BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

that could actually be a very good idea head rover heals

i can see that kind of thing getting taken up by the media!

One footballer for sale. outstanding potential, but doesn't engage brain before he speaks etc

minimum starting price £15 million.

Somebody with a few creative writing skills could do this justice I'm sure!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also love the ebay idea. Be funny after 2 weeks with no bids next to it.

I guess he will leave and I think it will be Villa. Reckon Liverpool will get their man and then Villa will come straight in for Bentley as the Randy one will want to show they mean business.

I just can't understand Bentley's come and get me pleas. He seemed to have such a level head on him until the last part of the season.

I also love the ebay idea. Be funny after 2 weeks with no bids next to it.

I guess he will leave and I think it will be Villa. Reckon Liverpool will get their man and then Villa will come straight in for Bentley as the Randy one will want to show they mean business.

I just can't understand Bentley's come and get me pleas. He seemed to have such a level head on him until the last part of the season.

It's called agentitus

:rover:

I agree with those that say make him stay, we have time left yet.

But we dont want to keep him, if he is going to sulk and play below standard like McCarthy did. If he is going to do that then we may aswell get shut and get some players that want to progress with us.

But we dont want to keep him, if he is going to sulk and play below standard like McCarthy did. If he is going to do that then we may aswell get shut and get some players that want to progress with us.

He can't play below standard because he'd lose his place in the England squad.

Even if he didn't get his transfer to another club, he'd still have to do the business for us on the pitch to keep himself in the frame. The fact that he has 3 years left on his contract means that Rovers have the upper hand IMO and could still name him in the starting XI and expect him to perform. There's no rush to cash in on our part.

I don't think there's any chance he'll change his mind, the best we can hope is that some club sparks a bidding war, drives his price up, hopefully giving the new gaffer some time and money to replace him. Any offers less than £15m this summer should be laughed off, as should any offers that don't see Rovers end up with the majority of the cash upfront. With the amounts that some of the other clubs are likely to be chucking around, there's no reason to accept any less for a talented English player on the up.

Shame he just couldn't keep his trap shut, especially given the siuation Rovers are in currently. As soon as someone puts a mic in front of him, what few brain cells he has seem to switch off.

hmm you seem to be saying two different hings there hughesy.

I wonder what effect it would have on potential signings if rovers were to force Bentely to honour his contract?

Rovers together with the majority of clubs is seen by many players as a staging post to a larger club and a more lucrative contract. If we go down the road of refusing to let players go and demanding that they honour their contract, i wonder whether other players, who could be great for us for a few years and then move on wouldn't come in the first place? Or alternatively, maybe they ignore the fact that there ould be some unhappiness and come because the quality of player could potentially be better.

Obviously this is ignoring that Bentley could become an unholy pain in the arse/any potential transfer fee to be gained

Even if he didn't get his transfer to another club, he'd still have to do the business for us on the pitch to keep himself in the frame. The fact that he has 3 years left on his contract means that Rovers have the upper hand IMO and could still name him in the starting XI and expect him to perform. There's no rush to cash in on our part.

I don't think there's any chance he'll change his mind, the best we can hope is that some club sparks a bidding war, drives his price up, hopefully giving the new gaffer some time and money to replace him. Any offers less than £15m this summer should be laughed off, as should any offers that don't see Rovers end up with the majority of the cash upfront. With the amounts that some of the other clubs are likely to be chucking around, there's no reason to accept any less for a talented English player on the up.

Shame he just couldn't keep his trap shut, especially given the siuation Rovers are in currently. As soon as someone puts a mic in front of him, what few brain cells he has seem to switch off.

Exactly. Look at the lack of "Pedersen to whoever" stories we've read lately.

Fully agreed.

Ultimately his price is 15m. He wants to go, we shouldn't stand in hi sway provided we get the money. His job is to play well enough to encourage a top four club to offer that price and keep his England place. Everyone would then be happy broadly speaking.

If he under performs then a) he won't get a move B) will lose his place in the England team.

I am a bit disappointed he didn't even wait to see who is appointed manager.

Only way I can see us getting screwed is if he starts playing up with only one club offering a substandard price like Ferguson and Rangers. Hopefully if we can get wo or more teams into the market we will be alright. With all the money floating around this should not be too difficult.

Sparky could do us a favour by bidding.

Ultimately his price is 15m. He wants to go, we shouldn't stand in hi sway provided we get the money. His job is to play well enough to encourage a top four club to offer that price and keep his England place. Everyone would then be happy broadly speaking.

If he under performs then a) he won't get a move B) will lose his place in the England team.

I am a bit disappointed he didn't even wait to see who is appointed manager.

Only way I can see us getting screwed is if he starts playing up with only one club offering a substandard price like Ferguson and Rangers. Hopefully if we can get wo or more teams into the market we will be alright. With all the money floating around this should not be too difficult.

