BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's kind of what I'm saying. I don't think handing in a formal transfer request is the best possible way to go about it. He spoke to the then manager and the chairman and expressed his desires to move on 'to bigger and better' and was hit with "we're not selling you". He has then acknowledged that he is under contract and it is therefore Blackburn's choice, rather than handing in a formal transfer request. I just think that deserves a little respect; even if he has described the scenario to the public, he still hasn't demanded that he is sold. Granted timing isn't great but he probably wasn't planning on being asked what I'm sure he felt were difficult questions after having had a bit to drink.

That deserves no respect at all!

If he wants a transfer he should bloody well ask, he knows the rules.

What he has done is try to protect his 5%

:rover:

The big mouth probably thinks we should give him credit for being open and honest!!!!

How rarely do we see even the most troublesome of footballers coming out and blatantly stating their intentions this way!

He has gotten too big for his own boots...Let him crash and burn on his own terms then.

Give us 15 million. He aint worth that much.

I've accepted for a while now he is likely to be off, but the timing of his comments and the fact he doesn't want to speak to the new manager to see what his plans are in my opinion an absolute disgrace.

If he wants to go and ruin his career let him, lets cash in.

The lad's a jerk. JW should fine him a week's wages for his stunt.

Couldnt agree more with these 2. He's comments make me sick. Think he should think before he speaks.

With 3 years left on he's contract, a manager with balls could ruin everything for him. Take him out of the squad

and not sell him. That would be the end of the England team for him.

But run along, kid. Make a Duff. Go from star to a ??

And Rovers : Get Laudrup !

I suspect we'll get somewhere in the region of £10 - £12 million for Bentley. Does anybody know if money will have to go to Arsenal as part of the deal which brought him to us?

Also, there is no gurantee that the new manager will get all of the transfer fee. With a takeover seemingly not very likely anytime soon I suspect the more prudent element at the club will want to bank some of the money. Financially, I don't think we are the position of allowing the new manager to spend £15 - £20 million on new players. If we were I feel sure that Hughes would still be here.

John Williams said it will be up to the new manager to decide if Bentley can leave and that it must be in the best interests of the club. It will be a difficult decision for the new man to make. I suspect that if he allows Bentley to leave he might find several others wanting to jump ship - Warnock, Samba & Santa Cruz to name but three. The problem with allowing your better players to leave is that it sends out the wrong message to the rest of the team. Those who harbour ambitions of playing European football will look at the situation and think the Rovers are in decline and will therefore want to follow Bentley out of the door.

We have witnessed this kind of thing so often in the past that I would love for the club to take a stand with Bentley and say he can't leave until next summer. He will then have to get his head down and play well, if he wants to remain in the England squad, or sulk in the reserves.

I must admit that I don't think that will happen, I suspect he will leave and that others will follow. I think next season is going to be a difficult one for whoever gets the manager's job.

Ruled united out of bidding for him if they ever even wanted him, Fergie would never stand for a player doing that! The ronaldo move is all cloak and dagger friend of a friend said type situation, Fergie would rip his head off if he just blurted out i wanna go to a bigger club!

LMAO True ! Fergie would never stand for that.

The big mouth probably thinks we should give him credit for being open and honest!!!!

He has gotten too big for his own boots...Let him crash and burn on his own terms then.

Give us 15 million. He aint worth that much.

Well said !

I've gone from big fan to "get rid of the fool" overnight.

Cant believe he's name is all over my latest shirt :(

This is all part of our slide down to the Championship. We all knew this would happen when Mark Hughes left to fulfil his ambitions. What sort of impression does that give to our promising young players?

Santa Cruz will most definitely NOT be at Ewood next season.

And Rovers WILL be bottom half finishers next season with a close relegation battle that we haven't seen in a good few years.

RIP Blackburn Rovers. You gave us good memories.

:(

In that case then it's got to be Allardyce. Best man to have beside your side in trench warfare. Ince / Maclaren being the last.

BRFC fall victim to the England curse yet again eh?

There's lots of spinless defeatist comment on here. WTF's up with everybody? Get some ###### ffs! Hughes said that DB is contractually obliged to play for BRFC and it is THE CLUB that will decide when David Bentley can go. Though he has gone to City there need be no different stance unless a new manager comes in with a different viewpoint.

Bentley cannot afford to play badly because he needs to be at the top of his game to get into the England set up, and he would be well advised to discuss his career in JW's office not the national press.

We need to play hard ball with Bentley to deter other rats trying to leave what appears to be a sinking ship. The very successful Hughes game plan meant that WE decide who and when to sell and NOT some money grubbing agent and that must continue!

Absolute rollocks imo, (Sorry annoyed at DB not you) it's no surprise whatsoever he wants to go, but until he does he is still our player.

The correct way to go about it would have been to hand in a formal transfer request, and for the appropriate wheels to be set in motion.

To do this at this point really is sticking the boot whilst we try to attract a new manager. And backroom staff.

Fully agree.

Another example of Bentley's lack of professionalism when dealing with the media side of things, and also it seems as though he is in-capable of keeping his mouth shut. They guy certainly doesn't do himself any favours.

I can understand any player who wants to move up to the next level, but there a correct ways to go about these things. I also think that in the instance Bentley has delusions of grandjeur somewhat. Yes, he's been great for us, (although towards the end of the season he did fade somewhat) but I don't think hes anywhere near the finished article and there are a number of flaws in his game (the fact that he still cant get a start for England sureley backs this up - its nothing to do with being a Blackburn player). I think a move to any of the top four would prove far more difficult for him than he thinks. Hes a big fish at Rovers in a relativley small sea - move to the top four and he becomes a small fish in a very big sea - something I don't think his ego will cope with. A move to any other club (Villa, City, Spurs etc) would surely be more of a sideways step than a move upwards.

