BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Only the media and BRFCS have interpreted his words- just one sentence when he indicated he was not being interviewed on the subject to confirm he had not signed his new Rovers contract- as meaning he wants away etc.

The Sun, his own newspaper, says he wants to go. That will have been checked and confirmed.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing you can learn from watching games on t.v. is that certain players may fit your requirements , then you go and watch them in the flesh. Sven at City is a good example of why you should scout players - he needed to buy almost a full team in a short period of time so apparently he took the DVD route , the end result was a one or two sucesses and a lot of pricey flops, in some cases it was obvious as soon as they kicked a ball for City that he'd dropped a clanger. All you see on T.V. is the player either near on on the ball, hardly anything of what they do off the ball , if you've played at a level higher than " coats down on the local Rec" you'll know that running off the ball, taking up positions to recieve the passes you never get, marking players that the ball doesn't reach, awareness when the ball is in the other half of the pitch, are crucial elements of the game, you only see some of this on T.V.

One name Ciccio Grabbi! :lol:

I notice Mr Bentley has been at it again another interview. BBC

Souey sent his main scout to watch Grabbi play for Ternana. I'm not sure if Souness watched him live too but that kind of undermines your point.

Souey sent his main scout to watch Grabbi play for Ternana. I'm not sure if Souness watched him live too but that kind of undermines your point.

From what has been said before Souness didn't see him play, which is what you just said. So the point still stands! He made a decision to sign him having only seen him on dvd and that's like watching a highlights reel on youtube.

You have to see a player live to get a true feel for certain aspects of their game IMO but you can get a very good idea of their ability from tv footage.

Am I the only perosn left that actually bother's to read what Eddie says before assuming he's wrong. His point is exactly the same as the point you guys are making. Its funny. In summary:

Eddie: "we were duscussing on-ball stats/skills, which I can see from the TV, the rest I admit I can't see well.

Everyone Else: On TV you only see when someone has the ball, which is only a portion of the game.

Granted, this doesn't stop the usual suspects of deciding he's wrong as soon as they see "eddie" as the poster, but for me, its amusement.

Interesting to see the Daily Mirror can publish a considered view of what happens to young footballers when their heads are turned by the Chelseas of this world. The Sun on the other hand just proves once again that anyone from this MB has sufficient ability to be a tabloid hack. Why is it the bulk of papers like The Sun, People, NOTW use single sentence paragraphs? Is it for the reader's or the writer's benefit? I suspect both given the journalistic standards displayed in most red top rags.

I've seen a couple of Bentley interviews and he seems to be an intelligent young man with some considered views on the game. Nothing to worry about really. As for his "I haven't signed a new contract," if he hasn't signed then he hasn't signed. So what? He could be stating the truth. David Bentley needs to give serious consideration to his talent and ask himself am I consistently good enough to make an impact at certain clubs? Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd would be a mistake as he simply isn't good enough for them. Liverpool would be a good move if he wants to challenge for 4th spot. Each of those clubs would be a good move if he wants £50k / week first and football second. After the top four it makes no difference where he plays his football because he isn't going to make it to a CL final etc. with anyone else. If he has serious England ambitions, given the poverty of the national side and lack of emerging English talent this is a realistic target, then remaining an established member of a good side like Rovers will provide a better opportunity than going to the likes of Spurs.

He'll either stay and establish himself in the England side or go to the big four and disappear from the scene like so many before him. Damien Duff anyone?

The thing is that, in this case, Rovers do hold all the cards.

Bentley has 3 years left on his current contract. If he doesn't want to sign another one - fine. He can continue playing on his current wage. For the next year at least, Bentley's valuation isn't going to reduce much providing he continues to perform. In fact, if he cements his England place over the next year his valuation could keep going up. The only reason Rovers should sell him now is if we get silly money.

Of course, if Rovers refuse to sell him then Bentley could see his arse and stop performing (a la McCarthy). However, that's totally counter-productive for him as the only way he's going to get his big move is if he keeps playing well.

Next summer it will be a different story. Bentley will be a year nearer the end of his contract and his valuation will start to fall dramatically over the following months. That is the time the club will be forced to sell him if they want a decent sum.

Right now though, the only reason Rovers should sell him is if Hughes thinks he can improve the team with the money. Personally, I think he'll be very hard to replace.

