BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Why does everyone keep talking about "£15mil+"??? A quite blatant case of over inflating the values of your own players. If the new manager wants to sell him then he will do well to grab £12mil. As everyone seems to agree, there are no better clubs in the premiership which can either afford him or fit him in their squad so he doesn't hold that value to anyone. Abroad he holds less value because he is less known. If he wants to move on this summer and he is allowed to do so it will not be for so much money.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does everyone keep talking about "£15mil+"??? A quite blatant case of over inflating the values of your own players. If the new manager wants to sell him then he will do well to grab £12mil. As everyone seems to agree, there are no better clubs in the premiership which can either afford him or fit him in their squad so he doesn't hold that value to anyone. Abroad he holds less value because he is less known. If he wants to move on this summer and he is allowed to do so it will not be for so much money.

The value of players doesn't seem to correllate all that closely with ability, it comes down to how much they are wanted and how long is left on their contract. Bentley is in demand and has bloody ages left on his contract.

We will determine the terms of his leaving and, for me amongst others, we can tell anyone who bids less than 15 million to get bent.

The player himself is starting to get on my nerves somewhat so I'm becomming more and more inclined to hope he leaves so the new manager gets a nice kitty to play with.

Absolute rubbish! Do you want to give money away? Villa want 18m for Barry and he's older and whilst he has been a revelation for England he is simply a 'water carrier'. Carrick, SWP and Hargreaves also illustrate the value of young English internationals. If Platini gets his way Bentleys value will soar even more. If no one can reach our valuation then he can stay.

No he hadn't. In fact I don't think he's done that yet has he?

"...Bentley first asked the club for a move before the final game of last season, but Hughes told him he was going nowhere..."

There you go TND. No he might not have handed in the request on paper, but he he formally expressed his desire to move on to both Manager and the Board.

I think by splitting hairs continuously you often miss the main point of each contribution.

"...Bentley first asked the club for a move before the final game of last season, but Hughes told him he was going nowhere..."

Where's that quote from? I don't remember that being the case?

If DB had performed a bit better in said last game, and for most of the second half of last season, he'd be playing in Europe next season anyway. Albeit in the UEFA Cup.

There you go TND. No he might not have handed in the request on paper, but he he formally expressed his desire to move on to both Manager and the Board.

I think by splitting hairs continuously you often miss the main point of each contribution.

Your missing one of the main points, if he puts in an official request in writting, he throws away the 5% he might be entitled to of the transfer fee, hence him gobbing off in the press.

:rover:

Your missing one of the main points, if he puts in an official request in writting, he throws away the 5% he might be entitled to of the transfer fee, hence him gobbing off in the press.

Dont forget Rovers only get 50% of the fee as Arsenal get the other half :unsure:

By reportedly turning down a significant increase in wages some time last season, it shows that he's more interested in bailing out than holding out for that 5%.

Even if he was, he's basically painted himself into a corner now.

My point was regarding his claim that he wanted to play for a club in Europe, as reported in today's LET. When he told the Board that he wanted out, we still had a chance of qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

One thing that Rovers should Rovers should certainly do is demand the transfer request so they can at least save a bit of money rather than give him the loyalty payoff players receive when they haven´t demanded a move...which he obviously has via TV.

Seems to me Bentley is trying to burn his bridges to force a move away from Ewood. This is either petulance - was his decision to withdraw from the under 21s last year also? - without heed for the consequences or he must know something we do not. The suspicion has to be that his agents have been touting him around and been encouraged to think teams are interested in bidding for him.

So...is his outburst an attempt to engineer a transfer or force Rovers into accepting a lower offer than their valuation?

The problem with people on here saying that ´Rovers hold all the cards´is that it all depends on the player. A different kind of player would not go blabbing to the media. Or refuse to play for the club like Ferguson did. When players are willing to do anything they can to leave (act unethically according to the terms of their contract) then playing hardball will only result in a more and more diminished fee. If a player is that type who will put his head down and respect his contract then the club does hold the cards...as the club did in some sense due to Neill´s professionalism in being willing to see out his contract yet not sign a new one (meaning they did not have to act there and then but could wait until nearer the end of his contract)...but if they do a Ferguson and refuse to do that then the club is always going to be in a tough situation. Bentley using the media like this is little different.

After that interview it seems like the best we can hope for is more than one club coming in for Bentley allowing us to push up the price a bit through a bidding war...

tell the overpaid baby to sod off to Queen of the South if he wants Europe. Bentley's attitude stinks, either off-load the gobby kid or let him rot in the reserves.

Correct

After that interview it seems like the best we can hope for is more than one club coming in for Bentley allowing us to push up the price a bit through a bidding war...

I'll settle for just one club being interested .....the sooner this arrogant little twerp is gone the better . We won't get much over £10m for him - especially now his drunken views have been aired. The top managers aren't stupid - if they thought he was as good as he thinks he is they'd have moved before now .

I've been consistent in my view of Bentley's jumped up arrogance ever since his antics with the under 21's . Consistent also in my view that a "one good game in three" isn't what the likes of Ferguson is looking for .

Someone on the radio today described him as a "poor man's Beckham " . To Rovers fans with a memory he's a poor man's Duff ...without Duffers class both on and off the pitch !

Fair play to David Bentley, saying it as it is, not like some of these two faced furkers that lurk about the world of professional football in Britain.

Disappointed as everyone else is that he wants to leave but then again, i dont think any of us should deny Bentley an opportunity to better himself providing that offer comes along.

Hes been good for Rovers so hopefully there'll be many more quality players like Bents to grace our famous club.

Fair play to David Bentley, saying it as it is, not like some of these two faced furkers that lurk about the world of professional football in Britain.

Disappointed as everyone else is that he wants to leave but then again, i dont think any of us should deny Bentley an opportunity to better himself providing that offer comes along.

Hes been good for Rovers so hopefully there'll be many more quality players like Bents to grace our famous club.

you are totally missing the point!

there is a right and wrong way to do things

and the gobby little ###### has gone about it the WRONG way

I may be wrong, but I thought players getting cuts of transfer fees went out of the window a long time ago.

He might have a loyalty bonus written into his contract that he would lose if he put in a formal request though.

I may be wrong, but I thought players getting cuts of transfer fees went out of the window a long time ago.

He might have a loyalty bonus written into his contract that he would lose if he put in a formal request though.

same difference,

If the ###### wants a move he should do it properly

same difference,

If the ###### wants a move he should do it properly

Hes not done anything wrong in my view. He does state he wants Champs league so isnt just after cash like LN. I also think that if Rovers turned down low bids for him he would stay, however if they turned down what he considers to be a high bid he wouldnt be happy. I can believe the sell on clause with Arsenal. I always wondered how we only paid 1M for him, although I think 50% might be a bit high.

Archived