SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£15m + Lennon cant be right.

Bentley is good, but not THAT good. It would be a fantastic deal imo.

Amazing how many people have read the headline, but not the detail - £15m deal incl Lennon - therefore anywhere between £8-10m cash + Lennon (depending on their valuation).

For me £10m + Lennon would be a fair deal.

£15m + Lennon cant be right.

Bentley is good, but not THAT good. It would be a fantastic deal imo.

That deal's straight out of the Brian Kidd land of magical numbers. If true, it would make getting money for Dwight Yorke and Graeme Souness seem quite a disappointment.

Amazing how many people have read the headline, but not the detail - £15m deal incl Lennon - therefore anywhere between £8-10m cash + Lennon (depending on their valuation).

For me £10m + Lennon would be a fair deal.

I was reffering to shillito :

"From what I have gathered the talk IS of £15m AND Lennon."

:rover: i quite like the look off lennon, apart from being a pygmy he is very fast,will santa be able to keep up with him.part exchange deals usually work out better than striaght cash.did anyone hear arsenal get 50% off bentleys fee :unsure: if we get 15 million cash it will only inflate the fee off our replacement :brfcsmilie:

Where is this source that says we have a sell on percentage to give to Arsenal. It is utter rubbish, they had enough clauses in his move, im sure we wouldnt of took him if they wanted 50% of any future fee. As far as rovers are concerned, there is no sell on clause. We havent heard anything elsewhere so thats what we have to believe.

Thankfully Ince is sending the right message- Bentley is not for sale and Nicko in the press at least is on message; it will take silly money to take him away from Rovers.

Putting it simply, I cannot see any amount that will replace Bentley adequately in this window. It is one thing Rovers having cash from the sale, quite another persuading players of the calibre needed (eg a full international from Germany) to come to Rovers to replace him.

Lennon is rubbish- end of.

This is an obvious point and perhaps mentioned before, but based on Ince's career history, does he have a leg to stand on when it comes to urging his player to show loyalty? (This is a genuine question because I don't remember the details of his moves).

I thought I'd posted this in here, obviously I didn't. I'm going to put it here as well because it's more relevant.

Bentley is a better player then Lennon.

But then again, if Bentley leaves, we won't get anyone anywhere near as proven as Bentley is right now as a replacement. Who could we get that's better than Lennon? Or should I rephrase; who could we get that has the potential that Lennon possesses?

Mass hysteria seems to grip the board at the moment when we latch on to someone's negatives points (see: Allardyce). Lennon is not awful technically, he can cross and pass, he's just not as good as Bentley...but then very few players in the world can cross a ball like Bentley. The thing with Lennon is his pace and dribbling can get him in to positions Bentley never gets in to, where a simple cross or pass (usually a cut-back) is all that's required.

He didn't start challenging Beckham for the right side in the England team just by being quick. He can be excellent at times, but then he is terribly inconsistent. To me he seems the perfect Rovers-type player; all the raw tools but needs some work. Don't forget for the last couple of seems he's been shoved out on the left sometimes which has effected his form badly as well.

£8 million or so + Lennon would be terrific business for Rovers. Then we could replace Pedersen on the left and bring in someone who will provide assists from that side (Pedersen never does) and, between the two wings, I think we could compensate for Bentley's loss. We should also have change left over to strengthen elsewhere.

This is an obvious point and perhaps mentioned before, but based on Ince's career history, does he have a leg to stand on when it comes to urging his player to show loyalty? (This is a genuine question because I don't remember the details of his moves).
Many will say no, personally, i'd say yes.

His move from West Ham to Utd was the one that really raised the questions, as he was photographed in a Utd shirt before the deal was done - But if you believe Ince's story (i do) it was all a matter of circumstance - It pretty much was a done deal, but would finalise whilst he was on holiday, so his agent recomended he take the photos before going, so that he wouldn't have to rush back. Big mistake.

His move to Milan came off the back of our league title (Hence my forgiveness for his comments about us - We were pivotal in an extremely turbulent time in his life) Due to the progression of a few potential stars, Ince was sold to Inter when he wasn't particularly ready to leave. (One particular youngster was a relatively unknown ginger kid if i remember rightly. Um, Schools or something like that ^_^ )

After that it was his struggle to continue playing that kept him going. There were no real wrangles as it was a case of move down the leagues gradually. In my opinion he was harshly judged at West Ham, and after that there were no problems whatsoever. (As far as i know)

Sorry, I posted this in nicko's thread. Perhaps better here! :closedeyes:

QUOTE(RibbleValleyRover @ Jun 27 2008, 13:03 )

Do you honestly believe that with the players we have and the likely system we will be playing that having Aaron "i cannot cross" Lennon would actually work?

