BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair LeChuck, he said probably, which I read as he was speculating. Other speculation is usually given as fact.

I guess so...although I can't recall Philip saying there was definitely a 50% clause, wasn't he just speculating as well? It's probably not worth dominating this thread over so I'll just leave it after this, I much preferred the Lennon discussion anyway.

It was said on TV that there was a 50% sell on clause at some point in the not to recent past.

I dont believe there is a sell on clause of anywhere near that amount, but that is based on nothing but my own thoughts, so could well be entirely incorrect, as could bazza when he says "there is definitely not" or anyone else who has hypothesised towards a figure.

And what is even more certain - is that we will probably never know what/if it is even when a deal does go through.

Spurs have reportedly told clubs they dont want to sell Lennon and it would take an offer of 10 million to prise him away. I think its a question of trying to show me up to be worth more than he is as to offering him as part of a deal for Bentley to make it more attractive.

For what its worth, I dont believe Bentley is three times the player that Lennon is nor do I think he is worth three times more.

We all know at his best he has been great for us and he is always a threat without doubt, but he is inconsistent and we should be happy that the media doesnt watch over Rovers as it does with most clubs, therefore they still believe Gamst has only had a bad last few months when its 18 months and Bentleys the greatest thing since sliced bread, when we all know he is replaceable...He has made too much noise about leaving so let him go, get Lennon and 10 million and we improve the rest of the team...

Everyone whos sayin if barry is worth 18 million so should bentley!

Think Bentleys price has just been brought right back down with Deco signing for 8 million!

BARGAIN!He is excellent!lookin forward to seeing him this season!

Everyone whos sayin if barry is worth 18 million so should bentley!

Think Bentleys price has just been brought right back down with Deco signing for 8 million!

BARGAIN!He is excellent!lookin forward to seeing him this season!

Deco was put for sale and he is 30.

Bentley is not up for sale and he is 23.

shevchenko was 29 when chelsea bought him for 31 million!

He wasn't for sale either.

Making clear your desire to sell a player normally means you have to take lower as you are seen as desperate. Afterall you can't keep hold of a player for another year after telling them they are not good enough for you.

It was said on TV that there was a 50% sell on clause at some point in the not to recent past.

I dont believe there is a sell on clause of anywhere near that amount, but that is based on nothing but my own thoughts, so could well be entirely incorrect, as could bazza when he says "there is definitely not" or anyone else who has hypothesised towards a figure.

And what is even more certain - is that we will probably never know what/if it is even when a deal does go through.

There might hypothetically be "a clause" but no evidence seems to have emerged that there is one.

Usually when a transfer is in the offing, the press are all over the "Arsenal stand to gain a nice little windfall of x million from Blackburn's sale of Bentley" angle.

If Bentley is off to Spurs, fair enough, but as long as Rovers get a nice big cheque in return, and no, not the ones you see pools/lottery winners holding up in the papers! ;)

bentley for lennon and £10million would be fantastic. lennon could hit the heights of two seasons ago, he has a point to prove, and he has family up here. fingers crossed

I'd rather not have a fingers crossed approach to the possible sale of our prize asset thanks mattyboy. Cash only please.

Can a player be fined for refusing to cooperate and play? If a player, possibly Bentley if it comes to it, refuses to play, practice, etc... can he be fined? Is it a violation of his contract?

Surely he would be incredibly stupid to dig his heels in that firmly?

It is in his interest to knuckle down and get on with it if ultimately Rovers say no, or no one is prepared to pay for him. He won't get into the Englad team whilst throwing his toys out of the pram!

Can a player be fined for refusing to cooperate and play? If a player, possibly Bentley if it comes to it, refuses to play, practice, etc... can he be fined? Is it a violation of his contract?

