BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try it with Scrabble scores. It also adds up to £21m.

Is it time to go home yet?

Hell!,

If the Bentley boy reads this his gob will go into overdrive, make that after burner on full.

:rover:

Its interesting to see how quickly peoples views suddenly change,when you read through the earlier pages of certain threads.page 1,we love bents,page 88,bents we hate you!lol

I get heartily sick of people coming on here all huffy cos some player wants to improve his situation and saying things like 'Bents is not that good, if we get 10m / 12m we'll be lucky' or I'll be happy if we get £7m + carlos kickaball! Talk em UP ffs not DOWN just because he's bruised our sensibilities. We're told he's on a 3 year contract so we'd look bloody stupid if we sold him to Spurs for 10m only for Man U to come a calling 2 years later and pay 25m. Why make it easy for them to look like big hitters to their fans and at the same time make us look a second rate, ever so humble soft touch? Draw em on and then slit their throats is the tactic to follow. Big clubs don't give players away to suit rivals do they? Bentley is on the fee reducing game in order to secure a better deal for himself. Well he can swivel imo.

So what do you want us to do , Gord ?

All sing from the same song sheet and pretend he has more than one good game in three ?

Pretend he's replaced the ageing LA Galaxy player and firmly established himself as an England international ?

Pretend that he (and not Bellamy , McCarthy and Cruz) has been our best player for the last few years ?

Pretend he's worth squillions even though no-one has shown an interest yet ?

At the end of the day we'll get the market value regardless of what anyone on here says or how often Bentley embarrasses himself and his profession on Sky TV .

I just can't understand Bentley's come and get me pleas. He seemed to have such a level head on him until the last part of the season.

As I've said many times it's the England curse. The England set up is a nest of vipers. The only benefit to the club of our players turning out for England is that it raises their transfer value :rover: .......... and speeds up their departure :angry: .

The problem with the mouth that is Bentley is that he clearly thinks he is bigger and better than he actually is.

He may want Champions League football and to play for a club that is actually in that competition.

Arsenal and manure wont come near him, I would think that Chelsea and big Phil will be looking elsewhere other than Ewood.

Liverpool might come in for him but as it appears they are spending big money on yet another forward (Villa), I doubt they can raise £15 to take him to Anfield.

Looking at teams abroad who might be interested, well, Inter were mentioned, I doubt they would want him now and I doubt whether any other team would want to pay the money required to take him from his Ewood contract.

The English clubs playing in Europe, spurs,everton, city and Villa and pompy ? Spurs are well documented as being interested, I think City will be sniffing as will Villa if they sell barry.

The problem for each and everyone of them ? They have to pay the cash up front and they really dont offer anything beter than Rovers apart from the UEFA cup.

By the way he has gone silent since his drunken interview I suspect that JW has rammed his words right down his throat, yes David, you may want out but you leave when the club says so and when someone pays up the required money required for your signature.

BTW your a first class pillock :rolleyes:

He obviously wants away but the schlurred move on stuff from Shpain will obviously rebound on him.

Rovers will make him lowest priority now and leave it to the new Manager to have as much time as he feels necessary to resolve the Bentley problem one way or another. That will probably lead to Rovers following Villa's admirable example and setting a price that will be higher than £15m and sticking to it.

I just don't see Bentley being anybody's number one target at the moment.

Here's hoping 'arry can manage to keep his Crouch wadge in his pocket long enough to really muck up Liverpool's entry into the transfer market.

He obviously wants away but the schlurred move on stuff from Shpain will obviously rebound on him.

Rovers will make him lowest priority now and leave it to the new Manager to have as much time as he feels necessary to resolve the Bentley problem one way or another. That will probably lead to Rovers following Villa's admirable example and setting a price that will be higher than £15m and sticking to it.

I just don't see Bentley being anybody's number one target at the moment.

Here's hoping 'arry can manage to keep his Crouch wadge in his pocket long enough to really muck up Liverpool's entry into the transfer market.

Well said Philip. There hasn't been a lot of smoke... despite Bentley's repeated efforts to stoke the flames. He is surely not too near the top of Liverpool's shopping list, and the other clubs that may be interested are more or less lateral moves (IMO). (I'm thinking M. City, Villa, Tot. Hot.).

Bloody obvious...... copy the Villa gameplan. Set a high price and damned well stick to it. Cash only and no cast-offs.

....and if there's no interest at the high price ? There's been no interest at any price at the moment ! With Barry there IS interest - no question . That's the difference .