No, probably not, but that isn't to say I don't think he could be effective if used correctly. The same goes for SWP I guess.

He wouldn't be able to get a yard on his marker and send a 20-30yard inch perfect cross into the box like DB could, but he would be able to beat them for pace and get into a position where he could drive into the box or cut back from the byline.

He'd also give us an outlet for counter attacks and the off chance that we bother to put a man upfield from opposition set pieces, which at worst, would at least stop opposition teams being able to throw almost every outfield player into our area (something Hughes didn't try for some reason).

I doubt he'd be as effective as a good 'crossing midfielder' like DB is, but then, I think we'd have the same doubts regardless of who we could realistically replace DB with.

Who would you replace DB with?

OK, the new Manager has said he wants to keep Bentley.

I think there is a reasonable chance that no club which meets DB's wishlist will offer nearly enough to persuade the Rovers to take the cash.

So its 50/50 whether DB leaves or not.

I hope he stays because the lad is class and we won't be able to replace him effectively.

Where is this source that says we have a sell on percentage to give to Arsenal. It is utter rubbish, they had enough clauses in his move, im sure we wouldnt of took him if they wanted 50% of any future fee. As far as rovers are concerned, there is no sell on clause. We havent heard anything elsewhere so thats what we have to believe.

The source was philipl I believe.

Here's an interesting thing that I'd like to see people answer honestly, rewind two years and, even if he had been at his current level of ability, who would replace Bentley with Lennon plus some cash? Dare I say everyone. Now he's 21. What could have changed apart from being used incorrectly, a lack of self-belief or many other things unrelated to ability that can actually be changed.

Anyway. Won't happen.

(On the off chance that there is a sell-on clause, which there doesn't appear to be, then this deal would make even more sense).

Seeing as Hughes must have had about as many clubs as Ince in his playing career...around the same as our former manager I guess.

Here's an interesting thing that I'd like to see people answer honestly, rewind two years and, even if he had been at his current level of ability, who would replace Bentley with Lennon plus some cash?

Wasn't a fan of Lennon two years ago, even less of a fan now.

Two years ago Lennon was probably the better player, but if you compare the Bentley of now with Lennon when he burst on the scene and was supposedly "great" i think Bentley is by far the better player.

Dave Prutton looked wonderful as a teenage member of England under-21s.

Back to the sell-on clauses or lack of them, nicko suggested that the original sub-GBP1 million fee for Bentley would now be over GBP3 million with lots of add-on clauses being triggered by Bentley's achievements.

The only problem with that hypothesis is that the contingent liabilities are pretty well accounted for by transfer deal clauses that were disclosed and there is little spoace in the amounts Rovers have paid for transfers for Bents to have run up an extra GBP2.5 million.

So we are left with a mystery:

- did Rovers really sign Bentley for GBP600K all up?

- or are there some mystery payments yet to be triggered which Bents has not already triggered?

- or is there a sell-on clause?

It depends on how stupid we think Arsenal are- they did muck up on Flamini.

Hi all,

I hate to say it but I get the impression Bentley is doing a bit of a C.Ronaldo type fit to try and engineer a move I wish players could be professional when you say your not leaving they knuckle down and act professionally because at the end of the day unless we receive a suitable offer not including other people's cast-off players we will not sell end of anyway check the links below:

http://www.footballfansunited.com/news/N12...30-493-317.php5

I have to say reading the above article I am incensed yes it is his talent forgets the fact if we had not resurrected his career he would still be rotting in whinger's reserves. We gave that chance and he has to understand yes it is his talent so for obvious talent we should benefit from a higher inflated transfer fee. Unless we receive the full transfer fee not including everyone else's cast-offs inc: Aaron I can't cross for toffee Lennon who we don't want either they should pay up or stop wasting our time.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...icle3839941.ece

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/06/27/be...from-the-big-4/

I like this last one I say go for it force Betnley to work down the ewood park mines might clear his brain!. Tbh I wish he would take McCarthy's example yes last season his head was turned but when MH said he was not leaving he knuckled down and worked hard for the cause and Bentley should realise if a top4 club does not bid for you you are going nowhere so you buckle down work hard and try to improve as a player then maybe in the future if a top4 club comes in for you you might get your wish.

Laters all.

Archived