BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

This is all part of our slide down to the Championship. We all knew this would happen when Mark Hughes left to fulfil his ambitions. What sort of impression does that give to our promising young players?

Santa Cruz will most definitely NOT be at Ewood next season.

And Rovers WILL be bottom half finishers next season with a close relegation battle that we haven't seen in a good few years.

RIP Blackburn Rovers. You gave us good memories.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all part of our slide down to the Championship. We all knew this would happen when Mark Hughes left to fulfil his ambitions. What sort of impression does that give to our promising young players?

And Rovers WILL be bottom half finishers next season with a close relegation battle that we haven't seen in a good few years.

Its not that bad yet.

We've come through worser times than this and recovered, i expect us to do the same again.

I admit that these are worrying times, but not necessarily the end of our PL status... wait and see who the manager will be and who we have in the squad first. After a few games we will get a very good idea of the way things are heading.

Flabbergasted by Bentley's comments at such a time of transition for the club. Sure he's only being honest but why is he so determined to leave? His head has been turned by his own press and the lure of a comfy seat on a Champions League bench. This is a hell of a way to repay a club who rescued you from oblivion.

Mr Bentley, you may now f*** off.

Of course if I was anyone of influence at Ewood I would simply refuse to sell him. He may sulk through next season and while his valuation would drop (though considering we bought him for nothing that's not the end of the world) so too would his bargaining position in respect of his flash new contract.

Fine him the absolute maximum, petulant i'm bigger than the club i'll engineer my own move in public attitude! Little jimmy hill wannabe tos ser! Kind of thing Real are praying ronaldo will do. Quickly corrcted himself in that interview to say "or europe" after he said he wanted champions league....did'nt want to scare spuds or city from bidding for him then. Stupid,Stupid chavvy,cockney phil collins loving """""""!

I don't think he has said anything that we did'nt already know, it's the same as the Hughes situation, he feels that he wants more than what Blackburn can offer at the moment.

This is in Rovers favour though as he as years left on his contract so the club can ensure they get the right price for him, providing anybody comes in for him.

Grabbi - The main point that most are making is the way that he is talking himself a move now, with the timing of his interview and also by the fact that surely his agent can do all that for him with any so called interested clubs.

Liverpool - want Milner

Chelsea - Who knows? Scolari may want Quaresma or whatever his name is.

United - Ronaldo - No contest!

Arsenal - He wont go back there ever - they probably wouldnt want him back after all his slagging off either

Spurs - Show us the money

Villa - Again want milner, swp

City - Can they afford?

Everton - As above

Personally I hope he stays in spain!

Ruled united out of bidding for him if they ever even wanted him, Fergie would never stand for a player doing that! The ronaldo move is all cloak and dagger friend of a friend said type situation, Fergie would rip his head off if he just blurted out i wanna go to a bigger club! complete knob, liverpool seem pretty strapped at the minute so it looks like either spuds or city unless we get benayounn + Finnan + £8m(cover thier wages)+ dibs on any players on loan(with scouser paying their wages)

See his cocky comment about how Hughes was adamant he wasnt guna let him leave, but he has now left. Very true yes but cant see him following Hughes to City either.

Tottenham the likely destination me thinks - however which wing does Modric play on?

Lennon & Bent for Bentley - would you take that??

Only club who may make a bid is Liverpool, but as with the Barry transfer they want to add a couple of fringe players to the deal plus some cash, be interesting to see who they offer to us should they decide to make a bid for Bentley.

There is never a good time for a player to announce he wants to go, he could have come out and said it after the last game of the season it would'nt of made much difference, wherever he goes it is likely that he will have to go into a rotation system where he won't play every week especially if he ends up at Liverpool, and how long before he starts moaning at that.

He seems obsessed with his England place now and the fact is he still isn't first choice and it must get to him that a player in his 30's who plays in the US is prefered on the right side of midfield.

As long as Rovers hold on for the price I won't be too bothered, we would have made a profit and it is up to the next manager to invest in a replacement.

Want the club to start some kind of "don't buy cockney" policy, they are all homsick chavvy dicks. And a "never sell paraguayan policy!

he's not from the east end of london - he's from peterborough!

I can understand his desire to play Champion's League football but I think he's aiming above his weight class though if he wants to do this whilst staying in the Premiership. Arsene Wenger simply won't have him back, it would mean admitting he made a mistake and paying a lot more than he sold him for to put it right - not a chance! Man United have a far superior winger in Ronaldo (who I believe WILL still be there next season) and similar talent in Nani and their cover for them is pretty good already - they don't need him! Abramovich is so keen for Chelsea to be the most popular club in the world that IMO Bentley is not a big enough household name him and they don't really need him either. Liverpool seem keen on Milner so simply wouldn't have enough cash left or space in midfield to fit Bentley in. I'm sure there are one or two foreign clubs he might fit in with but I'm not sure he's done enough to attract their interest yet - another season in the England squad and this will change.