Pure speculation but do you think IF Sparky gets the nod at Chelsea he will want to take his star man with him?

To be honest, i'm not fussed one way or the other if he leaves. He's a good player, but he is not indespensable to the team and could be replaced for much less than we get for him.

If Bentley was to go, I really wouldn't be bothered. He obviously doesn't want to play for us anymore, and to be honest, I would snapa any bodies hand off who offered £15m.

He is starting to believe his own hype and he doesn't perform on a regular basis for me.

Am I the only perosn left that actually bother's to read what Eddie says before assuming he's wrong. His point is exactly the same as the point you guys are making. Its funny. In summary:

Eddie: "we were duscussing on-ball stats/skills, which I can see from the TV, the rest I admit I can't see well.

Everyone Else: On TV you only see when someone has the ball, which is only a portion of the game.

Granted, this doesn't stop the usual suspects of deciding he's wrong as soon as they see "eddie" as the poster, but for me, its amusement.

Shhh don't talk sense, they won't like you.

Thank you for pointing that out though. Some of them can be slow on the up-take.

The thing is that, in this case, Rovers do hold all the cards.

Bentley has 3 years left on his current contract. If he doesn't want to sign another one - fine. He can continue playing on his current wage. For the next year at least, Bentley's valuation isn't going to reduce much providing he continues to perform. In fact, if he cements his England place over the next year his valuation could keep going up. The only reason Rovers should sell him now is if we get silly money.

Of course, if Rovers refuse to sell him then Bentley could see his arse and stop performing (a la McCarthy). However, that's totally counter-productive for him as the only way he's going to get his big move is if he keeps playing well.

Next summer it will be a different story. Bentley will be a year nearer the end of his contract and his valuation will start to fall dramatically over the following months. That is the time the club will be forced to sell him if they want a decent sum.

Right now though, the only reason Rovers should sell him is if Hughes thinks he can improve the team with the money. Personally, I think he'll be very hard to replace.

I completely agree.

The parallel with McCarthy is an interesting one- if Sparky does go to Chelsea, he's unlikely to be interested in taking a player he failed to motivate this last season and Benni might well have found he has missed out on his dream Chelsea move by wanting it too much.

Certainly Rovers have to play the Bentley situation cool whilst there is such a big question mark over Sparky staying and then they will have every right to refuse to do anything until Sparky's successor has had a good chance to assess what he wants to do.

If Liverpool really wanted Bentley, they would have made a clinical swoop at the required £15m price. Personally, I think that is every bit as much a snip as Bellamy was at £6.5m and there is no excuse for them not producing an offer of £15m if they are serious. Being serious means both wanting a player AND having the wherewithall to get him.

I would imagine any club interested in buying a Liverpool cast-off knows how weak Liverpool's bargaining position is and are in no rush to pay the Liverpool asking price. The Liverpool dump list has been known for a couple of weeks now and there are no reports of a rabble descending on Anfield wanting to snap them up. Martin O'Neill's dismissive reaction to the Gareth swap bid could have caused a lot of down-pricing on the 'pool cast-offs.

im getting sick and tired of this whole Bents saga.If the lad wants to leave,then he must go.He is a talented player,and has been brilliant for us,but he is replaceable.I just think the fans are getting too bloody emotional about this,and he is just like alot of players that come here.Bents carreer was going nowhere,before he came here...Got into the england squad,and now he has a big head waiting to explode.He is just seriously pissing me off right now.if he wants to go,then im sure there is somebody equally capable.If we can get Jefferson Farfan,Michael Bradley,Huddlestone,Pennant/Lennon into the team,for a combined 15 mill,then i would be happy with that.

Clubs can never hold all of the cards; he knows it and we know it. We're in a fairly strong position and we can't be forced into doing anything at the moment, but let's not be foolish and think that we're in a perfect position.

In terms of tonights match who do you reckon will start on the right?

It should be Bentley, but I reckon he will play Beckham from the start.

If that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see him writing his transfer request on his knee during the first half

Beckham plays in a joke league.

Yeah but he is playing!

It was a role reversal last time, where Bentley was playing and Beckham wasn't. Now the boot is on the other foot it'll be interesting to see who he picks.

Archived