Going back to his comments, they have made things worse for Rovers in an already difficult situation. They have also done Bentley no favours at all. They only thing I can think is that despite the rumours there have been no official bids, or certainly not that match Rovers valuation. He has come out with a come and get me plea to the big four. Problem for him is, whilst he may be on the "possibles" list for a number of clubs, that doesnt mean that they will come in and make a firm offer, particularly one which matches our valuation - remember he has 3 years left on this contract. Has he even considered what happens if nobody agrees a deal for him this summer? He's hardly going to be welcomed at Rovers with open arms after his comments. This has the potenital to backfire spectacularly!

... and the fact he doesn't want to speak to the new manager to see what his plans are in my opinion an absolute disgrace.

Yep, agree. There is absolutely no excuse for the timing, because it is completely unreasonable to not wait until the managerial appointment. Even if he is absolutely set on a move, the timing is tactless. Only excuse would be if the club was dragging its feet in making the managerial appointment, which it is not.

See his cocky comment about how Hughes was adamant he wasnt guna let him leave, but he has now left. Very true yes but cant see him following Hughes to City either.

Hughes good character would have been highly damaged if he sold Bentley off just before buggering off himself.

There's lots of spinless defeatist comment on here. WTF's up with everybody? Get some ###### ffs! Hughes said that DB is contractually obliged to play for BRFC and it is THE CLUB that will decide when David Bentley can go. Though he has gone to City there need be no different stance unless a new manager comes in with a different viewpoint.

Bentley cannot afford to play badly because he needs to be at the top of his game to get into the England set up, and he would be well advised to discuss his career in JW's office not the national press.

We need to play hard ball with Bentley to deter other rats trying to leave what appears to be a sinking ship. The very successful Hughes game plan meant that WE decide who and when to sell and NOT some money grubbing agent and that must continue!

There you go. Thank God that some of you lot aren't on the board. Problem is if a sensible deal is struck to sell him in Jan / next summer for example the d1ckheads on the Blackburn end will still boo him mercilessly. And before anybody cribs rem we've seen it all before with Lucas Neill! <_<:angry:

btw some other manager is obviously pulling some strings. Bentley reckons he wants to play Champions league but I cannot think of any of the 4 who could accomodate him..... or afford him. I can only think that MU might have entered the fray now that Ronaldo appears to off to the Bernabeau. Bents did put a rider into his media comments by adding 'european' football to his desire to step up so imo that just about brings Spuds and Villa into the fray unless City get some funnymoney from Thailand. After that he'd have to go abroad.

Going back to his comments, they have made things worse for Rovers in an already difficult situation. They have also done Bentley no favours at all. They only thing I can think is that despite the rumours there have been no official bids, or certainly not that match Rovers valuation. He has come out with a come and get me plea to the big four. Problem for him is, whilst he may be on the "possibles" list for a number of clubs, that doesnt mean that they will come in and make a firm offer, particularly one which matches our valuation - remember he has 3 years left on this contract. Has he even considered what happens if nobody agrees a deal for him this summer? He's hardly going to be welcomed at Rovers with open arms after his comments. This has the potenital to backfire spectacularly!

Great stuff mate. Especially "He's hardly going to be welcomed at Rovers with open arms after his comments"

:angry2:

Just a thought. Having one of your star players coming to you, demanding a transfer request wouldn't necessarily prompt you to leave a club. But Bentley doing just that to Hughes certainly would have had to have made Hughes decision to leave for the City job just a little bit easier. Begs the question, were there others that did the same?

Just a thought. Having one of your star players coming to you, demanding a transfer request wouldn't necessarily prompt you to leave a club. But Bentley doing just that to Hughes certainly would have had to have made Hughes decision to leave for the City job just a little bit easier. Begs the question, were there others that did the same?

Indeed a possibility imo Shaddy......

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=618792

Am I on my own hoping that Bentley's career tumbles from now on. It sounds to me that he is believing the hype now I just hope that what ever team gets him will have to wide doorways in the dressing rooms so he can fit his head through

£15M+ and he can go

Am I on my own hoping that Bentley's career tumbles from now on.
Depends, If it all falls down and it turns out no-one will stump up the cash, i hope his career goes from strength to strength.

If he moves, then i wish him all the bad luck in the world - I have no reason to wish any player who isn't in blue and white halves well.

This isn't any big surprise. He's the same guy who seriously p*ssed off Wenger and who had little respect for the manager when at Arsenal. He's a good footballer, but he thinks he's a fantastic one. He can go, he won't do anything amazing at another club and I'd be happy to see us pocket some decent cash.

:rover: bents wants champions league football,he better sign for celtic/turkish champs/lyon because he won't get it in england.great player but name more than one game he has won for us this season :brfcsmilie:

"The situation is I want to move on. I want to be playing Champions League football, or in Europe..." (from today's LET)

But he'd already handed in a transfer request before the last game of the season.

The guy has obviously wanted out for some time whether we qualified for Europe or not.

I think he showed his true colours , complete lack of respect, best thing bentley can do is wake up get rid of his hangover then make some form of apology, then go on to his seat warming job next season.

There are many batter players we could get with the 15m+ :rover:

Archived