Certainly he could be fined which would have to be for a maximum of two weeks for any one incident. If he still refuses to play then it would seemingly revert to being Bentley striking. This has not happened very often but there are a few famous examples such as Van Hooijdonk at Nottingham Forest. That ultimately ended with Van Hooijdonk getting a transfer and going on to play in Euro 2000 whereas Forest were relegated and have not been seen in the top flight since.

There seem to be only two ways to resolve this amicably and positively...

1. The short-term option to persuade Bentley to stay for a while longer and give his all while issuing some kind of almost-apology to the fans with a guarantee that should a good offer from a top team come in then he would be allowed to go.

2. Selling him for a good price for Rovers...meaning we made a big profit on him.

The other options are either selling him off for less than we want just to get rid (bad for us) and forcing him to stay and honour his contract. The big problems with the latter option are that we do not know just how Bentley would react to being told to stay, button it and prove himself. We would like to think he would knuckle down, get on with the job and prove himself but we do not know with Bentley...he is young, hot-headed and likes to talk to the media. Last summer he decided not to go to the Euros Under-21s and he announced to a TV reporter this summer that he wanted to leave for a team that was playing in Europe (translation seems to that we are little old Rovers and he wants a bigger team rather than Champions League football per se.)

It all depends on Ince and Bentley...if he is to stay then there is the need for some damage-limitation as otherwise there will be booing and barracking at home games. Not a good route to have to go down. With any luck Bentley can be made to see sense and stay if an offer comes in...but has Bentley ever been the one to keep his feet on the ground? For his entire career there have been accusations of arrogance and petulance from such as Arsene Wenger no less. No smoke without fire?

Ince´s big first test is how he deals with Bentley.

Surely he would be incredibly stupid to dig his heels in that firmly?

It is in his interest to knuckle down and get on with it if ultimately Rovers say no, or no one is prepared to pay for him. He won't get into the Englad team whilst throwing his toys out of the pram!

I agree with your points Hannah. My question was prompted by thinking worst case scenario. I certainly hope it would never come to that. My gut feeling is that Bentley may have that type of temperament and that is from watching his play. He sometimes makes rash decisions. If he could eliminate these from his game he would trully be an awesome player. He has real talent as it is. Ince may be able to reach him in this area where Hughes could not.

Certainly he could be fined which would have to be for a maximum of two weeks for any one incident.

Would that be two weeks pay or a lesser predetermined fine? That certainly would hit a player where it hurts most. I feel we should try to keep DB at Blackburn with (nearly)whatever means. I also feel that Gamst is going to have a bounce back year. With the two of them on their game Rovers are ever dangerous. Especially with the likes of Roque and McCarthy up front. Lets all hope for the best. Keep who we've got and get a couple very good central midfielders.

Two weeks pay. If he continued to refuse to play then he could be fined two weeks more play once the two week period had passed (and so on).

He must really regret speaking to the media about this. He should have simply made his intentions clear to the club, but he's now put himself in a horrible position. If no one comes up with the cash then he is stuck here.

Looks like ince is taking a hard line on Bentley and that he is not likely to go to anyone other than a top 4 club.

Liverpool have upped their Barry bid to £15m so I doubt they will be able to afford him. Arsenal wouldnt have him back. That leaves Chelsea and United. Not looking likely David!

People seem to be getting hung up on how good DB is or what he's worth. Lets not forget he's bigging HIMSELF up here, saying he's out grown the club.

If Rovers cannot convince DB to stay, then Rovers must acheive the best result for ROVERS.

Either make him honour his contract and produce the goods on the pitch

OR sell him for as much as possible. In this case what he's worth comes second to what we can get for him. If DB is as good as he(and his agent) thinks he is in hs head, then presumadely £15-18mill is fair enough.

So from a value point of view the comparison between Lennon and DB are a bit pointless. Spurs want DB but are willing to let Lennon go.

Supply and demand.

please don't use foul language

Agree totally with that about our rivals. We dont want to make them stronger thats for sure.

IF we hang on to all our better players this summer + add 2 more good quality players then i think we are in for a good season.

Archived