In the meantime do we let him rot in the reserves while still paying his wages ? Or let him play in the first team again ? I certainly don't want to see him at Ewood again .

One thing that's bugging me about all this business is Bentley's seeming success at conning people into believing that he's the next "big" thing . When the big clubs start bidding I'll believe that . Until then he's just a fringe England squad player with a bit of promise - there or thereabouts with SWP and Lennon.

Don't believe his own hype .

....and if there's no interest at the high price ? There's been no interest at any price at the moment ! With Barry there IS interest - no question . That's the difference .

Really?Villa allegedly interested

more tittle-tattle; Spurs, Man City and Liverpool

Everton?

Chelsea is also being mentioned...Most of it probably economics with the truth on a fairly quiet day but......... :unsure:

Maybe the blinkers come off a touch in the off season or maybe I'm just getting a little bitter but it's pretty simple for me:

Young, English and creative = high potential value. Throw in lots of time left on contract and it means the player will go at the top end of his value range. We don't need to sell and he needs to keep playing well in order to a) keep in the picture for England and B) keep the hope of a move to a 'big' club alive... more reasons that point towards him going for a fee at the top of his value range.

If he goes to a Champions League club then fair enough. Otherwise he's a bit of a prick (continuing on my pretty simple theme).

The clincher for me is three years left on his contract. If it was two then we might blink at a lower fee because of worries of the huge value drop when a player only has a year left. The kid might be being pretty annoying at the moment but I don't believe he's enough of an idiot to totally spit his dummy out if he doesn't get a move, especially at his age. Players bitch and moan about all kinds of things in the off season but once the football starts again they tow the line.

We might as well get used to him making noises about a move because we'll hear about it all summer, in the January transfer window and forever more until he goes. This doesn't really bother me, I just hope the club sticks to their, pretty sizable at the moment, guns and hold out for the silly money that players are going for at the moment.

Now then Mum, I think the big Phil ppointment put paid to Bentley's Chelsea ambitions.

I cannot imagine him replacing lampard with Bentley and I dont see him ousting SWP from the right spot either, he has twice the pace and twice the guile of Bentley.

For me, Rovers sign a right back and put EMERTON back on the right.

As I've said many times it's the England curse. The England set up is a nest of vipers. The only benefit to the club of our players turning out for England is that it raises their transfer value :rover: .......... and speeds up their departure :angry: .

Quite agree.

Hence why Warnock being called up was bad.

Bentley nearly always puts the ball into the box and therefore into the danger area :tu: ...... Emerton for all his physical prowess nearly always hits the full back and occasionally wins a throw in. :(

A lot of indications that Martin O'Neill will bid for Bentley and that Everton would see him as an Arteta replacement if Arteta heads back to Spain.

Of all the teams looking at him, his best career option would be to see what Rovers have to offer followed by going to Villa.

The great thing about Villa is that we can just follow exactly what they are doing to Barry- the latest is Barry has been told he has to formally request a transfer for them to bother thinking about it. That will squeeze Liverpool's non-existent coffers a bit harder.

we offered Barry 80k a week to stay....you just can't hold onto them when those four @#/? clubs come calling.

To be fair to Arsenal, they haven't really played that game much... except maybe with Theo Walcott. And some other examples, but they are mostly transfers from outside the Premier League where the selling club was well remunerated, despite being unable to compete on wages.

Now then Mum, I think the big Phil ppointment put paid to Bentley's Chelsea ambitions.

I cannot imagine him replacing lampard with Bentley and I dont see him ousting SWP from the right spot either, he has twice the pace and twice the guile of Bentley.

Really? So you think SWP is a better footballer than Bentley?! Really?

A seriously bad idea to put Emerton back on the right if and when Bentley goes. Emerton makes an excellent attacking right back but an out and out winger he ain't.

If Bentley goes we'll have to bring in someone from outside the club.

Moving from club to club helps you and your agent get rich quick...Accordingly to the Sunday times Rich list Micheal Owen is the richest and Damien Duff is the 8th Richest player just ahead of Harry Kewell...

If that's the case, Chimbonda and his agent should be one of the richest around!!!

Really? So you think SWP is a better footballer than Bentley?! Really?

A seriously bad idea to put Emerton back on the right if and when Bentley goes. Emerton makes an excellent attacking right back but an out and out winger he ain't.

If Bentley goes we'll have to bring in someone from outside the club.

Agree, though Bret could play wide right in certain games only but not permenantly, horses for courses as they say.

Archived