Sparky could do us a favour by bidding.

I have a feeling that MH would not welcome Bentley at Man City.

Apparently O'Neill will bid for him once Barry goes and pay for Bentley and Sidwell directly with the Barry fee.

To be honest I'm not sure about it, I see what he's doing to Blackburn and in a couple of years I think he'd turn to O'Neill and say I want to move to a top four club if we don't make it there.

Situations like this are ######, we're losing Barry to a club with quite a few faults that could be listed such as boardroom etc because Barry wants champions league, it's what happens, they go on England duty, probably have a bit of light ###### taking and then all their England mates telling them what they can win if they move on...and they do it. Barry is best mates with Gerrard, it doesn't matter what Villa do we know he has his heart set on it, Bentleys in the England fold he's seen most of them play champions league and he wants some of that. It's annoying how narrow minded players can be some times, or how impatient, as though they'll never ever get another chance to move again, annoying like I say.

I wouldn't want Bentley as I know he'll do this to us in a couple of years time, and I know how you lot feel cause it's happening to us as well, don't blame investment, we offered Barry 80k a week to stay....you just can't hold onto them when those four @#/? clubs come calling.

I have a feeling that MH would not welcome Bentley at Man City.

I'd agree. He seems to have rather an inflated idea of his own standing in the game, spouting off to the media about what is wrong with Arsenal as if his opinions are passed down from a mountain top on tablets of stone. He seemingly has forgotten that it was Arsenal who nurtured him a player. Likewise he has quickly forgotten our role in his burgeoning career. Prior to pitching up at Ewood his only respite from Arsenal reserves was an ignominious loan spell at Norwich.

His performance v Derby on the last day of the season was one of the most irritating I have witnessed from a Rovers player in some time. He obviously thought it was the David Bentley show and he went into Anelka style sulks when his daft flicks and tricks didn't come off.

I will find it quite amusing if the top four dont come in for him. His attitude will fit in well at the Tottenham circus. We will get a few quid and Bentley can take his giant ego out of our sight and finish below us in the table.

......I wouldn't want Bentley as I know he'll do this to us in a couple of years time, and I know how you lot feel cause it's happening to us as well, don't blame investment, we offered Barry 80k a week to stay....you just can't hold onto them when those four @#/? clubs come calling.

Spot on, Tom, that's why it's fun to watch the whole Man Utd / Ronaldo / Real Madrid saga. A well overdue taste of their own medicine!

It’s clear from what I saw of the interview and his comments prior to the video interview in the papers that its Champions league football he wants, not Uefa Cup football.

That reduces the field down to Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal in this country. However I can really see serious doubts/issues on whether they would go for Bentley.

Arsenal- Can't see Wenger having him back.

Chelsea- With Scolari coming in i can't see them going for him, Quaresma is a more likely option.

Man United- In their current system/formation i cannot see them wanting him. If Ronaldo goes that could be another story.

Liverpool- The most realistic in my opinion from the top four clubs. However it’s uncertain how much money they have to spend and whether or not they can afford him.

If these domestic champions league clubs don't want him who will? I know there was talk of Inter Milan being interested, and some champions league qualified Spanish clubs reportedly interested though that was around January.

There are some Uefa Cup qualified clubs from our league who are interested, Spurs, Villa and City. Not sure Bentley would want to go there to be honest as he wants immediate champions league football next season. And then there is the issue of do we want a key player of ours going to our rivals for the Uefa cup spots. I know that’s a bit of wishful thinking considering the mess we are in with the manager, but we have a good squad and if a good manager comes in and does a decent job with the money we could still be a main challenger for those places.

Its going to be interesting to see what unfolds.

It’s clear from what I saw of the interview and his comments prior to the video interview in the papers that its Champions league football he wants, not Uefa Cup football.

I think he originally told JW and MH he wanted Champions League football but in light of none of the big four showing any real interest he's changed tack and it now seems to be any team in Europe.

More like any team that doesn't play at Ewood.

If it was up to me he would be staying until next summer, like it or lump it.

in light of none of the big four showing any real interest he's changed tack and it now seems to be any team in Europe.

More like any team that doesn't play at Ewood.

That was the impression i got too - Also, is it just me, or is it strange that no one has mentioned the phrase "Absolute cowardice" with relation to his leaving it until we are managerless and he is in another country?

Can you really imagine him coming out with something like that whilst stood on a training pitch with Hughes, BFS, Bilic, Ince, or A N Other in the background.

Tonight's Fiver (Guardian) carries a rumour that Sunderland will spunk £12m on Darren Bent. Well if Bent's worth £12m, then Bentley... you all can fill in the rest.

The way Roy Keane is throwing money around, Niall Quinn and his Irish pals are going to be skint in next to no time!

Archived