me I'm just off to sell my ST and replace it with a subscription to 'Opta weekly' or whatever you recommend eddie then I can be a proper judge of football players like you are.

They should have another catagory in the opta stats, use of mouth

Bentley would be world class

:lol:

There will be better players than Bentley sold this summer.

Yes, but none of them would want to come to us nor could we afford them. We will be doing everything we can to keep him I can assure you of that.

Seems like everyone is sharpening their knives for Bentley already. So fickle. Anybody who says that if they were in Bentley's position they would turn down a move to Chelsea or Liverpool is living in dream land. We are not as good now, nor do we have the finances to get anywhere near them any time soon. Although you may be a Rovers fan, he isn't. If he leaves I'll wish him well and appreciate the great performances, and financial payoff, we got from Hughes believing in him.

If I didn't support Blackburn Rovers would I turn down the move? No.

Would I talk about it before there was any serious interest? No.

Would I talk about it all of the time? No.

Would I act as if I were the best player on earth on the back of one good premiership season? No.

Sorry, but you'd have to be a complete moron to say "you can't judge a players performance at all from TV". No denying that being at the game is better, although TV has some advantages over being in the stadium, but there are still a lot of things you can gather from watching a game on TV.

Eddie, you can't judge players from T.V. performances- full stop , end of the story.

Why so abrupt with that statement?

It's pretty common knowledge that Sven signed Elano, Corluka etc. after only watching DVDs of them. He said he'd been watching recordings of European football whilst he was out of work, that's how he discovered these players. Obviously some football people (other than 'your mate') believe you can judge players from T.V. performances.

Returning to the theme of this thread's title - David Bentley - I feel very strongly that he's determined to leave and there's not much we could do to stop him. With that in mind, I'd be pleased if we got an early sale and money in the bank for Hughes to enjoy some proper spending this summer. We could do worse than pushing Bert back onto the right wing, or utilising Reid there and seeing if we can get his form back. Give Oiijer a run at right back to keep him at the club (swap with Bert when we're facing nippier wingers like Petrov) and use the Bentley money to bring in a really top notch creative midfielder as the long-awaited replacement for Tugay. Maybe 2 midfielders in light of the fact that we've just released 3 players from positions where we arent exactly lacking.

My point is that I dont want a summer of will-he wont-he from Bentley, then if he ends up staying we get a halfhearted 'trying not to get injured' season like we've just had off Benni. I'd prefer big money for Bentley early on and build a strong midfield for the new season since thats where we're lacking right now.

Why so abrupt with that statement?

It's pretty common knowledge that Sven signed Elano, Corluka etc. after only watching DVDs of them. He said he'd been watching recordings of European football whilst he was out of work, that's how he discovered these players. Obviously some football people (other than 'your mate') believe you can judge players from T.V. performances.

One name Ciccio Grabbi! :lol:

I notice Mr Bentley has been at it again another interview. BBC

He wants away folks and that's that.....lets get what he's worth at current market value (15-20 Million) and lets all move on.

Then,with a possible war chest of 25 Million(?) lets finally let Hughes flex some financial muscle in the Summer.

The club is bigger than Bentley,we have been here before with others who were deemed irreplaceable in the famous blue 'n' white.

To be honest, Bentley handles himself very professionally in these interviews and says a lot of interesting things.

Only the media and BRFCS have interpreted his words- just one sentence when he indicated he was not being interviewed on the subject to confirm he had not signed his new Rovers contract- as meaning he wants away etc.

I like his idea of having a quota of three out of seven native-qualified players on the subs bench; I think that might work rather well.

I would hope that the Rovers management are sitting with his agent to strike a deal that goes- either Rovers don't play ball and hold David to his contract forcing a transfer request OR we seek a buyer and if one is not forthcoming by a date no later than 31 July we pre-agree that David will sign his new contract with Rovers.

From what Nico has said about the withdrawal of the new contract before the season end, it seemed that Rovers were trying to head in that sort of direction.

He wants away folks and that's that.....lets get what he's worth at current market value (15-20 Million) and lets all move on.

Then,with a possible war chest of 25 Million(?) lets finally let Hughes flex some financial muscle in the Summer.

The club is bigger than Bentley,we have been here before with others who were deemed irreplaceable in the famous blue 'n' white.

Here Here :rover:

Archived