BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Ashley Ward was possibly the worst striker I've seen at Ewood. He had no power in his shot, had no pace whatsoever and couldn't head a ball. You think he was a good striker? I'm not having any of that.

As for Henry, he was played as an out and out winger at Juve, he wouldn't score goals there. The reason he became phenomenal at Arsenal wasn't because his coaches taught him how to strike a ball, or even how to open up a defence, they gave him an entirely different role. You can't teach what Henry has got, that's my point regarding Lennon.

Although, I disagree with Den's argument, I think he's right about Henry. Arsenal gave him the environment to flourish - I don't believe they 'made' him. At Monaco, he was prolific in the Champions League, I remember, although I'm not sure where he played. Football performances have a lot to do with the player's mental state. At Arsenal, I just believe that he regained his self-belief and always was a phenomenal player.

However, a better example, which I mentioned above, is Jamie Carragher. Liverpool fans will tell you that he started off as someone who was uncomfortable on the ball and seemed destined for a career as a rugged utility man. Now, his passing is so good that he has put in decent midfield performances for England.

Technique can always be improved with practice and the correct training. How much it can be improved is debatable. The mental qualities - vision, creativity, awareness - are, I suspect, virtually impossible to teach (which is why Brett Emerton will never be the great player his physical abilities promise).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this "no end product" matra about Lennon is a myth. He is not a great crosser but he is more than capable of making assists. According to the Prem League Fantasy stats (no idea how accurate they are) Lennon made 6 assists last season, in what was a poor, injury-hit campaign for him. The season before he was arguably Spurs most influential attacking midfielder.

He played in 47 matches.........

In our current situation surely we are better off with £15m+ in the bank than an unhappy David Bentley kicking around the place. I'd like him to stay but he's worth more to the club if he's sold now. I have a horrid feeling Bentley will be another in a long line of players who discovered the grass isn't greener.......can't think of a better club than Rovers that will give him regular first team football.

Today's Guardian is reporting that Bentley has only one year left on his contract and that City are preparing a £7m bid. This completely contradicts their in-depth article on Bentley on 27 May that said he signed a 4 yearcontract last year and that there is no let-out. One of these reports is clearly wrong - the latest one I hope!

In our current situation surely we are better off with £15m+ in the bank than an unhappy David Bentley kicking around the place. I'd like him to stay but he's worth more to the club if he's sold now. I have a horrid feeling Bentley will be another in a long line of players who discovered the grass isn't greener.......can't think of a better club than Rovers that will give him regular first team football.

Problem is that if he goes it gives the message to the others and their agents that the club is on the slide. We saw all this happen with the break up of the class of 95 after Shearer went. One by one they were got at. The Prem is a tough track when the rot sets in.

Problem is that if he goes it gives the message to the others and their agents that the club is on the slide. We saw all this happen with the break up of the class of 95 after Shearer went. One by one they were got at. The Prem is a tough track when the rot sets in.

Correct Theno. At this moment in time it's vital that rovers stand firm.

The Prem is a tough track when the rot sets in.

Agreed. But surely with 4-5 weeks before pre season training starts no players will be allowed to leave at the moment? All the paper talk about Brad to Villa, Bents to City, Roque to United is just that. They'll be more to come no doubt (Warnock to Liverpool for 50p and a Euro 2008 sticker album perhaps? Benni to Stoke for £8.99? Th'Axe to Real Madrid for a hundred million Euros?).

Chairman Williams will sanction nothing at the moment. While the press and agents have a burster.

Having said that I agree Theno, the next manager has to be a strong character, someone that the current squad will look up to, will respect, will want to play for.

Back to Bentley - like many others I'd take £15m, after all he clearly believes he needs to play elsewhere to get in the England team. Try the MLS then Dave eh? After all you've no chance with BRFC have you?

Correct Theno. At this moment in time it's vital that rovers stand firm.

Then we all agree ... :)

A week ago I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if Bentley had gone for around the £10 m mark - now he must stay until the new man has bedded in .

A problem far , far greater than Bentley going is that of the rumours surrounding Santa Cruz - now that would be devastating .

Agreed. But surely with 4-5 weeks before pre season training starts no players will be allowed to leave at the moment? All the paper talk about Brad to Villa, Bents to City, Roque to United is just that. They'll be more to come no doubt (Warnock to Liverpool for 50p and a Euro 2008 sticker album perhaps? Benni to Stoke for £8.99? Th'Axe to Real Madrid for a hundred million Euros?).

He's worth more than that surely?

after all [bentley] clearly believes he needs to play elsewhere to get in the England team

I disagree. I don't recall him ever saying he feels he needs to be at a bigger club to break into the England team but let's look at the evidence. He has broken into the England SQUAD at least, as a regular. The press and commentators are all saying what an excellent season he has had and how he is an exceptional talent whose crossing ability is in the same league as Beckham's (this I disagree with but I've heard it said by commentators on England games) plus he can run with the ball and whilst not fast has more pace than Beckham ever did and certainly enough to torment a full back especially considering how quickly he can turn and go the other way. Infact most commentators and press I see are saying he should be the regular right midfielder for England next season. To me that says he has been noticed whilst at Blackburn and the full extent of his ability has been recognised whilst at Blackburn.

I don't dispute that he may wish to play elsewhere but for totally different reasons: he wants to play Champions League football and he wants to win trophies. In our favour he is still young and as such we may be able to convince that he does not need to move on just yet as he will continue to get opportunities for the next few years. I hope we can keep him here for at least another season because whatever we can get for him this summer we will still be able to get next summer (I believe he has at least 3 years to run on his contract so that's not an issue?). Most importantly, I don't think we can replace him but that may well come down to who our next manager is. Neither Allardyce or McClaren are capable of tempting someone of Bentley's ability to Blackburn, someone else may be though.

Apart from the latter two would jump at the chance to go to either of those teams. Is that not obivous?

I don't know. To you maybe. To others I can't say. I've no idea. Let's go with "yes" though. It'll be easier.

no point in keeping him. he will probably do a benni and have a bad season next year, leaving us with a much less valued player when we want to sell next year. we just have to hope for as many bidders as possible and sell as fast as we can.

no point in keeping him. he will probably do a benni and have a bad season next year, leaving us with a much less valued player when we want to sell next year.

I doubt this will happen - he still needs to prove himself, get into the England squad etc, if we keep him and he plays badly no Champions League clubs will want to come in for him.

Archived