I sympathise with the ill feeling towards him but is the shoe not on the other foot when we snatch up bargains from smaller clubs than us? E.G. Neill and Reid. ALL players with any small amount of ambition want to achieve the most they can, some players rightly feel they are doing that at Blackburn but Bentley is a very good player who deserves to be playing in Europe, as I believe is Santa Cruz, but as he finished off his interview with "it's up to Blackburn" - he sounds to me like someone who has acted professionally in the way he has expressed a strong desire to the management to move on to a bigger club without throwing his toys out the pram and making demands. The things he said in his interview seem to reflect that too. The obvious retort to that is that it was unprofessional to go public and say that but in truth it is something we already knew because, among other things, Hughes hinted at it himself when he publicly stated that he would force Bentley to remain at Blackburn. As has already been said above, it sounded like Bentley had consumed a few before that interview which you can't hold against him being as these are his summer holidays and he has no commitments to England right now. This maybe loosened him a little and made it easier for the press to force him to talk publicly, maybe even put words into his mouth to some extent.

I just thought given the amount of mud being thrown at him that someone should try and take off the blue tinted goggles and find something good worth saying about him. Finally, IMO he has repaid the club for the confidence they showed in him and the gamble they took in the way he has played and the hefty profit his possible sale would generate. If the club decide to sell I'll be gutted but can understand Bentley's choice and for now it is worth remembering that it is up to BRFC and not Bentley and at least respect Bentley for acknowledging that fact.

I can understand his desire to play Champion's League football but I think he's aiming above his weight class though if he wants to do this whilst staying in the Premiership. Arsene Wenger simply won't have him back, it would mean admitting he made a mistake and paying a lot more than he sold him for to put it right - not a chance! Man United have a far superior winger in Ronaldo (who I believe WILL still be there next season) and similar talent in Nani and their cover for them is pretty good already - they don't need him! Abramovich is so keen for Chelsea to be the most popular club in the world that IMO Bentley is not a big enough household name him and they don't really need him either. Liverpool seem keen on Milner so simply wouldn't have enough cash left or space in midfield to fit Bentley in. I'm sure there are one or two foreign clubs he might fit in with but I'm not sure he's done enough to attract their interest yet - another season in the England squad and this will change.

I sympathise with the ill feeling towards him but is the shoe not on the other foot when we snatch up bargains from smaller clubs than us? E.G. Neill and Reid. ALL players with any small amount of ambition want to achieve the most they can, some players rightly feel they are doing that at Blackburn but Bentley is a very good player who deserves to be playing in Europe, as I believe is Santa Cruz, but as he finished off his interview with "it's up to Blackburn" - he sounds to me like someone who has acted professionally in the way he has expressed a strong desire to the management to move on to a bigger club without throwing his toys out the pram and making demands. The things he said in his interview seem to reflect that too. The obvious retort to that is that it was unprofessional to go public and say that but in truth it is something we already knew because, among other things, Hughes hinted at it himself when he publicly stated that he would force Bentley to remain at Blackburn. As has already been said above, it sounded like Bentley had consumed a few before that interview which you can't hold against him being as these are his summer holidays and he has no commitments to England right now. This maybe loosened him a little and made it easier for the press to force him to talk publicly, maybe even put words into his mouth to some extent.

I just thought given the amount of mud being thrown at him that someone should try and take off the blue tinted goggles and find something good worth saying about him. Finally, IMO he has repaid the club for the confidence they showed in him and the gamble they took in the way he has played and the hefty profit his possible sale would generate. If the club decide to sell I'll be gutted but can understand Bentley's choice and for now it is worth remembering that it is up to BRFC and not Bentley and at least respect Bentley for acknowledging that fact.

Absolute rollocks imo, (Sorry annoyed at DB not you) it's no surprise whatsoever he wants to go, but until he does he is still our player.

The correct way to go about it would have been to hand in a formal transfer request, and for the appropriate wheels to be set in motion.

To do this at this point really is sticking the boot whilst we try to attract a new manager. And backroom staff.

That's kind of what I'm saying. I don't think handing in a formal transfer request is the best possible way to go about it. He spoke to the then manager and the chairman and expressed his desires to move on 'to bigger and better' and was hit with "we're not selling you". He has then acknowledged that he is under contract and it is therefore Blackburn's choice, rather than handing in a formal transfer request. I just think that deserves a little respect; even if he has described the scenario to the public, he still hasn't demanded that he is sold. Granted timing isn't great but he probably wasn't planning on being asked what I'm sure he felt were difficult questions after having had a bit to drink.

That's kind of what I'm saying. I don't think handing in a formal transfer request is the best possible way to go about it. He spoke to the then manager and the chairman and expressed his desires to move on 'to bigger and better' and was hit with "we're not selling you". He has then acknowledged that he is under contract and it is therefore Blackburn's choice, rather than handing in a formal transfer request. I just think that deserves a little respect; even if he has described the scenario to the public, he still hasn't demanded that he is sold. Granted timing isn't great but he probably wasn't planning on being asked what I'm sure he felt were difficult questions after having had a bit to drink.

I would have thought the crack Rovers media crew would have explained to the players that rule 1 is is dont talk to the media unprepared,and certainly dont talk if the sherbet is flowing. Classic media gotcha.

This is where Hughes real value will be illustrated. Bentley will bring in the thick end of 15 million and the new manager will have more money to play with than Hughes ever did.

Archived